New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Beverage shots

Gab01992
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Beverage shots

I have been creating my portfolio since graduated from college past may. I have been posting some of my shots here for feedbacks. There are the recent two shots I did this month. Hope you like it! Thanks!

You can see more of my work here. www.infiinitystudios.com

Feb 14, 2015 at 09:32 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Beverage shots

These are nice and well executed. All that's missing is people.

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:43 AM
Gab01992
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Beverage shots

Thanks. Yes, I notice that as the subtitle of the theme says advertising or studio may be including people but since there is no other theme for this kind I'm posting here. If fred can help me I'll appreciate. Thanks. !

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:50 AM
Allynb
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Beverage shots

Your second shot looks like a cut and paste to me. The bottle and glass are too much out front. Is it a layer comp?

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:04 AM
Gab01992
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Beverage shots

Yes allynb, but the shot was made using the same picture as a background and then in PP added the digital image. What part do you see as cut and past so I can fix. Thanks

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:07 AM
Gab01992
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Beverage shots

This is the setup. The lighting change for the final image but I use the picture as a background. I may notice that the effect that make looks a bit fake may be the height of the image.

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:13 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Beverage shots

The fact that the light on and through the bottle and glass don't match the background gives away the photoshop job. You can't have bright highlights on the sides of the bottle without some of that light affecting the barrel it's sitting on.

The beer bottles are OK but would be better with a T/S lens to bring the main label into focus. Remember the goal of food and beverage photography is to make the viewer want to consume the product, not just make it look good.

Feb 14, 2015 at 02:03 PM
Gab01992
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Beverage shots

Thanks! I'll consider add a ts lens.

Feb 14, 2015 at 02:06 PM
Inga
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Beverage shots

cwebster wrote:
The fact that the light on and through the bottle and glass don't match the background gives away the photoshop job. You can't have bright highlights on the sides of the bottle without some of that light affecting the barrel it's sitting on.

Of course you can...he has. The barrel, glass and bottle are from the one shot. It's the background that is the composite. The barrel simply eats the soft light from the large softboxes whereas the glass reflects them making them appear harder then the lights actually were. Or so it looks to me.

Feb 16, 2015 at 09:09 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Beverage shots

Then why does the lighting look so false?

Feb 16, 2015 at 09:10 PM
Gab01992
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Beverage shots

Yes, Igna. You are right.

Feb 16, 2015 at 09:11 PM
Gab01992
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Beverage shots

May be its the composition itself. The lighting was there all at the same time, there was no fake. The background was added later on with the digital version for details.

Feb 16, 2015 at 09:14 PM
DiPace
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Beverage shots

The main problem with the lighting is that it doesn't match the backdrop. When you use a scene for a backdrop, you have to take into account the lighting in the scene itself, otherwise you have "impossible" lighting, where light's coming from different directions with different qualities. A large diffuser font-left of the barrel, and maybe some fill on the right may simulate the ambient lighting in the wagon scene, as opposed to back and rim lighting. The current lighting creates a lot more contrast than the backdrop shows, which is why there's so much separation.

The other problem is the beverage itself. Part of the problem is the backlighting; it passes right through the rum, with the lighting-gap creating the dark bits. Using cut-to-fit reflectors behind the bottle and glass might allow the rum to stand out.

Feb 18, 2015 at 04:48 PM
eltano
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Beverage shots

Also, I would had showed that the rum in the glass came from the bottle, instead of showing an unopened one.

Just my opinion.

Regards

Eltano

Feb 19, 2015 at 02:25 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Beverage shots

In going back to look at this again, I think one of the issues I have is that there are large bright areas refracted in the liquid and the glass. There are no such bright areas as "motivational" sources in the background. There is no windows or other light sources in the b/g that would cause those highlights.

In addition, I see a dark halo line along the left shoulder of the bottle that doesn't seem to belong.

Feb 19, 2015 at 02:52 PM
Gab01992
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Beverage shots

Thanks all guys! all of your comments are very motivational. eltano, the rum in the glass is the same as the bottle, I bought two bottles. In this kind of shot the product always be unopened. cwbster, yes, your are absolutely right. The time I shot the background at Fort San Cristobal here in Puerto Rico, was a overcast day with plenty of soft light all over the place. There were no other light source. My main motivation behind the shot is this video which wa film there.

I will be writing with a friend of mine which is a graphic designer with excellent photo montage experience and see if he can create something better of this idea. Thanks all for your time! Also I'll be post some other shots I did this past days. Thanks again!

Feb 19, 2015 at 06:53 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.