Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · A wedding in the dark

Ian Boys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A wedding in the dark

Hi all,

I shot this one in December at night time and technically it was by a long way the most difficult I've done. The bride and groom sat so far to the front that only the altar candles illuminated their faces (I made sure there were 20+). The altar area behind them was lit by sodium giving a strong magenta cast and the body of the church was lit by LED fairy lights giving orange highlights and deep green shadows. What's not to like? It was so dark that I was generally shooting at iso 5000 and 6400. I was using a 56mm (85-e) on a Fujifilm X-T1 and an x100s. The former sometimes struggled to lock in the cave-like lighting but the x100s was great and locked every time and was so quiet.

During the dances I had a Nissin i40 on a stand (slaved) and a small flash in hand for frontal lighting. To have got any photos at all seemed like a miracle and I know they printed fine for the book but not ideal for prints but I did the best I know.

All tips, CC etc gratefully received.

You can see in the first shot shadows on the wall how strong the light from the left was compared to the light from the right. They are only sat there for the signing - during 95% of the service they were only lit from the right!

Lauren and Peter - Wedding by Ian_Boys, on Flickr

Feb 14, 2015 at 09:03 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A wedding in the dark

n11, I would change the Hue of the magenta in LR !!

what camera profile are you using Standard Adobe is the worst IMHO for fuji files.

Feb 14, 2015 at 09:21 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A wedding in the dark

I was using Classic Chrome in LR for the XT1 or my own approximation for the x100s. The trouble is with 11 that there was magenta from one direction (rear) and green from the other (front) so if you correct much the front of the tablecloth goes green.

Feb 14, 2015 at 09:48 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A wedding in the dark

Change the magenta hue in the HLS (below the tone curve), that shouldnt turn the tablecloth into green, I think.

Send me the raw file if u want !

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:01 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A wedding in the dark

You can brush in many of the changes in LR as well, like temp, hue, etc. You can also automask or not depending on the sharpness of the change-over point (if that makes sense... ) I use the automask to brush in temp changes for real estate on the windows, for example; outside is cloudy and inside is tungsten.

Paul

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:58 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A wedding in the dark

processing is kinda all over the place
#4 would be bad ass in BW

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:40 PM
chrisfphotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A wedding in the dark

White balance for #9-11 pretty different from the rest of the set. Looks like #9&10 are too cool from the flash and would benefit from some warmth to blend in better with the rest of the set.

#2 is my favorite. It feels very honest and real to me, and that is what matters most in a bride and groom kissing shot, imo.

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:45 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.