FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 86th LACONIA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SLED DOG DERBY day 1

treebeard
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 86th LACONIA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SLED DOG DERBY day 1

Okay, so it was 5 degrees out this morning when I got to the finish line for the end of the 10am race.....that was without the wind chill......D7100 and Sigma 70-200 plus 4 batteries inside a sock inside my jacket inside of the inside of something else. Due to the amount of snow and gusty winds I was not able to get to places one would normally be able to go to shoot. I absolutely hate shooting things coming at me.....I just plain suck so I tried 3 different modes and the one that seemed to work for me was single shot center focal point. The second two images were using the last method mentioned. I went to 3 different spots and at one point actually dug a hole to hide behind a snow bank out of the way of the wind to get a low vantage point and try to stay warm which worked for about 20 minutes or so. The second shot was from that vantage point. The last image was about 2 miles from the finish line as the teams crossed a road between 2 old stone walls. The first image I though I was focusing on the dogs but apparently I was focusing on the driver. I I found the focusing speed of my old Sigma 70-200 to be really slow so it might be time to upgrade that lens as well.

Feb 13, 2015 at 05:59 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 86th LACONIA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SLED DOG DERBY day 1

That's so cool...I was expecting huskies and didn't know other dogs actually did that kind of work....must have been pretty icy on the course as well which couldn't have made it much fun for the competitors either.
Eric

Feb 13, 2015 at 06:06 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 86th LACONIA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SLED DOG DERBY day 1

eyelaser wrote:
That's so cool...I was expecting huskies and didn't know other dogs actually did that kind of work....must have been pretty icy on the course as well which couldn't have made it much fun for the competitors either.
Eric

Not a single husky in the race...I was told by a very attractive female driver that the breed they use (as seen in the pictures) are more suitable as well as more sociable in a large group. They looked very cold but as I was photographing several of them after they race they were all wagging their tails....especially after they were fed.

Feb 13, 2015 at 06:10 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 86th LACONIA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SLED DOG DERBY day 1

The first is very good and the second fabulous as I love the feel of the action in the second.

Morris

Feb 13, 2015 at 06:41 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 86th LACONIA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SLED DOG DERBY day 1

morris wrote:
The first is very good and the second fabulous as I love the feel of the action in the second.

Morris

Thanks Morris....the second shot was when I was really low dug into my little hole!

Feb 13, 2015 at 06:53 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 86th LACONIA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SLED DOG DERBY day 1

Wonderful set !! Love the second shot.

Birdie

Feb 13, 2015 at 07:16 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 86th LACONIA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SLED DOG DERBY day 1

Great looking set...would enjoy taking pictures of something like that...or perhaps I'd enjoy the pictures, not so much the taking of them. People see me with my two and always ask me where's my sled

Feb 13, 2015 at 07:36 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 86th LACONIA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SLED DOG DERBY day 1

birdied wrote:
Wonderful set !! Love the second shot.

Birdie

Thanks Birdie.....it was worth it for sure!

Feb 13, 2015 at 08:11 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 86th LACONIA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SLED DOG DERBY day 1

ScottHM wrote:
Great looking set...would enjoy taking pictures of something like that...or perhaps I'd enjoy the pictures, not so much the taking of them. People see me with my two and always ask me where's my sled

....the only thing that really got cold was the inside of my nose and the tip of my finger which was sticking out of my glove....that created a bit of an issue!

Feb 13, 2015 at 08:13 PM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 86th LACONIA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SLED DOG DERBY day 1

Nice images Tree, very unique and interesting post.

Feb 14, 2015 at 05:16 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 86th LACONIA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SLED DOG DERBY day 1

Neat stuff Scott. I like the actio with 2 standing out ~ Ron

Feb 14, 2015 at 05:16 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.