New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · " 42nd photo ", " Abe's of Maine "

GRM
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · " 42nd photo ", " Abe's of Maine "

Boy, what a bunch of crooks run both, 42photo.com and abesofmaine.com
Everything is in stock and ready to be shipped. Once you tell them you're not interested in their $150 32GB SD card, suddenly whatever you're interested in becomes "backordered" or "out of stock".
I thought these kind of stores disappeared 10 years ago but it looks like they still can find suckers to sell them cheap cameras and outrageously expensive batteries and cards.
One guy from 42street even told me that I should go with their most expensive version of the same camera because the import model comes with menu in Chinese. But Wait! For only $300 extra he can install me the menu in English.
When I called his bluff and showed interest in the Chinese version....."darn, we just ran out of cameras"
Are we down to Adorama, Amazon and B&H?

Feb 13, 2015 at 03:30 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · " 42nd photo ", " Abe's of Maine "

Looks that way to me too KEH I'd add based on the really good experiences I've had with them. CameraQuest, PoPFlash Photo ?? Or here at FM, provided one can negotiate the mine fields of zero feedback, zero post, zero zero NOOB's.

Feb 13, 2015 at 06:30 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · " 42nd photo ", " Abe's of Maine "

Sad, isn't it? Agree with Adorama, B&H, and Amazon. Have also had good luck with Beach Camera or BuyDig (sister stores), although have never used them as frequently as I do the three above.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:29 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · " 42nd photo ", " Abe's of Maine "

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/blog/2014/05/warning-avoid-abes-of-maine-and-other-bait-switch-retailers/

FredMiranda:
Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Feb 17, 2015 at 01:21 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · " 42nd photo ", " Abe's of Maine "

I use B&H and Allen's Camera.
Often banner ads are here on FM showing the D810 at 2029, the 180 f2.8 AF-D at $439. <---beware

Feb 18, 2015 at 08:27 AM
hamims
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · " 42nd photo ", " Abe's of Maine "

Used Buydig at least couple of times. No issues whatsoever. Got the rebates too without problems.
Canonpricewatch tracks few import sellers who are usually genuine.

Feb 20, 2015 at 05:49 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · " 42nd photo ", " Abe's of Maine "

I've only bought a new camera once in the last eleven years. I'm willing to buy used and save money that way. The same can be said for lenses. That said, B&H is so good, so dependable, that I buy everything else related to photography and computing from them. Their prices are competitive and service impeccable.

IF you feel the need to buy an import model camera, with all the limitations that come with such a purchase, you'd be wise as the article Henry links to suggests and buy from an E-Bay merchant so you can at least avail yourself of the protection found through Paypal and your credit card.

Good luck sorting this out for yourself.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:28 AM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · " 42nd photo ", " Abe's of Maine "

... Abe's has the Nikon Df listed $850 below B&H ...

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=NKDFS&id=NKDFS&l=PLA&gclid=CNiPn8209sMCFYE7gQodDhgA0Q

That's a better deal than I can get through my Nigerian connection ...

Jefferson ...

Feb 22, 2015 at 03:46 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · " 42nd photo ", " Abe's of Maine "

Goes to show you how "reliable" resellerratings.com is

Feb 22, 2015 at 05:32 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · " 42nd photo ", " Abe's of Maine "

Didn't Helen O, or maybe it was HarryP, oops, Henry P, have a post up some while back about how it was that a Retailer had to purchase a subscription (or some such) in order to be able to counter negative feedback from these guys at Resellerratings? And of course for me there has always been the question of how they vetted the ratings-givers. Bottom line for me, the old say IISTGTBT,TIPI, and I don't give it a second glance.

Feb 22, 2015 at 06:15 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · " 42nd photo ", " Abe's of Maine "

You have to pay resellerratings to be a participant in their "merchant member" program. We used to belong but prices slyrocketed and we opted to opt out. When we did so every review posted to their site which came to be due to our soliciting the review while we were a merchant member was deleted.

https://www.internetretailer.com/2013/01/09/small-web-retailers-fume-resellerratings-price-hikes
"Within two days of cancelling with ResellerRatings, half of the roughly 80 reviews MainPerformancePC.com had accumulated since signing up—most of which were positive—disappeared..."

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Mar 02, 2015 at 05:18 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · " 42nd photo ", " Abe's of Maine "

So, Henry, how do folks tell Resellerratings to stuff their idiocy in a place where the "sun don't shine?"

Mar 02, 2015 at 05:40 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · " 42nd photo ", " Abe's of Maine "

Recently, an online contractor rating site in Toronto was put in the spotlight when one of their highly rated contractors went belly up. In trying to defend itself, it exposed how the sausage got made. It wasn't pretty.

Mar 02, 2015 at 06:48 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · " 42nd photo ", " Abe's of Maine "

anthonysemone wrote:
So, Henry, how do folks tell Resellerratings to stuff their idiocy in a place where the "sun don't shine?"

Vote with your feet. Go somewhere else. I suggest Trustpilot.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Mar 03, 2015 at 11:18 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.