New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Heliopan polarizer ring rotation

Abuttolph
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Heliopan polarizer ring rotation

I recently purchased a used Heliopan CPL which is in fine condition. However, the polarizer ring is not particularly smooth when it is rotated. I did a brief internet search and it seems that other people have experienced this same issue with Heliopan CPL filters. Interestingly, there are also people who report that the ring turns smoothly. So, it appears to be a mixed bag with the Heliopan filters. The filter is certainly usable, I have just never had another CPL with this issue.

I can live with the filter like this, but would prefer if the ring turned smoothly. Is there something that can be done to smooth it out? Obviously, I don't want to damage it.

Feb 13, 2015 at 01:31 PM
Taoguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Heliopan polarizer ring rotation

Had mine for for 5-6 years, no problem with mine, maybe quality issue with later units?

Gerard

Feb 13, 2015 at 03:08 PM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Heliopan polarizer ring rotation

Taoguy wrote:
Had mine for for 5-6 years, no problem with mine, maybe quality issue with later units?

Gerard

Could be. It is interesting that some of them seem to have have this issue but others don't.

Feb 13, 2015 at 05:07 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Heliopan polarizer ring rotation

I'd write to their customer service address. Worst case is they say 'sorry' but I know they have replaced them for some.

Feb 13, 2015 at 07:07 PM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Heliopan polarizer ring rotation

That is a good idea, Howard. I will give it a shot...cannot hurt to ask. Thanks.

Feb 13, 2015 at 07:24 PM
ReyGay
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Heliopan polarizer ring rotation

If it's not smooth to turn, then the filter is worn out. The new ones are quite smooth. The only Heliopan CPL that's worth purchasing are the Linear types. Even so, the glass are still thick and will cause some form of distortion. Otherwise I'd suggest you get the Nikon CPLII's, they are thin and are of great build - also they have high quality multi-coatings. They aren't cheap tho.

My Flickr Gallery
My interesting photos on Flickriver
my Deviantart gallery

Feb 13, 2015 at 09:26 PM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Heliopan polarizer ring rotation

Thanks, ReyGay. The filter is actually in quite nice condition other than the ring not being smooth. It does not show evidence of a lot of use. Interesting about the distortion. I will have to play around with this filter and see if I notice anything like that.

All of my other CPL filters are B&W and Zeiss. I am happy with them. If the Heliopan ends up not working out, then I'll give the Nikon CPL that you mentioned a try. Thanks for the feedback.

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:34 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Heliopan polarizer ring rotation

+1 on the Nikon CPLII. Very nice and thin.

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:45 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.