New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · D7100 troubles

rwingsfan
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D7100 troubles

Bought a used D7100 from a forum member. Used it a few times and all seemed well. Today I used it with a "d" lens with a aperture ring. It gives off a fee code no matter having it set at the highest aperture setting. If I change f5 to use the ring it still does not work right or show the correct aperture but does let you focus. It seems to work fine with "g" lenses that have no ring. I know I'll try cleaning contracts but this seems beyond that. Ideas?

Feb 12, 2015 at 04:58 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D7100 troubles

Did you lock the aperture ring at the smallest aperture via the switch on the lens?

Feb 12, 2015 at 05:03 PM
rwingsfan
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D7100 troubles

Yes as explained in my original post. Set to the smallest aperture and locked in. Or as I put it the"highest" aperture setting. I have tried cleaning the contacts but to no avail.

Feb 12, 2015 at 05:15 PM
beji
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D7100 troubles

Just to rule out lens as the problem, do you have access to another body to try it that?
Try unlocking lens aperture, turn it from largest to smallest few times, put it on f/22 or whatever is the smallest aperture available and lock it and try again.
I have a d7100 never had any issues.
What lens are you trying, if I may ask.

Feb 12, 2015 at 08:07 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D7100 troubles

Do you have the camera configured to use the aperture dial on the body instead of the aperture ring on the lens?

Feb 12, 2015 at 08:20 PM
mp356
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D7100 troubles

Definitely try other lenses and body combinations if you have access to them. Are the other electronics on the body working OK? Try removing and re-installing the battery.
Good luck

Feb 12, 2015 at 08:21 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D7100 troubles

Check that the aperture lever on the lens and camera are not bent ,move freely.and spring back in place.

Feb 12, 2015 at 08:35 PM
rwingsfan
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D7100 troubles

Thanks all. Yes I have tried other combinations. It is definitely a issue with the camera. I have tried changing F5 in the custom setup to use the aperture ring only and it works sort of but will only show F22 and F16 no matter what position the ring is in. All lenses work fine on my D600. I started out using my Tamron 150-600 and it seemed to work fine, albeit the focus was not great and metering seemed off. Then today tried a 50mm D and saw the problem. I tested all my lenses, all that have aperture rings acted the same, the two lenses I have that are "g" lenses or equivalent (the tamron and a Nikon "g' lens) both seem to work, but I question the metering also. So at the end of the day the camera sort of works with aperture ringless lenses but not lenses that have a ring. I know, weird.

Feb 12, 2015 at 09:51 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D7100 troubles

rwingsfan wrote:
Thanks all. Yes I have tried other combinations. It is definitely a issue with the camera. I have tried changing F5 in the custom setup to use the aperture ring only and it works sort of but will only show F22 and F16 no matter what position the ring is in. All lenses work fine on my D600. I started out using my Tamron 150-600 and it seemed to work fine, albeit the focus was not great and metering seemed off. Then today tried a 50mm D and saw the problem. I tested all my lenses, all that have aperture
...Show more

Did you verify that custom setting f5 -> Aperture Setting is set to "Sub-command dial" instead of "Aperture Ring"?

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:30 PM
rwingsfan
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D7100 troubles

Yes and I also tried using it as aperture ring and was wonky there too. When set to sub command dial it get the fee, when set to aperture ring you can change by turning the ring, but it only displays f22, f16 no matter what position the ring is in. It will then allow you to focus and trip the shutter.

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:01 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D7100 troubles

If that's the case then the aperture follower on the body may need servicing.

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:15 AM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D7100 troubles

Sounds like the Aperture lever in the camera could be bent. If it's bent then every thing will be out of wack.

Feb 14, 2015 at 12:27 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.