Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Anyone Using Samyang 16mm f2 on a crop for astro?

David Baldwin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone Using Samyang 16mm f2 on a crop for astro?

I am wondering if anyone is using the Samyang 16mm f2 on a Canon crop DSLR for astronomy or low light landscapes? If so I am particularly interested in learning how good stellar images render in the far corners at f2.

My reason for asking is that although I am pleased generally with the performance of my 24L f1.4 Mk 2 on my 5D2, I am interested in seeking a more affordable body upgrade path than that offered by Canon's full frame offerings. In other words when my 5D2 dies might I be able to replace it with a Rebel series camera with the Sammy and see good night landscapes?

Feb 11, 2015 at 03:45 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone Using Samyang 16mm f2 on a crop for astro?

If you're willing to look at other body types, definitely consider the 12mm f/2 from Samyang. I believe available on: Canon EF-m, Fuji, Samsung NX, Sony E (crop) mounts.

It's small, stellar sharp, low distortion, easy vignetting (to fix, or ignore), low coma (sharp stars in corners), and a perfect ~18-19mmm equivalent depending on the mount/crop.

I'm using it on a Fuji, and it very much out-resolves the sensor-- to the point that I have to be careful how I process the images (a whole different discussion) given Fuji's lack of AA and unique CFA.

I totally recommend this lens if you end up with a camera whose mount accepts it!

Here's a review that convinced me: http://www.lonelyspeck.com/rokinon-12mm-f2-0-ncs-cs-review/ My copy appears to perform better than the copy reviewed above.

Feb 11, 2015 at 04:27 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone Using Samyang 16mm f2 on a crop for astro?

Thank you very much for the review link, looks very encouraging. I believe that there is a Canon EF-S version of this lens for mounting on a Rebel, but I will check this!

Feb 11, 2015 at 08:39 AM
matanuska
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone Using Samyang 16mm f2 on a crop for astro?

No, the 12/2 is a compact (mirrorless) design only.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:00 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone Using Samyang 16mm f2 on a crop for astro?

Now I am very confused:

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/08/23/review-samyang-16mm-f2-canon-ef/#.VNuOxS683Y8

The tester there appears to be using the lens on a Rebel.

Also:

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/lenses/wide-angle/rokinon-16mm-f2-for-canon-ef-s

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:20 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone Using Samyang 16mm f2 on a crop for astro?

The prior post was about the 12mm, not the 16mm. I also have the samyang 12mm (for Sony e). It's great.

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:34 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.