1       2      
       end

Archive 2015 · Pentax 645D or Canon 5DSR

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Pentax 645D or Canon 5DSR

johnctharp wrote:
It was in one of those marketing sweeps that they hyped, but disappointed with because there was no product release.

Canon seems to be a bit coy with regard to fine details. During the DpReview interview, Canon's Chuck Westfall said noise levels will essentially be similar to the 7DMKII in the 5ds as it's using the same pixel size and processor (and presumably same sensor tech). If that is at the pixel level (as interjected and assumed by the interviewer at DpReview) then that would almost certainly mean the CFA is not denser (which I believe it would need to be for better color). Conversely, if the interpretation is that the 5ds image gives the same noise once downsampled to the same output size as the 7DMKII, then that leaves room for a denser CFA. Again, Canon appears to be intentionally vague about the finer points.

Feb 18, 2015 at 03:38 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Pentax 645D or Canon 5DSR

Yup, it's 'wait and see' season on the latest Canon releases, from the high-end 50MP sensor to the new 24MP crop sensor they're using for the Rebels and the M.

I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice if they've made some improvements .

Feb 18, 2015 at 06:42 PM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Pentax 645D or Canon 5DSR

I'm revising this thread from the dead. The 5dsr samples are out and the noise control is impressive. I have in the meantime jumped in with both feet to the 645z bath, picking up the 55,90, 35, and 300mm primes. I definitely feel there is a huge difference in look between my a7r, which I attribute to the DOF and shadow detail.
That said, the 6400 iso samples I've seen from the Canon are astounding. If someone is also thinking of the comparison, do realize that the meter on the pentax is pretty rough at least for this long time sony user. I doesn't magically compensate for backlite as the evf cameras do.
Anyway I thought this would be a nice thread to revive.

Jun 16, 2015 at 08:12 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Pentax 645D or Canon 5DSR

I'm expecting the sensor in the P645Z to destroy the 5Ds sensor in every way, shape, and form.

That said, the difference in real-world output is likely to be small for a great number of applications, and Pentax's lens selection is downright laughable next to Canon's...

Jun 16, 2015 at 09:05 AM
Jim Servies
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Pentax 645D or Canon 5DSR

Thanks for reviving this SoulNibbler!

I was set on purchasing the 5Ds/R but canceled my pre-order at the last minute last week when I started researching the 645z. In hindsight, that is fast becoming an expensive mistake. No doubt the 5Ds will be a great camera for many but there's something about the natural look of the 645z files and, of course, the detail that I really like for my landscape work. I would like to try it for some portrait work too and curious to how the 150mm performs. Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on their portrait lens choice with the 645. My fallback is my Canon gear for portrait and chasing the kiddos.

I agree there are a few shortcomings with the 645z but that's with all cameras - lenses being one of the biggest. I'm spoiled with wonderful Canon and Zeiss glass. However, there's a few sleepers out there for the Pentax that are affordable - it's just finding good samples. The 645z files seem extremely nice with plenty of latitude in post. At least that's what I've been reading from several reviews. Colors are something I'll be curious about as well.

Any further thoughts from those that own the 645z is greatly appreciated. Also, if you or others are posting images in the Medium Format thread PLEASE continue to do so. I truly enjoy seeing 645D and Z photographs in that thread.

Thanks.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:55 AM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Pentax 645D or Canon 5DSR

I don't know what you define as portrait, but I have been quite happy with the first 200 frames that I've gotten out of the 300mm f4. It's well corrected and I'm not seeing any strong CA.
On the short end, the 90mm is also quite nice, although I am still not confident using it wide open.

The 120mm and the 150mm are going to have to wait until the new year. I've heard that the 150-300mm is not bad. It is certainly cheap.

For me the latitude was a selling point and it impresses me to no end. Still, my real world experience with 6400iso left me underwhelmed. I find that 3200 iso is basically fault free. I am also enjoying using the camera with c1 even unsupported.

Like many, what put me over the edge was the cropped medium format, which the Canon will struggle to match.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:34 AM
Jim Servies
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Pentax 645D or Canon 5DSR

Thanks Soul! I just noticed the thread title is 645D not Z but hopefully both would be fine to discuss here.

I shoot a lot of portraits with my Canon 70-200 and 135. I like both for the separation, etc. I would like to find something comparable in the Pentax line. The 90 is out of the budget for awhile but looks to be a fantastic lense. I will probably purchase the 150mm first and play around with it. I hadn't thought about the 150-300 and will definitely research it too. Thanks!

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:54 AM
Alexluu627
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Pentax 645D or Canon 5DSR

I have the pentax 645d and find it an amazing camera. Of course I can't use it for everything so I have a Nikon d810 and probably will replace that with the a7r ii. Note the d810 is sharper then the pentax 645d, but the pictures out of the Pentax have an extremely different look you can't get from the Nikon. I like the pentax 645d over the Nikon at base ISO, but pretty unusable after 400 ISO lol. If you're shooting in a controlled enviroment and don't mind not having the ability to tether then I would go with the Pentax. But if you need to tether and have a great raw processor then the 5ds/r or any 35mm with capture one over the Pentax. Also note the files that come out of the Pentax 645d and 645z are extremely flat I don't know if it's just camera raw or Lightroom, but they need heavy processing, but when you do it looks fantastic.

Honestly I would test both since the canon is out and about now. Also the lenses that you want for the Pentax are extremely cheap. I find these the best I have used.

Pentax fa 35mm
Pentax FA 75mm
Pentax fa 120mm macro
Pentax fa 150mm

All these lenses are no more then 500 dollars on eBay except for the 35mm. Good condition is 700 bucks.

In my honest opinion though having all these used and owned most camera equipment. I feel that 35mm is amazing and usually more then enough for everything. the canon and Pentax is the same price, but the canon has so much more to offer. You should be looking to the future not to the past for equipment even if it was good 5 years ago. New sensors and getting better everyday. The a7r sensor is almost as sharp as the iq180 and that back was 40k 3 years ago lol.

Jun 17, 2015 at 08:32 PM
tsjanik

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Pentax 645D or Canon 5DSR

Another vote for the 150-300mm zoom for the Pentax. I compared it to the 150mm A and FA, the 200mm A and FA and the 67 300mm M*; other than being slower, it held its own. I find that at low ISO and not extreme DR, the files of the 645D are equal those from the Z. Color rendition is slightly different, but neither is better in my view. If it's of interest, I posted a comparison of the Z, D and Sigma DP2 M on Flicker. All shot with mixed lighting, AWB and no processing. The Z is closest to the true color of the daylily. Link is first in the series of crops and full images.

IMGP0788 cropcopy copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Jun 19, 2015 at 09:21 PM
Jim Servies
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Pentax 645D or Canon 5DSR

Thanks Alex and tsjanik! Great info of real world usage that's extremely beneficial for those of us contemplating the 645's.

Jun 19, 2015 at 09:25 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.