Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Super compact tripod for my sony camera (rx100 MKIII) with good extension

charlieboy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Super compact tripod for my sony camera (rx100 MKIII) with good extension

For the times I do not want to lug around tons of gear I'm really enjoying my new Sony RX100 MKIII and was wanting a very compact (when folded) tripod to carry with me. Any suggestions? Thank you in advamce.

Charlie

Feb 10, 2015 at 09:46 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Super compact tripod for my sony camera (rx100 MKIII) with good extension

how compact? With my similarly sized GM1 I leave a Joby micro tripod attached: http://joby.com/gorillapod/micro250

a more robust one that can also support my D750 with 1.8 primes is the Ultrapod II: http://www.amazon.com/Pedco-UltraPod-Lightweight-Camera-Tripod/dp/B000ANCPNM

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:32 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Super compact tripod for my sony camera (rx100 MKIII) with good extension

How tall do you want it to be?

Feb 11, 2015 at 02:03 AM
charlieboy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Super compact tripod for my sony camera (rx100 MKIII) with good extension

36" or so.

Feb 11, 2015 at 02:17 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Super compact tripod for my sony camera (rx100 MKIII) with good extension

The Sirui T-005x and T-025x can be quite compact. The Rx100s aren't going to overweight them. Compared to some of the other small travel tripods, one can remove the extended center post and I'd think at 36" or so, probably wouldn't require extending all of the leg sections. I think it would probably not allow the legs to fold fully reversed if the head was in place without the post. Also not sure if you could easily adjust height on some of these little ones, except by extending the legs - or not. I don't have one, just offered as a possible choice if willing to accept the limitations of a tiny tripod compared to some somewhat larger, etc.

Feb 12, 2015 at 09:25 PM
paulkris
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Super compact tripod for my sony camera (rx100 MKIII) with good extension

I recently picked up a Sirui T-005K with the CX10 ball head. I got the aluminum model as it was only a few ounces heavier than the carbon fiber model and about $75 less expensive.
I'll use it with the Fuji Xt1 cameras and the Sony RX1. The ball head may be just a little light for the weight of the Fujis. I also did not like the extremely small arca style quick release mechanism. I took the QR plate that came with the ball head and added a separate arca style plate and it seems much more secure. I agree with the comment above concerning the center post. It's fast and easy to remove if it seems unstable. You lose about 18 inches of elevation but you're still within your 36 inch range.

Feb 13, 2015 at 01:08 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Super compact tripod for my sony camera (rx100 MKIII) with good extension

Gitzo makes some nice small CF tripods - they will work for a DSLR also

the major issue is NOT whether a camera will overweight a tripod, it is whether the tripod will permit "long" exposures without vibration - I put long in "" b/c it is relative to the reproduction ratio (length of the lens)

the RX100 is never going to be very demanding however unless you are using a long exposure

and I guarantee a small CF Gitzo will outperform an Al Sirui

I also guarantee it will cost more than an Al Sirui, but also sell for more in a few decades or years

Feb 13, 2015 at 05:10 PM
ReyGay
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Super compact tripod for my sony camera (rx100 MKIII) with good extension

Sirui T-025x carbon fibre. Works well with heavier cameras like on my D3X and a 300mm f/4 lens on it. . Just not on windy days.

My Flickr Gallery
My interesting photos on Flickriver
my Deviantart gallery

Feb 13, 2015 at 09:32 PM
paulkris
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Super compact tripod for my sony camera (rx100 MKIII) with good extension

You pick the tool for the job. I have both Gitzo and Manfrotto Carbon fiber tripods as well as a few aluminum and steel Tiltall and Bogens. If weight is an issue, or the folded size, I take the Sirius and recognize that I can't use it in the same manner that I can use a heavier tripod with a larger head. The stability of the tripod for long exposures can be increased by using a head with a larger mass. You don't want to overload the legs but replacing the head with a little larger version can help.

And here's a Public Service Announcement: Carbon fiber tripods are a great conductor of electricity. If you're at elevation and get into a thunderstorm it's a good idea not to hug your tripod.

Feb 14, 2015 at 08:20 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Super compact tripod for my sony camera (rx100 MKIII) with good extension

I'm unclear on whether the Al & steel tripods are just "legacy" or if you think they are better than CF in some way, or for some purpose?

BTW - scroll down to pic # 7 on this link and tell me what nikon thinks is a good tripod for their demos:

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/02/14/nikon-at-the-2015-cp-show.aspx/#more-88084

Feb 14, 2015 at 06:11 PM
paulkris
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Super compact tripod for my sony camera (rx100 MKIII) with good extension

Definitely legacy. I was a Bogen dealer for 35 years and also sold Gitzo all the way back to Karl Heitz.
Carbon fiber is fine if it's a well made product. There are some carbon fiber tripods on the market that are poorly made. I read a test report a few years ago that measured the vibration of a carbon fiber tripod vs a steel or aluminum tripod. Carbon fiber did not win the test. It's a lightweight material and very rugged. That's mostly what you are paying a premium price for. Having said all of that, I still use the CF tripods whenever possible.

Feb 14, 2015 at 09:21 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Super compact tripod for my sony camera (rx100 MKIII) with good extension

Alloy tripods work just fine for many users. Probably most. The advantage? A lot less expensive. Just hazarding a guess, but I'd bet the leg tubes are important for weight and vibration control but it's all the other pieces/parts that make or break the tripod - or just break, period.

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:39 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Super compact tripod for my sony camera (rx100 MKIII) with good extension

do you recall where you saw that test report ?? or what tripods were tested, and whether they used a vibrometer?

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:50 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Super compact tripod for my sony camera (rx100 MKIII) with good extension

there is a time and place for almost any material.
1- there has been no definitive "test" developed for a tripod. the variables can be daunting. that's wonderful for those selling them. the ones (so called tests) I have seem for the most part have been fairly half aXXed (with some good intention. regretfully those tended to demonstrate specific highlights of certain products and of course are taken as gospel by some.
2- there really isn't much wrong with alloy models when used under many conditions. like really, is there a real reason for using CF in a studio environ? in fact most that I've been in are alloy all the way. of course when packing for carry here is where composites show their stuff. the are lighter and generally more compact then their alloy equivalents but do require somewhat more care. and even then there is the "we an go too far" factor.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:07 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Super compact tripod for my sony camera (rx100 MKIII) with good extension

the best, if not "definitive," test for a tripod uses either a vibrometer or a laser interferometer

alloy is fine for indoors and I have a couple, tho CF is said to dampen vibrations better (I am not talking about the cheap low end CF); it is definitely less expensive - the former property is why I asked about the test report

I agree re the post on the articulations

Edited on Feb 15, 2015 at 03:15 PM · View previous versions

Feb 15, 2015 at 01:31 PM
paulkris
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Super compact tripod for my sony camera (rx100 MKIII) with good extension

LFI Magazine tested a few tripods back in 2006 and the winner was a wooden tripod. All tripods are going to have some vibration. The key is the duration of the vibration.
we're getting pretty far afield from the OP's question about a compact tripod for a Sony RX100.

Feb 15, 2015 at 01:43 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Super compact tripod for my sony camera (rx100 MKIII) with good extension

oh, that piece of "interesting work". those individuals should have been ashamed of themselves.

Feb 15, 2015 at 03:47 PM
paulkris
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Super compact tripod for my sony camera (rx100 MKIII) with good extension

I just read it. You are correct. It was a pretty silly test. From a purely technical point of view I would most likely agree that the wooden tripod would have a shorter duration of vibration than any of the others. The method that led them to that conclusion was badly flawed in my opinion.

Feb 15, 2015 at 05:19 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Super compact tripod for my sony camera (rx100 MKIII) with good extension

Ming to the rescue! Read his new article & Thom hogan's then decide.

http://blog.mingthein.com/2015/01/11/picking-a-tripod/#more-9771

Feb 16, 2015 at 03:05 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.