Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Anyone Playing with the New Photo Editing Software - Affinity Photo?

MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone Playing with the New Photo Editing Software - Affinity Photo?

Looks like this might be a real competitor to PS: http://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/ Beta is free for testing.

Sorry Mac only

Feb 10, 2015 at 03:57 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone Playing with the New Photo Editing Software - Affinity Photo?

Would love to see this happen... Can't stand having to put up with the hassles of cloud software.

Would hate to think what the consumer's "choices" would be like with only the iPhone or Android to give the other competition.

Feb 10, 2015 at 04:00 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone Playing with the New Photo Editing Software - Affinity Photo?

Would love to see this knock Adobe off their high horse.

Feb 10, 2015 at 04:08 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone Playing with the New Photo Editing Software - Affinity Photo?

amonline wrote:
Would love to see this knock Adobe off their high horse.

10-15 years ago there were other players but Adobe out muscled them all.

Feb 10, 2015 at 04:12 PM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone Playing with the New Photo Editing Software - Affinity Photo?

Prediction: If this software is all it's cracked up to be, Adobe with it's billions of dollars will buy them out.

Feb 10, 2015 at 04:14 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone Playing with the New Photo Editing Software - Affinity Photo?

Of course it will never happen, but a man can still dream. lol

Feb 10, 2015 at 04:19 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone Playing with the New Photo Editing Software - Affinity Photo?

I have been using it and it works fine... just like PS.

Feb 10, 2015 at 04:58 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone Playing with the New Photo Editing Software - Affinity Photo?

hardlyboring wrote:
I have been using it and it works fine... just like PS.

Is there a media or thumbnail viewer ala Bridge?

Feb 10, 2015 at 05:01 PM
RKTodd
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone Playing with the New Photo Editing Software - Affinity Photo?

I downloaded it last evening then found out it doesn't support Olympus .ORF files yet.

Feb 10, 2015 at 05:26 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone Playing with the New Photo Editing Software - Affinity Photo?

Of course in just 20 years or so, Adobe has become market leader and so is worth those billions of $$$

Nothing to stop the tables turning again and a new player becoming the new success story. Perhaps Affinity could be worth millions or billions in 10-20 years time.

I'm pretty locked in to PS, but this is the 1st time I've even considered looking elsewhere. I'll be downloading the demo and having a play for sure.

Feb 10, 2015 at 06:13 PM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone Playing with the New Photo Editing Software - Affinity Photo?

Giving it a whirl now, looks pretty cool.

Feb 10, 2015 at 06:49 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone Playing with the New Photo Editing Software - Affinity Photo?

MRomine wrote:
Is there a media or thumbnail viewer ala Bridge?

no clue.. I dont use PS at all so I was just using basic features for fun.

Feb 10, 2015 at 06:52 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone Playing with the New Photo Editing Software - Affinity Photo?

Have played around the last day or two.... Very promising. Workflow is a bit different and I haven't gotten the hang of masking yet but I'm very optimistic!

Feb 10, 2015 at 07:44 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone Playing with the New Photo Editing Software - Affinity Photo?

Mac only?

Feb 10, 2015 at 07:51 PM
Ryan Britton
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone Playing with the New Photo Editing Software - Affinity Photo?

I've been using Affinity Designer for a while now as an Illustrator replacement and have been fairly happy with it. They're very responsive to support and feedback, and I expect the same will hold true for this.

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:23 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone Playing with the New Photo Editing Software - Affinity Photo?

They need a PC version!

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:05 AM
eephoto
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone Playing with the New Photo Editing Software - Affinity Photo?

Ha! Was almost excited until the end of the post..."sorry Mac only" That was a PC Tease!!!

Feb 18, 2015 at 05:46 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone Playing with the New Photo Editing Software - Affinity Photo?

Playing with it now, so far I can't see much missing over PS. The powerful PS tools like content aware fill, healing tools and liquify are all there. Frequency separation is nice to have as a proper feature too. I imagine it will only get better from here and nice to have a 500mb disk use rather than the gigs of adobe bloat.

One thing that concerned me was when I threw a 800mb PSD at it, it took almost 8 seconds for it to close it without saving. I'll try an even bigger one (1Gb+ is not uncommon for retouched fashion images from my D800E) and see how it copes.

Feb 20, 2015 at 08:19 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone Playing with the New Photo Editing Software - Affinity Photo?

Interestingly they seem quite open to suggestions and input at this stage - remembering it's still a beta product.

It's too early to expect a full blown spec, or PC availability perhaps - but it looks like a solid PS competitor is on the block.

They'll have my pennies, if only to support the fact there is a competitor on the market which we sorely need. It's worth the small investment by the photographic community just for that reason. The only thing to stop competition is for it not to succeed. I hope it does because it will stop the complacency that Adobe has nurtured over the last years.

Feb 21, 2015 at 03:59 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone Playing with the New Photo Editing Software - Affinity Photo?

hardlyboring wrote:
no clue.. I dont use PS at all so I was just using basic features for fun.

Found it, go to View->Media Browser

But once it is open it goes to my iPhoto folder and I can not figure out a way to navigate to other directories or devices from inside the Media Browser window.

It says drag folders here, but the moment you try to add them from the Finder that Media Browser window goes away. Weird navigation.

Anyone else?

Feb 21, 2015 at 04:14 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.