New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · 1D Mark III - 1D Mark IV Sports Shooting Settings, Techniques

Methodical
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 1D Mark III - 1D Mark IV Sports Shooting Settings, Techniques

Was the 1D3 one of the bodies that needed a new mirror box or some other AF fix? It's good that you sent it to Canon for service; it probably needs some adjustments. Here are my suggestion.

1. Maf lens to camera
2. Send to Canon for check
3. Set AF drive to -1 or -2 so AF stick on the player (slows down the AF tracking speed)
4. Enable focus to continue if not in focus (forget exact title)
5. Expanded AF (center with surround points)

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:14 AM
BobMarkey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 1D Mark III - 1D Mark IV Sports Shooting Settings, Techniques

My Mark III was a late model supposedly not affected by the AF issues. But I saw a spot on the sensor that appeared to be the mirror box oil splash issue. Canon serviced and supposedly fixed it for free.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e0248013d2ea

I sent it back to CPS last week and they agreed to check it again for AF issues. It is on its way back to me, for delivery tomorrow. They were very nice about the issue ad even sent me a Mark IV as a loaner.

Feb 11, 2015 at 07:49 PM
BobMarkey
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 1D Mark III - 1D Mark IV Sports Shooting Settings, Techniques

I received the 1D Mark III today with an explanation from Canon that a sub-mirror was misaligned, causing AF issues, and had to be adjusted.

While I am happy that the AF issues were not in my head, I wonder why the mirror issues was not noticed a little more than a month ago when the body was there for the mirror box oil leak repair.

As for the almost new 70-200 2.8L lens I sent in with the Mark III (it was also recently serviced for suspected AF issues), Canon reported that a circuit board was out of position, causing AF issues. "Electrical adjustments were carried out," according to Canon.

The lens is 4 months old.

Oh well. I hope all is well now and I will test out the combo this weekend, with and without the focus points assist in operation.

Edited on Feb 14, 2015 at 11:36 PM · View previous versions

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:48 AM
gvg45
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 1D Mark III - 1D Mark IV Sports Shooting Settings, Techniques

Unfortunate the problem wasn't identified a month ago while the body was in for service. Not the first time Canon needed more than 1 visit to get it right. Good thing is at least the problem was found (*hopefully* ). Post up some images after a good session with it this weekend.

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:10 AM
BobMarkey
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 1D Mark III - 1D Mark IV Sports Shooting Settings, Techniques

I will. It will now be Thursday before I use it again, at a college hoops game.

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:37 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.