New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · What Lens for Canon DSLR Video

DAbernathy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What Lens for Canon DSLR Video

I have upgraded most of my photography equipment lately and am starting to think I should be trying out video with the new cameras.

I now have the Canon 6D and the 7DII bodies. I am in the process of selling most of my older lenses and now have the following:
100-400 F4.5-5.6 L IS MK II
70-200 F2.8 L IS MK II
17-40 F4 L

From what I keep reading the STM lenses are the way to go for video...For those of you using the video capabilities - what lenses are you preferring for general video?

Thanks for sharing

David

Feb 09, 2015 at 08:16 PM
canon pants
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What Lens for Canon DSLR Video

Stm is good if you want to auto focus during recording as it will be silent, if you will manual focus I don't believe there is any advantage.

Feb 09, 2015 at 08:45 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What Lens for Canon DSLR Video

Generally speaking, all the lenses. Video isn't that demanding unless you're after a specific 'look'.

Feb 09, 2015 at 08:59 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What Lens for Canon DSLR Video

johnctharp wrote:
Generally speaking, all the lenses. Video isn't that demanding unless you're after a specific 'look'.

True, plus most video is shot with outboard audio to at least an external mic so focus noise isn't a problem (built-in audio is pretty terrible). I listen to the guide tracks before syncing audio and noticed both my STM lenses--40 2.8 and 24 2.8--make focus noise that is picked up by my 70D's mic. And, oddly, the 15-85 IS USM is silent during focus. My 10-22 USM sounds like a cross between a stuttering soprano and chimp.

Feb 09, 2015 at 10:17 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What Lens for Canon DSLR Video

converted FD 300 f2.8l to EF with Ed Mika adapter. a truely sweet video lens.

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:24 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What Lens for Canon DSLR Video

Gochugogi wrote:
True, plus most video is shot with outboard audio to at least an external mic so focus noise isn't a problem (built-in audio is pretty terrible). I listen to the guide tracks before syncing audio and noticed both my STM lenses--40 2.8 and 24 2.8--make focus noise that is picked up by my 70D's mic. And, oddly, the 15-85 IS USM is silent during focus. My 10-22 USM sounds like a cross between a stuttering soprano and chimp.

Technically, the pancakes have smooth focusing, but aren't supposed to be quiet. The STM zooms are supposed to be better, but generally the newest USM lenses are just as smooth.

Of course, all of that assumes that you'd actually want to AF during video, and generally speaking, production quality standards prevent that in most situations. So if you're not worried about smooth AF and you're using off-board audio recording, literally any lens that covers the frame will do. Canon's 'wax-coated' video feed and antiquated codecs do more to degrade the quality of the video that their DSLRs produce than the IQ issues most lenses would present.

Feb 10, 2015 at 03:31 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.