FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2015 · Mat, framing display for large prints

Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Mat, framing display for large prints

Ben, congratulations on a high 500px score. I looked at all the images you posted and they are clearly the best of the best.

I would not worry much about the scores. To score well on that forum you need to play the social media game and develop fans and followers who will look for your images.

Mar 11, 2015 at 03:48 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Mat, framing display for large prints

Camperjim wrote:
Ben, congratulations on a high 500px score. I looked at all the images you posted and they are clearly the best of the best.

I would not worry much about the scores. To score well on that forum you need to play the social media game and develop fans and followers who will look for your images.

Thanks Jim for taking a look. I post a bit punchier there than I wold here, in fact I don't really know how to post images for here. But that forum meets my needs to show work.

I notice verticals like the one I printed don't do was well on the web, no doubt because nobody turns their screen sideways. But overall, the voting system gives me a sense of how other people respond other than with the standard litiny of overprocesesed, color cast, too centered etc. Or the one we always got at DPreview, the lens is soft send it back and get a Ziess.

I also look at the first few pages just as I do here at Landscape and get ideas for places and processing.

Mar 11, 2015 at 04:42 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Mat, framing display for large prints

Camperjim wrote:

I agree and disagree. I definitely wouldn't worry about the scores, as they have a definite aesthetic that seems to do well over there, and some photos that are really stellar and thought provoking don't score highly because they aren't as pretty.

That said, I don't think you need tons of followers to score highly. I've hit the top spot overall once (with a 99.8), and hit the front page another time. I don't have very many followers. A lot depends on who sees the good images at the right time to get that initial burst, which is crucial to a high score. However, some of my favorite photos have only managed something like an 83, while others that I thought were good, but not my best have topped 95. It's definitely a bit of a crapshoot, but a fantastic image from someone without a lot of followers can rise to the top.

The 'famous' shooters do have the majority of their photos hit at least 95, though.

Mar 12, 2015 at 09:36 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Mat, framing display for large prints

Jman13 wrote:
I agree and disagree. I definitely wouldn't worry about the scores, as they have a definite aesthetic that seems to do well over there, and some photos that are really stellar and thought provoking don't score highly because they aren't as pretty.

That said, I don't think you need tons of followers to score highly. I've hit the top spot overall once (with a 99.8), and hit the front page another time. I don't have very many followers. A lot depends on who sees the good images at the right time to get that initial burst, which is crucial to
...Show more

I have just started and have 12 images up. I understand the nature of momentum, getting your shot posted early on a weekday so it has the entire day for exposure and not competing at the last minute.

For me, I just want to see the relative rankings of my images and do each image in a similar way so that they get similar opportunity. Then I have to account for impact and presentation. A vertical never does well because it must display smaller. Less color hurts as well or less action.

Formal critique anywhere has become hackneyed and full of cliches. I just want an honest up or down vote.

Mar 13, 2015 at 09:08 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Mat, framing display for large prints

ben egbert wrote:
Formal critique anywhere has become hackneyed and full of cliches. I just want an honest up or down vote.

Maybe, but what scores well on 500px is highly saturated poster art.

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:17 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Mat, framing display for large prints

Camperjim wrote:
Maybe, but what scores well on 500px is highly saturated poster art.

Probably where I am headed. I always gravitate back to the bright colorful look. I get talked into toning it down over and over again and just go back. I can thank of several reasons.

1. Too many Technicolor movies.
2. Using Kodachrome too long.
3. Dim vision requires brighter images.
4. A lifetime love of sunrises and to a lessor degree sunsets.
5. First half of my adult life working with monochrome drawings or monitors built a distaste for monochrome.
6. 20 years of experience with camera critique, either club or web forum suggesting changing my images in ways that look terrible to my eyes.

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:56 AM
jek-wy
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Mat, framing display for large prints

Hello Ben,

I read your thread a couple of days ago, and while looking into mat options for myself I came upon this link for large mats up to 60" x 104":
http://www.crescentpro.com/pdf/ragMatSpec.pdf

Your final print looks beautiful on screen - just thought I'd post the link to large mats for future consideration. Apparently Crescent has distributers in Midvale and Salt Lake, although I bet it still cost a bundle to order something this size.

Best Wishes,
Jim

Mar 15, 2015 at 04:08 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Mat, framing display for large prints

jek-wy wrote:
Hello Ben,

I read your thread a couple of days ago, and while looking into mat options for myself I came upon this link for large mats up to 60" x 104":
http://www.crescentpro.com/pdf/ragMatSpec.pdf

Your final print looks beautiful on screen - just thought I'd post the link to large mats for future consideration. Apparently Crescent has distributers in Midvale and Salt Lake, although I bet it still cost a bundle to order something this size.

Best Wishes,
Jim

Thanks got it bookmarked, As it turns out, I can work with 32x40 mats. I got side tracked pushing for a larger size while not allowing enough border on the print.

I will look into Midvale and Salt Lake for Crescent. Shipping is the big cost factor, but this looks like rag which is also pricy.

Mar 15, 2015 at 05:23 PM
jek-wy
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Mat, framing display for large prints

Yes, that one is a rag - p. 2 picture is the reason I sent that link. I bet shipping kills it anyway, but they have several oversize options on their link. More basic mat included.
The Midvale distributor is:
ARTISTIC WHOLESALE
7150 SOUTH 300 WEST
MIDVALE, UT 84047
(801) 561-2604

The Salt Lake distributors are found at a link at the bottom of their home page. Some of the mat they have available is very intriguing. More selection than I've seen in my little Wyoming community...

Mar 15, 2015 at 10:40 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Mat, framing display for large prints

tag for ref

Mar 16, 2015 at 12:11 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Mat, framing display for large prints

jek-wy wrote:
Yes, that one is a rag - p. 2 picture is the reason I sent that link. I bet shipping kills it anyway, but they have several oversize options on their link. More basic mat included.
The Midvale distributor is:
ARTISTIC WHOLESALE
7150 SOUTH 300 WEST
MIDVALE, UT 84047
(801) 561-2604

The Salt Lake distributors are found at a link at the bottom of their home page. Some of the mat they have available is very intriguing. More selection than I've seen in my little Wyoming community...

Thanks, I googled them and have them bookmarked. Midvale is a lot easier than Salt Lake, traffic north from Utah Valley is a killer, even Midvale is not easy. But if I can order direct it beats traffic.

For my 16x24, that get loaded into my custom frames, I rotate the pictures before acid effects would matter. For a custom large 24x35, more permanence is warranted. The mat cost is small compared to frame and image cost.

Mar 16, 2015 at 09:28 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.