New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              8       9       end

Archive 2015 · Not good enough anymore.

Tapeman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Not good enough anymore.

It seems to me that photo gear purchased in the last say five years sucks. (Especially Canon's)

Or... people expect gear that absolves photographers of any skills other than pointing the camera.

I can't believe the wining about what newly released products don't do. And many haven't even released yet.

After ten years shooting digital (30 years of film before that), I find the capabilities of my equipment amazing.

Remember when changing ISO meant changing film?
Who new image stabilization would be worth 4 stops?
10-12 frames a second was NASA stuff.

How about a little less negativity lets get back to helpful tips on the forum.

Flame suit on, and I know I don't have to read posts.

Feb 09, 2015 at 12:19 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Not good enough anymore.

The ad at the bottom of my screen is for pain management. Coincidence?

My only gear complaint is that the improvements keep compelling me to buy. My 10D and L zooms outdid what I could do with Kodachrome when I bought in 2003. I am amazed what I can get with my 5D3 in really bad shooting conditions. It seems to have plenty of dynamic range and megapixels. I could probably get used to more but maybe the technology front has passed me by. Maybe, just maybe I won't have to upgrade.

Full disclosure, I just received my 16-35 f4 and the 100-400 II is on order. Then I'll be done. Sure.

Edit: The 100-400 is my fantasy lens. Its the reason I got into Canon back in 2000 although I didn't get the lens until '01. Its taken fantastic photos on every camera body I've had. Now the new version has half the MFD, twice the IS and better IQ throughout the range. Yep, I'm sorely disappointed.

Edited on Feb 09, 2015 at 12:59 PM · View previous versions

Feb 09, 2015 at 12:41 PM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Not good enough anymore.

The cover of the Beatles’ Abbey Road album was shot with a Hasselblad around mid-day in 10 minutes. A total of six images were shot. There was no chimping. There was no auto-focus. There were no 50 megapixels and Photoshop and HDR. And yet, it worked great.

http://www.shootingfilm.net/2013/04/behind-scenes-of-iconic-abbey-road.html

Feb 09, 2015 at 12:47 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Not good enough anymore.

Most are happy with the gear they have. It's the camera companies who are asking us to shell out big money for their latest and greatest. As such the onus is on them to demonstrate that the outlay is justified. It seems reasonable to me for people to debate (and even complain) about whether a company has proven its case to get our money.

Feb 09, 2015 at 12:57 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Not good enough anymore.

I try not to whine about old or new gear, but I sure do appreciate many of the improvements of newer models. What wildlife photographer does not appreciate higher ISO capabilities of more FPS?

I also appreciate spellcheck.

Tapeman wrote:
........... the wining about..........

Feb 09, 2015 at 12:59 PM
Spikey131
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Not good enough anymore.

No, he was talking about wining

Edited on Feb 09, 2015 at 01:22 PM · View previous versions

Feb 09, 2015 at 01:03 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Not good enough anymore.

My next camera body will have spellcheck.

Feb 09, 2015 at 01:07 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Not good enough anymore.

Tapeman wrote:
My next camera body will have spellcheck.

Spellcheck and lower dynamic rage.

Feb 09, 2015 at 01:10 PM
Mike Sowsun
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Not good enough anymore.

I started with film about 40 years ago and I love my 5D3 and L lenses that I have now.

But what really blows me away are the images I can get from my SL1 and STM lenses. It seems like I get about 80-90% of the image quality for about 10% the price of my 5D3 outfit. I find that truly amazing.

Feb 09, 2015 at 01:21 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Not good enough anymore.

snapsy wrote:
Most are happy with the gear they have. It's the camera companies who are asking us to shell out big money for their latest and greatest. As such the onus is on them to demonstrate that the outlay is justified. It seems reasonable to me for people to debate (and even complain) about whether a company has proven its case to get our money.

Every company is asking us to shell out our money for what they have to sell. Its our responsibility to make those purchasing decisions. These forums are a great way to evaluate whats available and to learn to use what we have. Even venting our frustrations is potentially useful but a little goes a long way. Nobody who is interacting on these forums has any control over what Canon or Nikon offer for sale. And nobody who is interacting on these forums has a monopoly on truth.

Feb 09, 2015 at 01:24 PM
Z250SA
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Not good enough anymore.

My next Canon will be even greater than my present!! (5D3, 1DX) WOW!!!! And so intensely much more versatile than my first, the AT-1.

Feb 09, 2015 at 01:25 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Not good enough anymore.

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Every company is asking us to shell out our money for what they have to sell. Its our responsibility to make those purchasing decisions. These forums are a great way to evaluate whats available and to learn to use what we have. Even venting our frustrations is potentially useful but a little goes a long way. Nobody who is interacting on these forums has any control over what Canon or Nikon offer for sale. And nobody who is interacting on these forums has a monopoly on truth.

I agree except we do have control over what Canon and Nikon offer for sale. Our purchases today (or lack thereof) determine what is offered tomorrow.

Feb 09, 2015 at 01:29 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Not good enough anymore.

Tapeman wrote:
After ten years shooting digital (30 years of film before that), I find the capabilities of my equipment amazing.

Remember when changing ISO meant changing film?
Who new image stabilization would be worth 4 stops?
10-12 frames a second was NASA stuff.

I think that's the kicker. Like me you were brought up with that difficult, unreliable and awkward stuff...film.

You forgot to mention we now have instant review with histogram for exposure and RAW files now, plus ONLY 36 exposures on a roll of film!! - 500+ on a memory card is too few for many now. It gives a completely different perspective doesn't it?

Slide film (which 99% of the time I had to use in large format) was so difficult in terms of correct exposure and low dynamic range the idea that modern cameras of any make are somehow dieficient it is quite risible.

The stuff we get to use now is SOOOO much better in every way the minutiae don't ever get in my way

Feb 09, 2015 at 01:38 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Not good enough anymore.

snapsy wrote:

Yes, we vote with our feet and I'm sure the manufacturers are also aware of internet chatter as one source of product development. I try very hard not to have any expectation on any vote's outcome.

There are a lot of EOS M fans who wished it had fared better.

Edited on Feb 09, 2015 at 01:47 PM · View previous versions

Feb 09, 2015 at 01:42 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Not good enough anymore.

Word. I've been shooting professionally for over 30 years. Cameras were fully manual. Focusing--manual. Aperture--manual. 5 fps was cutting edge for pros. The first auto-exposure camera was a miracle. Carried different film speeds in various pockets--200 speed, 400 speed, 800 speed, 1600 speed. Rewinding and reloading different rolls of film as the light died during sporting events and hoping I didn't mix the exposed up with the unexposed film. When shooting slides, carried tungsten and daylight balanced--and a super-fast, grainy daylight slide film was 400 speed.

Young whippersnappers don't know how good they have it. I used to eat cold gravel for breakfast and like it. Walked uphill ten miles to school--both ways! Barefoot. On ice.

Feb 09, 2015 at 01:45 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Not good enough anymore.

snapsy wrote:
I agree except we do have control over what Canon and Nikon offer for sale. Our purchases today (or lack thereof) determine what is offered tomorrow.

The great mass of camera-buying public in the US, Canada, Japan, Europe and the Far East make those decisions.

Where tens of thousands of units are shipped a month (mainly low end dslrs etc)

Canon don't listen to places like this for anything more than a potential technical problem that the heatseekers here have found. This is BIG business. You can tell that from Canon's rather mediocre incremental upgrades, they think that's what most will buy and they are nearly always right.

Feb 09, 2015 at 01:46 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Not good enough anymore.

hotdog12 wrote:
Young whippersnappers don't know how good they have it. I used to eat cold gravel for breakfast and like it. Walked uphill ten miles to school--both ways! Barefoot. On ice.

Luxury

Feb 09, 2015 at 01:48 PM
Jeffrey Behr
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Not good enough anymore.

Imagemaster wrote:
I try not to whine about old or new gear, but I sure do appreciate many of the improvements of newer models. What wildlife photographer does not appreciate higher ISO capabilities of more FPS?

"...higher ISO capabilities OR FPS?'

Feb 09, 2015 at 01:48 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Not good enough anymore.

Jeffrey Behr wrote:
"...higher ISO capabilities OR FPS?'

BOTH!

Feb 09, 2015 at 01:58 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Not good enough anymore.

My first was an AE-1. I still have it with it's 50 MM lens and speed light. I wouldn't mind selling it but I wouldn't get much so I've just kept it. I'm very happy with the newest technology. I personally think both the gear and software for photography are amazing.

Feb 09, 2015 at 02:05 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.