FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2015 · Serif Affinity Photo takes on Adobe Photoshop

dgdg
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Serif Affinity Photo takes on Adobe Photoshop

chez wrote:
Butch...where did I write that I feel perfection has been reached? I just said I have no desires to learn a new system since I spent the last 10 years learning the ins and outs of LR and PS...and it does what I need to produce my prints. Simple as that. If someone is trying to duplicate PS...I have zero interest as I already use PS.

Certainly a trade off between a new product as far as less expense vs. the time it takes to learn it. There is value in a reliable workflow.

Feb 11, 2015 at 09:46 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Serif Affinity Photo takes on Adobe Photoshop

This is of interest for those of us not inclined to buy into the cloud Adobe is offering us and who recognize that our current licensed version of CS will eventually cease working on some new release of Mac OS. It will be no different for those working in a Windows environment. Adobe isn't going to be making changes to OS 6 so that it will work with every new release of this or that operating system. What then? Keep an old computer with an old OS that will work with CS 6? And how long with that last? No improvements for Camera Raw means, I guess, that we don't upgrade cameras any longer. At some point the game is up and we either pay the piper... Adobe, or we switch to some other software and modify our workflow accordingly.

At the moment my workflow is just fine with LR and PS 6 on my 2011 iMac running Maverick, but I'm not foolish enough to believe this will last forever. So I'm curious about what new products will come on the scene that allow me to actually BUY software and to use it so long as I wish and/or as long as my hardware will permit me to use it...

Take a deep breath everyone... change happens.

Feb 11, 2015 at 06:23 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Serif Affinity Photo takes on Adobe Photoshop

EB-1 wrote:
Only for Apple? That's not exactly an alternative.

EBH

butchM wrote:
Patience Grasshopper ... Adobe also had meager beginnings, as they wrote their software for Mac before they offered apps on Windows. Ps wasn't available for the dark side until v3 as I recall.

The developers have indicated once they get Affinity Photo and Affinity Design (their competitor for Illustrator ... which is getting rave reviews by the way) will be offered cross-platform.

I could wait maybe 6-8 months.

EBH

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:26 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Serif Affinity Photo takes on Adobe Photoshop

CGrindahl wrote:
This is of interest for those of us not inclined to buy into the cloud Adobe is offering us and who recognize that our current licensed version of CS will eventually cease working on some new release of Mac OS. It will be no different for those working in a Windows environment. Adobe isn't going to be making changes to OS 6 so that it will work with every new release of this or that operating system. What then? Keep an old computer with an old OS that will work with CS 6? And how long with that last? No
...Show more

Yes exactly. CS6 will only work for so much longer, so it's nice to see non-subscription alternatives emerging. I downloaded the Affinity beta and plan to try it out this weekend.

Feb 12, 2015 at 06:04 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Serif Affinity Photo takes on Adobe Photoshop

CGrindahl wrote:
This is of interest for those of us not inclined to buy into the cloud Adobe...

And for all of us who have bought "into the cloud Adobe" (and who think the Adobe tools work quite well) but understand that competition in this market would be a darned good thing.

Dan

Feb 12, 2015 at 08:12 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Serif Affinity Photo takes on Adobe Photoshop

Arka wrote:
Yes exactly. CS6 will only work for so much longer....

This is especially true if you're on a Mac. On the Win side, I'm running Photoshop 6 (that's pre CS, released Sept. 2000) on Windows 8. Why? Because I can.

Feb 12, 2015 at 08:32 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Serif Affinity Photo takes on Adobe Photoshop

butchM wrote:
Don't pop a vien chez ... there was no attack ... simply questioning your "lack of interest" in the subject at hand.

Yeah Butch, take it easy, it's not like he mentioned his long in the tooth DR or Sony comments.

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:00 PM
Xavier Rival
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Serif Affinity Photo takes on Adobe Photoshop

ggreene wrote:
I would be far more interested in a LR alternative though. PS has become a small part of my workflow. So far the LR alternatives out there have their own set of quirks and don't offer any clear superiority against LR IMO.

I agree totally.
Moreover, if LR goes cloud too, and I need to switch (I will not rent software), recovering the processing done in LR will be very tough if at all possible.

It's a shame Apple let Aperture whither on the vine and eventually dump it. The Photos app they just released to developers looks ok for iPhone users but is certainly no replacement for Aperture. Kind of a strange decision on Apple's part as they have pro solutions for video and sound. Why not for photography?

This is also a major blow to the existing users. When Aperture does not work for them anymore (due to unsupported new cameras or OS versions), how do they migrate ?

Feb 13, 2015 at 03:24 AM
Savas K
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Serif Affinity Photo takes on Adobe Photoshop

If you use Adobe constantly, that's one thing. But if you use Adobe once in a blue moon, then you're getting hosed.

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:31 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Serif Affinity Photo takes on Adobe Photoshop

gdanmitchell wrote:
For all of us who have bought "into the cloud Adobe" (and who think the Adobe tools work quite well) but understand that competition in this market would be a darned good thing.

Dan

Amen when there is competition Adobe will have to clean up their act and fix bugs.

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:48 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Serif Affinity Photo takes on Adobe Photoshop

gdanmitchell wrote:
And for all of us who have bought "into the cloud Adobe" (and who think the Adobe tools work quite well) but understand that competition in this market would be a darned good thing.

Dan

Mr Mouse wrote:
Amen when there is competition Adobe will have to clean up their act and fix bugs.

Exactly!

Everyone ... even staunch, life-long, very satisfied Adobe customers would benefit greatly from a competitor to Photoshop. The better and more successful that competition is, the more effort Adobe has to invest in maintaining their accustomed market share.

Everyone should be cheering on and wishing the best for developers of Acorn 4, Pixelmator and Affinity Photo.

Everyone who can, should also try out the demo apps and betas as they have time and offer feedback ... even if you never plan to purchase the apps because you are content with your current solution. Because the better those competing apps are ... the better your app of choice will be too ... or it will cease to be a solution.

How exciting would the Olympics be if there were only one qualified competitor in each event? How many athletes would push the bar higher to get their name in the record book if all they had to do to receive the gold medal is show up?

Feb 13, 2015 at 02:40 PM
mcoons
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Serif Affinity Photo takes on Adobe Photoshop

Affinity Photo for Mac has officialy launched on the Mac App Store. It's on sale for $40 for two weeks. It looks very interesting and for $40 might be worth checking out since I'm still on CS6. Has anyone tried the final version of Affinity?

Jul 09, 2015 at 12:14 PM
dgillilan
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Serif Affinity Photo takes on Adobe Photoshop

Great news for market competition. I am Windows user but did sign up for Affinity newsletter. Does anyone know if specific lens are profiled within this software? I use CS 6 & LR6 independent & lens profile use is a tool I use & have my own custom lens profiles,
Thanks, Debra

Jul 10, 2015 at 06:15 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Serif Affinity Photo takes on Adobe Photoshop

Thanks for the heads up.
I got a little lost quickly with subsequent posts.

Jul 10, 2015 at 06:43 AM
mjgphotoz
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Serif Affinity Photo takes on Adobe Photoshop

This does seem to be an interesting product. The last iteration just prior to the release was really showing great promise. The biggest negative I see is that there is no direct feedback from the developers or any support and the end user is reliant on a forum of other users in the same boat for feedback on issues or questions. Several, myself included, have asked over the past few months regarding the camera profiles drop down, which is empty. I thought perhaps this would be resolved with the release, but apparently not. No answers from anyone. Color management and raw camera and color profiles are the very heart of image development and there is no information regarding the product's sources or what can be expected in the future. I totally understand that they are a work in progress, but to not provide a viable road map for their future so the intended users will have reason to remain as supporters for the long haul may prove a negative. This lack of information applies to the question of lens profiles also as mentioned above.

Jul 10, 2015 at 07:11 AM
Paul_K
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Serif Affinity Photo takes on Adobe Photoshop

Have been playing with the beta versions over the last months (being a Mac user ), seen it gradually improve, and it seems a very capable substitute for Photoshop.

There is/was a feedback forum for the beta users, and they did send a regular product update (again, to the beta users)

That said, it's basically way over my head, as my last real working experience with Photoshop was with Photoshop 4.0 (somewhere in the mid nineties ) and nowadays basically only use Nikon NX2 for processing my NEF files (recently also downloaded Seashore as I had to do some very local retouching on pixel level in a few JPG's).

So I'm a bit lost with all the Photoshop like tools, like layering, brushes, cloning etc., but from what I can grasp of it, it seems to offer very much of the same utilities CS does.

And of course it's way cheaper, as a beta user very recently received an offer to buy the now official version for under 40$ (lifetime membership) https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/Affinity_Photo/id824183456?mt=12&ign-mpt=uo%3D4 , while the official price will be 20% higher, still not much IMO.

Will buy it, for that kind of money it's nice to have on my computer just in case I ever need that type of software.

Jul 10, 2015 at 07:30 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Serif Affinity Photo takes on Adobe Photoshop

I shelled out Affinity Photo without the trial - though I'd seen some of the betas. Reason, it's only $40 and it is an alternative. I'm voting with my dollars instead of my mouth. The Adobe megalith must be subverted. Overtime every software company (DEC, IBM, MS, now increasingly Apple) has attained absolute dominance in a market area their product, their customer relations, and their innovation has gone to hell.

Yes, I have years of knowledge and skill in Ps paid for with blood and sweat. What I learned once I can learn again MUCH faster as I know what the pieces are and need to do. I lacked this understanding (not being a graphic artist) when I began Photoshop years ago. I am now running Affinity Design instead of Ai, iStudio instead of InDesign, and am actively working with APhoto and Perfect Picture which is also about to launch a major upgrade that will include some photo organization tools. I fervently hope Affinity or ON1 or even DXO by Aperture off of Apple and start integrating it into their offerings.

Yes many will lockstep march on down the broad Adobe way to less and less value for increasing cost. That's fine, your choice. Still I hope in a creative field like this there are enough daring pioneers to push new tools forward with their $$ and support.

Robert
- I'm going down fighting!

Jul 10, 2015 at 07:51 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Serif Affinity Photo takes on Adobe Photoshop

it looks good - and the ability with non destructive editing

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:08 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Serif Affinity Photo takes on Adobe Photoshop

Still only for Apple?

EBH

Jul 13, 2015 at 01:52 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Serif Affinity Photo takes on Adobe Photoshop

EB-1 wrote:
Still only for Apple?

EBH

This was their answer on Facebook, when asked about a Windows version:

"Once we’ve completed the full Mac suite we will look into other platforms, including Windows."

Jul 13, 2015 at 09:00 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.