New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Manfrotto 498RC2 vs. Benro V0 ballhead

996gt2
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Manfrotto 498RC2 vs. Benro V0 ballhead

I'm looking for a decent ballhead in the ~$100 range that has a separate rotation lock. Right now I've got it narrowed down to the 498RC2 or the Benro V0. The V0 is rated to hold 44 lbs, weighs half a pound less than the 498RC2, and looks to be a little smaller than the 498, which means it would probably match up better with my Benro Travel Angel tripod.

http://www.benrousa.com/products/v-series---double-action-ball-heads/

Anyone have experience with these ballheads? Any other ballheads in this price range that I should consider?

Feb 08, 2015 at 01:38 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Manfrotto 498RC2 vs. Benro V0 ballhead

I don't think there is a decent ballhead in the ~$100 range. It is like looking for a decent GT2 in the $5k range...

Even a used decent ballhead will run 2x to 4x that much.

Feb 09, 2015 at 07:57 PM
atwl77
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Manfrotto 498RC2 vs. Benro V0 ballhead

rw11 wrote:
I don't think there is a decent ballhead in the ~$100 range. It is like looking for a decent GT2 in the $5k range...

Even a used decent ballhead will run 2x to 4x that much.

This +1.

Though it also depends on what sort of gear you intend to put on it. And also the need to consider mounting plate type: Manfrotto uses their own RC2 plate whereas Benro uses the more common Arca-Swiss dovetail plates.

Feb 09, 2015 at 08:53 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Manfrotto 498RC2 vs. Benro V0 ballhead

996gt2 wrote:
Any other ballheads in this price range that I should consider?

I read bad things about the Manfrotto ballheads and Benro heads aren't that great either. Decent tripods though.

Take a look at the Sirui K-20X. Seems to be very good value for money, well made and durable.

Feb 10, 2015 at 08:43 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Manfrotto 498RC2 vs. Benro V0 ballhead

Krockwell uses a Mini Magic Ball head, so that might be one to avoid.

BTW, you cannot go by the manf.s wt. holding ratings. Critical issues are vibration transmission, not dropping your camera on the ground during transport, reliability, grip, and feel.

There is a good guide to ball head threads on here somewhere, so I suggest searching that one up. The cheapest one I have heard good things about is an inverted model made, IIRC, by Arca-Swiss - it runs about $250 or $300. You'd also need to be sure you like the way it works.

Sure things include RRS BH-40 or larger, and Markins. I'm fairly happy with an Acratech I got used for $200+ it is an open design so good in dirty environments, and light wt.

If cost is a real killer then a tilt swivel head might be the way to go.

Good Luck.

Feb 10, 2015 at 06:05 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.