New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 5D3 randomly switches to program mode

kezeka
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D3 randomly switches to program mode

Has anyone had a problem with their 5D3 randomly deciding to switch to program mode in the middle of shooting? My dial will be set to my usual M or AV (and I verify that it hasn't shifted) but the scroll wheels modify my shooting parameters as if the camera is in P (program) mode. It has happened to me sporadically in the past and all I had to do was turn off the camera for a minute and then turn it back on.

Tonight it crossed the line though. I was shooting a concert and mid guitar solo I noticed that my aperture changed to f/5.6 and shutter speed to 1/500 (from f/2.8 and 1/160). I just prayed that the camera could expose the shot correctly and finished shooting the guitar solo and then walked to side stage and tried shutting the camera off for a minute and turning it back on. It stayed in P mode. I tried shifting the dial from M to AV to bulb to TV. It stayed in P mode. Finally I pulled the battery out for a minute and put it back in and it finally let me go back to shooting in manual. This has never happened to me while on assignment before so I haven't thought much of it. I am just glad I had my 1D3 with me to switch to while I was dicking around with the settings on the 5D3 to get it back to normal.

I am sending an email to CPS tonight to have it sent in for a clean and check with a specific request to figure out what on earth is going on. I wanted to check and see if anyone else had any experience with this happening and it was something that I accidentally programmed into the camera or if it really is a genuine problem.

Feb 08, 2015 at 02:50 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D3 randomly switches to program mode

That never happened to either of mine.

EBH

Feb 08, 2015 at 02:53 AM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D3 randomly switches to program mode

EB-1 wrote:
That never happened to either of mine.

EBH

Not making me feel better :/

Feb 08, 2015 at 03:04 AM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D3 randomly switches to program mode

Are you using a grip?

Feb 08, 2015 at 03:15 AM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D3 randomly switches to program mode

Emile Gregoire wrote:
Are you using a grip?

Nope. No grips. Using authentic canon batteries. It has happened with a 70-200, 24-70, and 35/1.4 attached at different times. It has happened with SD cards and CF cards of various makes as well.

I have honestly been unsuccessful in pinning down what happens leading to this problem.

Feb 08, 2015 at 03:17 AM
diverhank
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D3 randomly switches to program mode

Are you sure it's not the safety shift in action?

Feb 08, 2015 at 04:42 AM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D3 randomly switches to program mode

Safety shift? I have never heard of it but just looked it up. I was shooting in manual mode, which the safety shift feature cannot be enabled in.

Feb 08, 2015 at 10:30 AM
Charlie K.
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D3 randomly switches to program mode

I may be incorrect but, if you enable auto iso it will not work in M mode. I have never had mine shift to the P mode or any other mode other than whats displayed on the dial.

Feb 08, 2015 at 11:04 AM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D3 randomly switches to program mode

The camera was set in fully manual mode: f/2.8 1/160 ISO25600. No auto ISO. Just checked and safety shift is not even enabled on the camera.

Feb 08, 2015 at 11:10 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D3 randomly switches to program mode

Did you ever get it wet? It sounds like it could be internal corrosion. I've had similar problems with a 5D that started out quite rare and then became gradually more common. I had the 'circuit board' replaced, and it was fine after that.

Feb 08, 2015 at 11:23 AM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D3 randomly switches to program mode

I have not gotten it wet but bought it used from someone here on FM so it is entirely possible that they could have splashed it. It'll be interested what Canon has to say about it once they have it in their hands later this week.

Feb 08, 2015 at 01:16 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D3 randomly switches to program mode

Once in a while my 5D2 used to go whack and if I pulled the clock battery (button cell under the rubber boot) and mains it would be good for many months. It's sort of like a PRAM reset. Might work on a 5D3 if it has a button cell.

Feb 08, 2015 at 01:40 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D3 randomly switches to program mode

Gochugogi wrote:
Once in a while my 5D2 used to go whack and if I pulled the clock battery (button cell under the rubber boot) and mains it would be good for many months. It's sort of like a PRAM reset. Might work on a 5D3 if it has a button cell.

I'll take a look when I pull the tripod plate off the bottom. PRAM problems can have some bizarre presentations.

Feb 08, 2015 at 02:04 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D3 randomly switches to program mode

Camera came back from CPS today with a new top plate at standard out of warranty cost (around $200 with CPS discount). Due to the problem's sporadic nature I may not know if it was actually fixed for a while but I am optimistic.

On a separate note, the top of my camera looks pristine

Feb 16, 2015 at 08:09 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D3 randomly switches to program mode

Nice - hopefully it keeps on trucking.

Feb 16, 2015 at 08:24 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.