Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Those day's that you wish you had the light to freeze the moment.

RubenL
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Those day's that you wish you had the light to freeze the moment.

Att these moments i wish i photographed in a well lid area to really freeze the action :P

© Ruben Lamers 2014

Emauel Vantaa breaks his floorballstick during the league game Per-Ols United against VSK Innebandy

Feb 07, 2015 at 06:28 PM
vilimo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Those day's that you wish you had the light to freeze the moment.

Wow!!! Hope nobody was hit with that broken stick...

Feb 07, 2015 at 08:22 PM
RubenL
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Those day's that you wish you had the light to freeze the moment.

no, the stick hit the wall i think. there was no one hit

Feb 08, 2015 at 09:54 AM
coreybell
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Those day's that you wish you had the light to freeze the moment.

Yes I have had those moments also, we all have, however in this photo the blur of the broken stick helps in my opinion.

Feb 08, 2015 at 10:34 AM
JosephK

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Those day's that you wish you had the light to freeze the moment.

coreybell wrote:
Yes I have had those moments also, we all have, however in this photo the blur of the broken stick helps in my opinion.

This! Here the motion blur actually helps. Great shot!

Feb 08, 2015 at 09:18 PM
Ccugolf
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Those day's that you wish you had the light to freeze the moment.

The only feeling worse than missing the shot is being the guy who's stick just snapped.

Nice shot, I think the blur works ok. it looks like you caught other things frozen, it may be DOF that is causing the blur

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:02 PM
BlueReptile
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Those day's that you wish you had the light to freeze the moment.

Why ISO6400? Files from 1DX are beautiful even at ISO25600 which would have given 1/3200 shutter speed, enough to freeze the action...

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:07 AM
RubenL
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Those day's that you wish you had the light to freeze the moment.

BlueReptile wrote:
Why ISO6400? Files from 1DX are beautiful even at ISO25600 which would have given 1/3200 shutter speed, enough to freeze the action...

That's something about personal taste i guess, still i have to go with you that ISO 6400 is not the limit of this camera, I can accept files with ISO 12800, but then the files need to be cropped perfect in the camera. I think the files look good up to ISO 8000 if you give your self the opportunity to crop in a little in PP. I shot att ISO 25600 before, I only can accept them for black and white pictures, and then they need to be perfectly framed in the camera.

And that's what get me to the next thing here, as you see i shot this picture with a prime lens. the 135mm, in fact is a 135mm a little to short for this sport, a 200mm 2.0 would be perfect i guess, but that's out of my budget range I can go for a 70-200 lens, but i much more like to save that money to maybe in future still go for the 200mm 2.0.

I have a 120-300 2.8 from sigma, I used it before for this sport, and it works well, the focal length is perfect fot this sport in my eyes, but the sharpness and the extra stop i can get out of the 135mm lens, is giving great images when the player is around 5 meter distance, pictures quality you do not get with the sigma. Also the sigma is such a heavy and big lens, so if i can choose, i deafently go for the 135mm, and crop in a little when needed

Feb 17, 2015 at 06:56 AM
RubenL
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Those day's that you wish you had the light to freeze the moment.

Ccugolf wrote:
The only feeling worse than missing the shot is being the guy who's stick just snapped.

Yea, I understand, he lost his stick, (It's was not a highest league game, so i guess they need to take care of the gear them self) and he even got a 2 minutes time penalty for that. So yea, probably not the best feeling.

Feb 17, 2015 at 07:01 AM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Those day's that you wish you had the light to freeze the moment.

How would a 200 be better? If your shot was any tighter, the story would be lost. Or is the image above already substantially cropped in post?

It isn't the stick blur that bothers me: it's the soft face and head. The fact that the blue shoe appears to be the sharpest point in the shot makes it appear as if the athlete's head was leaned forward out of the narrow plane of focus... but that doesn't necessarily explain why the ball appears more in focus than the head.

This focus issue is of keen interest to me, because I often focus track fast and unpredictably moving athletes by keeping the focus point trained on the largest mass of their bodies that moves the least, which is their trunk, chest, hips, or centers of gravity. Their legs, feet, arms, hands, and head can flail about in a flurry of faster movement, while I keep tracking their core. But that doesn't always work at large apertures.

If their head is out of focus, then the shot is significantly weakened. I find it very difficult to track the head.

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:58 AM
RubenL
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Those day's that you wish you had the light to freeze the moment.

Focus Locus wrote:
How would a 200 be better? If your shot was any tighter, the story would be lost. Or is the image above already substantially cropped in post?

It isn't the stick blur that bothers me: it's the soft face and head. The fact that the blue shoe appears to be the sharpest point in the shot makes it appear as if the athlete's head was leaned forward out of the narrow plane of focus... but that doesn't necessarily explain why the ball appears more in focus than the head.

This focus issue is of keen interest to me, because I
...Show more

Hello, thanks for the feedback, I also do not realy track on the head, mostly because i can't sellect focus points that can reach the position of the head, so yea, i also mostly have the focus point att the cheast, depending on what sport i shoot i play a little bit with the micro adjustment, i do not know if it realy helps, but i have the feeling it does.

to me the head looks in the DOF in this picture, if i would have shot it att 200mm 2.0 maybe not, that's off course a disatvantage by getting more reach, the slightly blured feeling i think has more to do with the 1/800 shutter speed i used, here you can see a bigger image of the shot: ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/108284954@N04/16280346260/in/set-72157650277373667 )

And yes, the image abouve was allready croped deeply, here you see the original.

and yes, the immage abouve was cropped, here is the origanal one :

Feb 18, 2015 at 05:20 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.