New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              14       15       end

Archive 2015 · Which Canon 5DR or 5DS

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which Canon 5DR or 5DS

I have already ordered the 11-24 f4, but I have to really think about the need for 50 mpixels when I am limited by a 17 inch wide printer. I am pretty sure if I decide to buy it will be the R model.

Feb 07, 2015 at 10:22 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which Canon 5DR or 5DS

Hi Ben,

I'm inclined towards the 5Ds, but will make the final decision after seeing comparison results. As has been discussed in previous threads, I agree that not having an AA filter (or having it cancelled out) won't be a problem for most scenic applications, but might be for repetitive geometries that you'll find in architechure and cityscapes. I'm comfortable handling 'with AA' files from Canon DSLR, as well as 'not with' files from Fuji X-Trans. I fully expect that the difference I'll see going from my 18 MP 1DX and 20 MP 6D to a 50 MP 1Ds will be far greater and more meaningful than the extra ounce of juice that I could queeze out of the 5DsR. Anyway, there's plenty of time to change my mind, more than once.

Feb 07, 2015 at 10:59 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which Canon 5DR or 5DS

ben egbert wrote:
I have already ordered the 11-24 f4, but I have to really think about the need for 50 mpixels when I am limited by a 17 inch wide printer. I am pretty sure if I decide to buy it will be the R model.

Hey, Ben, the two camera are both 5DS models:

- 5DS is the less expensive one
- 5DS R is the one that doesn't apply anti-aliasing to the image.

jcolwell wrote:
I agree that not having an AA filter (or having it cancelled out) won't be a problem for most scenic applications, but might be for repetitive geometries that you'll find in architechure and cityscapes.

I'm less worried about the architecture issues than I was before I did a little test printing of the Canon sample file that includes a lot of potentially moire-inducing subjects. I wrote about it here: .http://www.gdanmitchell.com/2015/02/06/new-canon-5ds-r-dslr-a-printing-test

(On the other hand, I agree with you that the potential improvement from canceling the anti-aliasing filter may not be all that significant.)

Dan,

who leans strongly toward the "R" model for his work, but isn't positive that the difference will be all that profound.

Feb 07, 2015 at 11:16 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which Canon 5DR or 5DS

My answer is: Won't buy because there is no increase in FPS in crop modes and therefore the camera is too specialized to an area of photography that I don't participate in enough to warrant the expense.

I think for landscapes the 5DsR would be best. Architecture and fashion: 5Ds. If there had been 7 or 8 fps in 1.6 crop mode then I think I would have gone 5Ds.

Feb 07, 2015 at 11:39 AM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which Canon 5DR or 5DS

I'm missing the:

I do not buy it because I do not need so many MP yet.

Feb 07, 2015 at 11:45 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which Canon 5DR or 5DS

E - will not buy because I don't need 50MP.

Feb 07, 2015 at 11:47 AM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which Canon 5DR or 5DS

5DS R, though I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that at F8-F11my usual apertures and my usual subjects landscapes/woodland won't show the possible effects of the AA filter being cancelled out. I'll have a better idea on which S/R model when my local camera shop has a demo model available for a hands on etc

BTW Reason for purchase - with no apparent prospect of a 1DsIV my 1Ds3 has given nearly 7 years of sterling service and there are potentially some features of the 5DS R that, for my limited needs, make for a compelling upgrade (live view, rear display screen resolution, improved CFA/colour).

Feb 07, 2015 at 12:00 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which Canon 5DR or 5DS

gdanmitchell wrote:
Hey, Ben, the two camera are both 5DS models:

- 5DS is the less expensive one
- 5DS R is the one that doesn't apply anti-aliasing to the image.

I'm less worried about the architecture issues than I was before I did a little test printing of the Canon sample file that includes a lot of potentially moire-inducing subjects. I wrote about it here: .http://www.gdanmitchell.com/2015/02/06/new-canon-5ds-r-dslr-a-printing-test

(On the other hand, I agree with you that the potential improvement from canceling the anti-aliasing filter may not be all that significant.)

Dan,

who leans strongly toward the "R" model for his work, but isn't positive that the
...Show more

Right Dan, I usually take a year or so to get all the letters memorized. Thats why I included the AA and no AA in the description to avoid model nomenclature mistakes.

Feb 07, 2015 at 12:16 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which Canon 5DR or 5DS

Yes, this poll is for those who wanted a high mp and high DR camera, not for satisfied folks or low MP folks.

I specifically wanted to see the AA filter versus cancelled AA opinions and secondarily the effect of DR on your potential decision.

Feb 07, 2015 at 12:20 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which Canon 5DR or 5DS

If your primary subject is landscape go for the "S R". Moire artifacts show up in repeating patterns at certain frequencies and there is little chance to encounter it in nature.
However, if you shoot weddings, portrait or architecture, the "S" may be a better choice.

Feb 07, 2015 at 12:28 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which Canon 5DR or 5DS

Fred Miranda wrote:
If your primary subject is landscape go for the "S R". Moire artifacts show up in repeating patterns at certain frequencies and there is little change to encounter it in nature. However, if you shoot weddings, portrait or architecture, the "S" may be a better choice.

Thanks for weighing in Fred. I think you have been shooting the Sony model with the disabled AA filter so your experience is great for us landscape guys.

Feb 07, 2015 at 12:34 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which Canon 5DR or 5DS

I will use mine for location portrait sessions so probably the 5Ds but i'll give the camera a few month after release and listen to feedback.

I was hoping to have it by June but no chance i'll buy a camera that close to it hitting the shelves.

The thread title sounds a little Shakespeare.

Feb 07, 2015 at 12:39 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which Canon 5DR or 5DS

I'm going to wait and see how tests and user experiences go. I'm not afraid to use the AA filter -- never had a problem before on 5D2 or 1Ds3 (and not always a total guarantee against moire). So far, results from the D800e are positive for me, so I'm also not afraid to go AA-less either.

I'm stoked about the high MP, and curious how 3-shot panos will look with shifted TSE lenses, pushing up into the 100+ MP range.

I'll keep playing with the Nikon model until 5Ds prices come down a bit. But I'm anxious to start using the Canon model instead for its crop ability, and using my Canon glass. The 11-24L looks great for the same reason Ben has stated: cropping images take from leveled camera to get proper perspective without TSE -- I already do this with 16-35L II, but the 11-24 would be awesomely extreme coupled to the 50MP sensor!

I have no problem with Canon's current DR, and this new camera may even have a tiny DR improvement when outputting to jpgs from RAW.

I think once cameras come out, most of the naysayers will quiet down. It might not be the perfect camera for everyone, but I'm sure it will be a big step forward. I wish Canon had offered this as an alternate version when the 5D3 was released!

Feb 07, 2015 at 12:43 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which Canon 5DR or 5DS

I am going for the SR. Having shot the D800E and a7R extensively, and never having a problem with my style (whatever it means), I am confident that the SR will be a fine choice for me.

Feb 07, 2015 at 12:49 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which Canon 5DR or 5DS

I am going through the process right now of seeing the advantage of 50mp. IE, I am working up an image for a 24x36 print. I have a source for the print on the paper I use, but need to test it. Also found a frame.

Getting a large print, hanging it on my wall and learning the true cost and how well I like it compared to 16x24 will go a long way in my decision making process.

Unless you have a large resolution final use for an image, 50MP makes little sense.

Feb 07, 2015 at 12:53 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which Canon 5DR or 5DS

ben egbert wrote:
...Unless you have a large resolution final use for an image, 50MP makes little sense.

Agreed.

Feb 07, 2015 at 12:56 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which Canon 5DR or 5DS

ben egbert wrote:
...Unless you have a large resolution final use for an image, 50MP makes little sense.

jcolwell wrote:
Agreed.

I think it should be remembered that a large high DPI screen will increasingly be the output medium. Pretty much everyone can today output to a 30" 4K screen. Some of us can output to a 5K 27" screen. Just imagine that in a few years, 5K screens will be standard, and some of us may want to output to 80", 8K screens.

To me, 50MP is insurance for current and very very near future digital output media. Not just print which is increasingly passe.

Feb 07, 2015 at 01:00 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which Canon 5DR or 5DS

stanj wrote:
I think it should be remembered that a large high DPI screen will increasingly be the output medium. Pretty much everyone can today output to a 30" 4K screen. Some of us can output to a 5K 27" screen. Just imagine that in a few years, 5K screens will be standard, and some of us may want to output to 80", 8K screens.

To me, 50MP is insurance for current and very very near future digital output media. Not just print which is increasingly passe.

Yes, a new monitor will be in the cards and part of the burden of higher res. I will also need a new video card.

Feb 07, 2015 at 01:06 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which Canon 5DR or 5DS

ben egbert wrote:
Unless you have a large resolution final use for an image, 50MP makes little sense.

Plus, I think as the 50MP concept starts circulating, people who didn't "have a need" will find they love the look of the down-sampled smaller sizes, even when not needing to make large prints or electronically transmit the huge files.

Transmitting these large files will be a nuisance at first, with some clients not being adept at dealing with them at the start. Hello, Dropbox Maximus!

Basically, many people are drug into the future, trying their best to hold onto what they are familiar with, only to have the new technology morph into their day-to-day needs.

Just wait until 30MP smart phone images are the norm!

Feb 07, 2015 at 01:07 PM
chas1113

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Which Canon 5DR or 5DS

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but where do you think diffraction will set in on these cameras? That would dictate whether I would want the R version or not. At 50 megapixels would it be f/8? f/5.6? What is the advantage of all that (potential) detail if you are diffraction limited and can't shoot at or below f/5.6 for DOF purposes?

—chas

Feb 07, 2015 at 01:09 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.