New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Help Needed-Mark IV with 100-400 II zoom-Mechanical Problem

jjoejr
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help Needed-Mark IV with 100-400 II zoom-Mechanical Problem

Right to the point. I use the zoom with 1.4 III tele. Lens came unhooked from camera yesterday with tele. I saved lens from hitting pavement because I happened to have finger looped through tripod foot. Isn't first time this has happened. Happened a few times with old 400/5.6 through the years. As this lens was coupled to camera 95% of time. Anyway I can tell if camera ring is loose? Or pin to lock ring on lens is defective? Also I need something to save lens if it does it again. Such as a ring to screw in tripod foot flipped right side up and then tied to neck strap. What are people using to hold lens and camera when in the field besides there ordinary strap and hand? Almost lost this lens. Can't afford another mishap. I suppose all the wear and tear over 5 years has taken its toll on the pin and ring. Also precision camera okay to deal with? Thanx. Looking for answers.

P.S. Going to local camera store as owner has a Mark IV with about 6K actuations and make a comparison at store for play in pin and ring. My tele has little use on it also. But appears to be more loose on camera ring than lens. I dunno. Still researching. One other thing. I wonder when using left hand to turn zoom, back of hand somehow is hitting button on that side of camera and releasing it? That happen to anyone?

Feb 07, 2015 at 09:25 AM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help Needed-Mark IV with 100-400 II zoom-Mechanical Problem

Noone is doing anything to secure lens to camera because you shouldn't need to.

I have a 20 year old 400 5.6L and a new 100-400L II--- I've been shooting EF-mount Canon since they came out in the late 1980's. Now, I shoot a 1D4 just like yours. I swap lenses constantly and this has NEVER happened.... not ONE single time....

You need to send this thing to Canon....... since this has happened with 2 different lenses, there is something very likely wrong with the lens mount latch on the camera.

Send it in to Canon and don't bother with 3rd-party repair shops. Join CPS and you will get a 30% discount on repairs, free shipping, free cleanings, and get to try cameras and lenses on loan. Best $100 you will ever spend. Canon has a quick turnaround... I recently had a sensor replaced on a body (much more complex than a mount latch) and they had it on their way back to me 2 days after they got it and with a Canon warranty.

Feb 07, 2015 at 09:35 AM
Mickey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help Needed-Mark IV with 100-400 II zoom-Mechanical Problem

Just a minor correct. CPS Gold members ($100) get a 20% discount. Platinum ($300) gets the 30%.
I agree with earlier comment. I too have never had this happen. It's either a mechanical that needs to get fixed or its
technique that needs to get fixed.

Edited on Feb 07, 2015 at 09:53 AM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2015 at 09:48 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help Needed-Mark IV with 100-400 II zoom-Mechanical Problem

Has the 1.4x Extender been attached to the lens every time that it's happened? Having "slop" in the camera body mount 'lock pin hole' will allow some rotation of the lens, but it shouldn't result in the lens coming off, unless there's wear at the edges of the hole (which is quite possible). If it's always with the 1.4x III on the lens, then maybe the pin isn't coming all of the way out of the Extender mount, or the end of the pin is a bit 'rounded off'. Either way, a competent repair shop should be able to figure out what's going on.

For lenses up to the 100-400L IS II and 70-200/2.8L IS II, I only use a strap on the camera body to carry it around in the field, and I've never had an unexpected lens departure. Many people use a single-point of attachment strap like the BlackRapid sling strap, which is normally attached by a screw in the camera tripod mount hole. You could attach one of these to the lens foot tripod mount hole. I've never used one of the sling straps, I use Domke Grippers for camera body straps and the UpStrap Large with Kevlar ends for large lens straps.

Feb 07, 2015 at 09:50 AM
jjoejr
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help Needed-Mark IV with 100-400 II zoom-Mechanical Problem

Has happened on new zoom with tele attached only. Previous times with older 400/5.6 without tele as I remember. I can't repeat it by lightly twisting the lens or movement with my hand. More play in tele than lens. When mounting lens I don't hear the lite snap after lens is coupled like I use to when camera was new. When pushing pin into camera mount it virtually is unrestricted. At this point I will compare to two like new Mark Iv's and see if I notice a difference. It still may be possible back of my left thumb is rubbing against the lens release enough to push in button and release lens. I still need a eye bolt to insert into tripod mount hole and then turn right side up to keep from losing lens again. Thanx for info everyone.

Feb 07, 2015 at 10:22 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help Needed-Mark IV with 100-400 II zoom-Mechanical Problem

I had it happen, but don't recall which body or lens. Sounds like you need a new mounting ring on the body. Easy to check if you can compare with another D4.

You have to hear that click when mounting the lens, and keep your stinking big fingers away from that release button unless you are releasing the lens.

You can of course rig up a tethering strap connecting from both tripod socket of body and lens, but that should not be necessary.

Feb 07, 2015 at 10:37 AM
jjoejr
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help Needed-Mark IV with 100-400 II zoom-Mechanical Problem

Fixing to go and compare to newer Mark IV. I tightened up camera ring Philips screws. Tony I notice I don't hear the clicking sound anymore when coupling lens to camera. I also notice the end of pin has started to round off and it is slightly at an angle protruding out the ring housing indicating play. The camera pin has virtually no tension pushing it in and out versus the tele pin which has lots more resistance. Yes I suspect the wear and tear of the 400/5.6 hanging on this body for 5 years with up and down of inflight birding has taken it's toll. Will get it repaired. I intend to get strap for tripod foot. And I don't have big fingers. I'm a little guy but still pack a texas punch!...HA! Rookery opening next month and I gotta move. Thanx everyone for info.

Feb 07, 2015 at 10:59 AM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help Needed-Mark IV with 100-400 II zoom-Mechanical Problem

I have had the locking pin stick on both my 1d3 & 1d4. I even put a small, I mean a small "micro-sized" drop of sewing machine oil on the pin which helped... But the bottom line is, we take this small pin for granted and often don't realized that it has failed to work until in my case the body skips across the photo well after falling off the lens (a 400 2.8 on a monopod in my case).... The fix is easy if your a CPS member, they replace the mount and you're on your way... My advice is, get it fixed.... The 1d4 is a major workhorse for me and the repair cost well worth the piece of mind.

Feb 07, 2015 at 11:11 AM
jjoejr
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help Needed-Mark IV with 100-400 II zoom-Mechanical Problem

UPDATE: Looked at basically two new Mark IV's. Looked at pins on both. Tried my lenses on both. Used magnifying glass to examine pins and plates. As I have around 35K actuations. My lens plate and release button and pin as compared to one of the camera's was a better fit. Store owner and myself could not find anything wrong with my camera. So now it goes back to my technique of holding the lens. Upon which I may inadvertently put my left hand too close to camera and slightly push in release button. In the meantime, I solved the problem of lens crashing to ground. I took a 1/4 inch thumb screw. Drilled hole in top. Attach thumb screw to tripod foot right side up. Then attach a small swivel hook which is attached to my old canon lens strap to new strap I just bought. My wife looked at it and said it won't hit the ground, but if it comes loose again your gonna lose your left testicle. I replied, well it ain't been used in quite some time. And that's when she hit me.

Feb 07, 2015 at 03:10 PM
CalvinBird

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help Needed-Mark IV with 100-400 II zoom-Mechanical Problem

I had the same problem when I first purchased my brand new 1.4X III in 2013, sometimes it got loose, but when I intentionally turned the lens, it was tight. I tried it on 2 different cameras, attached on 2 different lenses, tried different walking style, I only figured out the problem was on the extender, but could not find out why, the pin and the hole looked fine. Finally I sent it in to Canon, after a few days, they inform me that they cannot fix it, and it was under warranty, so they just replaced a new one for me.

My suggestion is, send it to Canon to check it.

Calvin

Feb 07, 2015 at 04:37 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help Needed-Mark IV with 100-400 II zoom-Mechanical Problem

I've never had any lens detach from my 1D IV or any of my cameras for that matter. One thing I have found is that if the lens is attached using a very quick turning motion, the pin may not engage properly. If the lens is turned and mounted a little slower, the pin engages very securely for me YMMV.

Feb 07, 2015 at 04:41 PM
jjoejr
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help Needed-Mark IV with 100-400 II zoom-Mechanical Problem

Thank u Calvin and mogud. I'm going to try one more time as I will not drop the lens anymore with my backup strap. And then send it in. I will keep in mind to turn slowly also. Calvin did they tell you exactly what the problem was by chance?Did they just replace the pin and/or the ring? thanx

Feb 07, 2015 at 04:54 PM
CalvinBird

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Help Needed-Mark IV with 100-400 II zoom-Mechanical Problem

No, Canon just told me that they cannot fix it, so they replaced a new extender for me. Actually, I tried to figured out the problem by myself for about 4 months, but never able to reproduce the problem successfully, it only happened when I did not pay attention on the lens, fortunately I had another strap on the lens (300/2.8), so both the camera and the lens would not drop.

Calvin

Feb 08, 2015 at 12:38 AM
Lutefisker
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Help Needed-Mark IV with 100-400 II zoom-Mechanical Problem

This happened to me a lot when I was shooting a 1DIV--lost a 1.4x when it (attached to a 300 f2.8 hit a concrete floor). I've now been shooting with a 1Dx for a few years and it's never happened since. I don't believe it was technique on my part.

Feb 08, 2015 at 12:49 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Help Needed-Mark IV with 100-400 II zoom-Mechanical Problem

a couple of years ago while carrying my 600mm by the tripod foot my 1D4 rolled down the hill past me.. turned out the pin in the 1.4 hadn't engaged into the 600mm.. since then if for any reason i have the combo apart and go to put that extender back on i give it a little wiggle to make sure it's locked.

Feb 08, 2015 at 04:09 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.