New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2015 · just had an argument with a guy praising the new 5d

kabraxcis
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · just had an argument with a guy praising the new 5d

seems he has $12k solely in canon portrait equipment and is a portrait guy by profession.
i asked why he was drooling over the new MP-heavy camera but hadn't moved on to d800 or a7r or even digital MF.
no answer.
some people... i swear

Feb 06, 2015 at 11:51 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · just had an argument with a guy praising the new 5d

kabraxcis wrote:
seems he has $12k solely in canon portrait equipment and is a portrait guy by profession.
i asked why he was drooling over the new MP-heavy camera but hadn't moved on to d800 or a7r or even digital MF.
no answer.
some people... i swear

He probably sees the advantages of the Canon and they outweigh the limitations.
With a good lens the 5Ds/R will produce amazing details in group shots for example.

EBH

Feb 06, 2015 at 11:56 PM
kabraxcis
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · just had an argument with a guy praising the new 5d

EB-1 wrote:
With a good lens the 5Ds/R will produce amazing details in group shots for example.

EBH

doubt that. he posted his webpage and all i saw was individual portraits. perhaps he does group shoots too, but it still doesn't answer why he hasn't moved on to the d800 or a7r if he really needs to MP count. all his pics looked well controlled

Feb 07, 2015 at 12:02 AM
Chris Anthony
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · just had an argument with a guy praising the new 5d

Uhm...?

Feb 07, 2015 at 12:02 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · just had an argument with a guy praising the new 5d

"all his pics look well controlled"

There's your answer.

Control the lighting and then you don't need extreme post-processing. He has no need for the advantages of A7R and there is no point for him to ditch his gear and buy Nikon. Thus he can retain the advantages of Canon. Plus he is familiar with Canon and has a workflow attuned to it.

Not hard to figure out, really.

Feb 07, 2015 at 12:10 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · just had an argument with a guy praising the new 5d

kabraxcis wrote:
no answer.
some people... i swear

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

kabraxcis wrote:
doubt that. he posted his webpage and all i saw was individual portraits. perhaps he does group shoots too, but it still doesn't answer why he hasn't moved on to the d800 or a7r if he really needs to MP count. all his pics looked well controlled

Why would anyone need to use Sony or Nikon Cameras for portratits
I'm sure he is doing fine or if not, but for relatively static subjects it's not due to the cameras.

EBH

Feb 07, 2015 at 12:15 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · just had an argument with a guy praising the new 5d

kabraxcis wrote:
no answer.
some people... i swear

Your title says you got in an argument and your text says "no answer". So was it a silent argument? Most likely he has no interest in even discussing the matter, he knows what he wants to use and has grown tired of the confrontations of justifying his choices and everyone else telling him they know better what he should be using. He knows what he wants and is happy with his equipment choices.

Why should you, or I or anyone else have an issue with that or get all worked up with their choice of gear.?

Feb 07, 2015 at 12:25 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · just had an argument with a guy praising the new 5d

Is this a Duh thread, or is there a purpose?

Feb 07, 2015 at 12:34 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · just had an argument with a guy praising the new 5d

kabraxcis wrote:
no answer.
some people... i swear

Sigh...

I once had a telephone conversation with a person who wanted to talk to me about photography, or so I thought. The opening line was, "Do you shoot Nikon or Canon?"

Fun.

Feb 07, 2015 at 12:56 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · just had an argument with a guy praising the new 5d

D800, A7R & MF ... they all require a retooling of his glass. What's so hard to understand about "glass rules" ... especially once you're heavily vested in both time, $$$ and intuitive knowledge of their drawing style.

I'm not talking about the Brand X is better than Brand Y @ glass, but when you have spent a long time with your lenses, you really know them intimately as part of your shooting workflow and as part of your processing workflow.

The more you're invested in your glass (you mention $12,000) ... the more it costs you to switch out a lineup for a platform change.

To me, you gave the answer to the question before you even asked the question ... i.e. no additional answer required.

But, to spell it out ... I guess he's a Canon glass guy and was happy to see an advance in a new Canon body.
Consumer's tend to blow with the changing wind. Pro's tend to weather the storm and don't make platform changes lightly. Besides, I bet I could hand him my SLR/C and he'd still rock it just fine with the glass he has.

Feb 07, 2015 at 01:01 AM
kabraxcis
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · just had an argument with a guy praising the new 5d

perhaps i didn't explain his argument well enough, although there was hardly one to explain. he basically stated that the new 5d is the MF killer and that it would allow for X Y Z based on superior MP count. As he then stated he shot with an 5d3 and a 150 macro and needed the croppability to use for closeups of eyelashes or such, I asked him why he didn't use extension tubes or move to a higher MP count system for such uses. an a7r does not require additional glass, just a minor adjustment to workflow for what i can only imagine is not his main work-topic. he could still shoot the 5d3 for normal shoots, and use a higher MP body for eyebrow shoots or whatever else. he had no answer to this except that he had $12k in his canon system, implying the "glass investment" was too strong to move systems.

Yet it is hard to understand his glass rule as he was quoting his strong investment in Canon, yet had no explanation why he did not take in an a7r nor move onto medium format, as would be logical given the investment and his focus. his arguments for the new 5d were solely based on MP count, and given his shooting conditions it doesn't make much sense to stick to 35mm dslrs, much less 5d3s. basically, he maxed out his options on an inherently less valuable system for his objective (35mm) and is now quoting his investment as too big to move onto the next format (MF). it's like he maxed out his (insert small car here) and now can't make the move to the (next sized car here) when he really just values the higher output engine (MP). pretty stupid if you ask me

As for his choices, they are obviously his to make, but a large portion of the population cannot think for themselves and always make a wrong decision. him being happy with his flawed decision does not make said flawed decision correct

Edited on Feb 07, 2015 at 01:50 AM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2015 at 01:41 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · just had an argument with a guy praising the new 5d

No, it would NOT be logical for him to move to an A7R or medium
format, for reasons already explained to you.

Careful who you are accusing of not thinking.

At this point, your line of argument seems to have become trollish.
First you argue with him, but that wasn't enough for you so you
come here to argue it.

Feb 07, 2015 at 01:46 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · just had an argument with a guy praising the new 5d

kabraxcis wrote:
It is hard to understand his glass rules as he was quoting his strong investment in Canon, yet had no explanation why he did not take in an a7r nor move onto medium format, as would be logical given the investment and his focus. his arguments for the new 5d were solely based on MP count, and given his shooting conditions it doesn't make much sense to stick to 35mm dslrs, much less 5d3s

As for his choices, they are obviously his to make, but a large portion of the population cannot think for themselves and always make a wrong decision.
...Show more

His decision makes perfect sense and is not wrong for him. If you don't get that I don't know what to say. Are you a full time pro?

EBH

Feb 07, 2015 at 01:46 AM
kabraxcis
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · just had an argument with a guy praising the new 5d

Monito wrote:
No, it would NOT be logical for him to move to an A7R or medium
format, for reasons already explained to you.

Careful who you are accusing of not thinking.

At this point, your line of argument seems to have become trollish.
First you argue with him, but that wasn't enough for you so you
come here to argue it.

I don't understand, his argument was literally that all he wanted was a higher MP body.

perhaps the a7r would disrupt workflow a bit, but if he truly valued MP that bad and wanted to call the new 5d the MF killer, he should move onto MF given what his work focus is. why not?

as for his argument, he deleted the post after avoiding my questions about his lack of moving to MF after a $10k+ investment.

Feb 07, 2015 at 01:54 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · just had an argument with a guy praising the new 5d

so whats the point here? you didn't like his reasoning that he is sticking with canon? if his "inferior" thinking/equipment is making him money...who are you to tell him that his decision is flawed?

Feb 07, 2015 at 02:02 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · just had an argument with a guy praising the new 5d

Why do people care what camera you use. Brand X or Brand Y will not make you a better photographer and then to dismiss the guy as not knowing about brand Z is a little silly.

More importantly, was his work well lit, good composition, properly exposed and had some style? If so, then case closed...the guy is a competent photographer.

People should really lighten up on gear snobbery.

Feb 07, 2015 at 02:19 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · just had an argument with a guy praising the new 5d

kabraxcis wrote:
perhaps i didn't explain his argument well enough, although there was hardly one to explain. he basically stated that the new 5d is the MF killer and that it would allow for X Y Z based on superior MP count. As he then stated he shot with an 5d3 and a 150 macro and needed the croppability to use for closeups of eyelashes or such, I asked him why he didn't use extension tubes or move to a higher MP count system for such uses. an a7r does not require additional glass, just a minor adjustment to workflow for what
...Show more

Why don't you offer to send your A7r to him, so that he can test it out without having to put out any money and possibly be unhappy.

A bit of advice from someone that's been around a little. If you can't control it, don't worry about it. You will have less stress in your life.

Edited on Feb 07, 2015 at 02:29 AM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2015 at 02:23 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · just had an argument with a guy praising the new 5d

RustyBug wrote:
...Consumer's tend to blow with the changing wind. Pro's tend to weather the storm and don't make platform changes lightly...

This is one of the better statements I've seen so far this year.

Feb 07, 2015 at 02:25 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · just had an argument with a guy praising the new 5d

Has the shutter vibration issue with the A7r ever been addressed? I read that it is useless at low shutter speeds and anything more than a short tele.

EBH

Feb 07, 2015 at 02:28 AM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · just had an argument with a guy praising the new 5d

Everyone knows you can't take portraits with Canon cameras.

Feb 07, 2015 at 02:30 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.