New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · G7x ?

helenica
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · G7x ?

I use my 5D III a lot for travel/landscape photography, but I notice that ever since switching to full frame I have done very little street photography. I realise that I also need something small and light that is easy to carry. After comparing all the current compacts and system camera's on paper, the G7x came up best for the sort of work that I do and the focal lengths that I most often use. Do any of the members here have this camera? How do you find that it compares to SLR's quality wise? According to the review on DPreview it has a pretty slow focus. Is this really a problem?

I appreciate any comments.

cheers,
Helen

Feb 06, 2015 at 05:30 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · G7x ?

Sorry you haven't gotten any responses from this group. I'm familiar with the G1X but not the G7X. However, you might try the DPR Powershot Forum if you haven't already. I've seen some G7X posts there and they should give you some hands-on opinions. Cheers.

Feb 07, 2015 at 04:39 PM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · G7x ?

Thanks for the effort Jeff. I had already taken a look at DPR, but I suspect that FM members are more likely to be experienced and objective.
I am bumping this thread in the hope that someone has aquired this camera in the meantime.

Feb 20, 2015 at 05:30 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · G7x ?

Hi Helen. Your first post peeked my interest in this camera. I'm surprised that it hasn't been discussed on this forum since it has the same sensor as the Sony RX100 III and therefore the same dynamic range. Actually DxO rates its sensor better than the Sony probably because it has Canon electronics driving it.

It sure seems an excellent little camera. The Camera Labs review says it has faster autofucus than the Sony and a better overall lens. Their review does a lot of direct comparisons with the Sony RX100 III and I think the Canon comes out on top except for the EVF.

I've been a long time fan of the G series and this one has all the G features I look for. Live histogram, exposure compensation dial, electronic level displayed on the LCD, and the ability to take a polarizer filter. Lensmate makes the filter adaptor. And Canon even makes an underwater housing for it. I just bought my wife a 330HS and my daughter an S120. I'll keep this one in mind in case I need to replace either of those.

Good luck with your search.

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:56 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · G7x ?

Have you considered point & shoots with full frame or APS-C sized sensors like say the Sony RX1R, FujiFILM X100T, Ricoh GR or Leica X Typ 113? They may be priced higher but image quality equals that of full frame and APS-C DSLRs sans the interchangeable lens thing.

Feb 22, 2015 at 02:24 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.