New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · question about Canon fd, fl lens

rkonrad

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · question about Canon fd, fl lens

I'm enjoying pictures posted a lot.

I"m trying to decide which lens to buy and was told by a member that the Nikkor and Minolta lens do not require a glass adapter to be used with EOS (my rebel) to focus to infinity. I've been looking at the Canon fl 55 or fl 58 1.2 because they're substantially cheaper than the former. I've noticed numerous posting of photos taken with the fl 55. Was a glass adapter involved? Does it degrade the image?

I'm trying to decide if I need to wait to save for the Nikkor or Minolta or perhaps the Canon is adequate. I'm also thinking that most of my shots would not be interested in infinity.

Feb 06, 2015 at 05:27 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · question about Canon fd, fl lens

If the images you have seen looked good there was no adapter with a glass element used. All (well, that is two only) adapters with the glass element I have used/seen degrade the image quality substantially. (None of these have been the original Canon adapter. The original adapters were made for a couple of Canon tele lenses during the time for the switch from FD to EF mount.)

Without the glass element the adapter will work as a tube and your FD/FL lens will act as a mediocre macro lens.

If you intend to stay with the Canon body you are far better saving your money for any of the lenses needing a plain tube adapter only. The lens may be a Minolta, Nikon or Olympus, or Leica R or... Some of the FD/FL lenses are good choices for anyone using a µ4/3 or Sony mirrorless camera.

EDIT: I now see your other thread. Lightshow directed you to more information. The sticky thread at the top at this very forum is also recommended reading. Use it as a FAQ if not for anything else. Regards,

Feb 06, 2015 at 05:53 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · question about Canon fd, fl lens

I would save for a nikkor 50 AI/AIS. Wouldnt bother trying to get the canon to work. I have the FD 50 1.2L and that rear element is right at the mount. To get that to work you'de have to add a spacer and lose infinity.... why bother when the nikkor is right up in IQ?

FL's are not coated very well, I have some and they're flare monsters.

Feb 06, 2015 at 06:01 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · question about Canon fd, fl lens

Most of the shots you've likely seen with FD lenses are on mirrorless cameras where the register distance is a non issue. There are also some FD lenses that can be converted to EF mount without too much trouble, but it's not all of them.

Feb 06, 2015 at 06:12 PM
OpticalFlow
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · question about Canon fd, fl lens

Hi,

you can convert the mount of the Canon FL 55 1.2 so that it can be mounted on Canon EF.
There are ready-made kits (google Ed Mika) but it is also not too difficult to do a DIY-solution with an M42 to EOS adapter. I can point you to a documentation if necessary. It is a great lens.
However, there are two caveats:

On a Canon5D series camera, you can focus to about 10m with this lens. Further than that and the mirror will hit the back element. You can avoid this in live view (where the mirror is out of the way)
This is not a problem on the crop cameras and reportedly also not a problem on the 1D and 1Ds series cameras.

If you plan to use this (or any) f1.2 lens on a rebel series camera you should consider that you won't be able to accurately focus the lens wide open unless you are using live view. Effectively, with the focal screen that's in there your image in the viewfinder appears as if the lens was stopped down to f2.8. Also, the viewfinder of the rebel series is tiny. You won't nail focus with it. Trust me - I had this lens on a EOS 550D and matte screen focusing was a lottery. On a 5D with Eg-S screen I nail focus 80% of the time.

I should add that there is no reported conversion of the FL 58 1.2 to EF mount. I have seen some reports of people who tried and said it is not possible with reasonable effort.

Also note that Minolta-Lens(es) you are referring to above need to have their mount converted as well to be used on the EF-Bajonet without a glass adapter.

Edit to add:

Also note that the Canon FD 55 1.2 is essentially the same lens as the FL 55 1.2 and can also be converted easily.
There is also the Canon FD 55 1.2 ASPHERICAL which looks almost identical to the Canon FD 55 1.2 but is optically a different design, more expensive and also harder to convert to EF mount.

Feb 06, 2015 at 06:27 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.