New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · studio ballet pose

friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · studio ballet pose

A shot I did a while back, not sure if I ever shared it here. We had some dead time during a costume portrait shoot, and so I asked the company's best dancer to come up with a cool pose while I worked some creative back lighting. It took us about six shots for us to get this right, and every time it was a painful fall off her pointe shoes. Loved the results tho.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7448/16458566862_7fda52dd7a_b.jpg

Feb 06, 2015 at 04:51 PM
film_4ever
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · studio ballet pose

Man, that makes me hurt just looking at what she is doing.

Nice lighting.

Feb 06, 2015 at 04:56 PM
tonyfield
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · studio ballet pose

Lovely shot ... that is training and strength !!!

Feb 06, 2015 at 05:01 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · studio ballet pose

Yeah, it's pretty amazing to me that she's able to do that. Thanks!

Feb 06, 2015 at 05:43 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · studio ballet pose

Thanks Ron.,..amazing!

Feb 06, 2015 at 08:14 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · studio ballet pose

I would have either gone total silhouette with the rim or added a drop of fill in front.....my 2 cents

Feb 06, 2015 at 10:34 PM
coreybell
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · studio ballet pose

This is one of those "double take" photo's. Great capture Ron.

Feb 06, 2015 at 10:42 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · studio ballet pose

Thanks, guys!

Michael, totally get your vision there but I got almost exactly what I wanted out of this one. I wanted the light to kiss her right eye but not hit her cheek. That's what took us 6 or maybe even more takes to get. I was by myself, no assistant. What killed me is that I could get the light camera left down low enough, so I ended up laying it on the ground and that's why there's all that light on the floor to the left. Since I was shooting costume portraits, I didn't have any grids with me to control the light.

I was still really happy with it.

Feb 06, 2015 at 11:13 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · studio ballet pose

Well done, Ron.

The rim light let's us "see" her and the light down below shows clearly the part of the pose that is amazing to non-ballet people. Having the main part of her torso dark helps show this. I like the light on her right eye too.

Feb 07, 2015 at 01:09 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · studio ballet pose

Cool shot, Ron. Reminds me of working with Jordan Matter when he came out from New York to SoCal. I suggested a photo of a male dancer in the footprints of Fred Astaire at the famous Chinese theatre in Hollywood. We got Kevin Williamson to do it, with a pose similar to this, although Jordan's final shot didn't include the whole body. But instead of six or so shots, Jordan took about 50 or more, and we got bounced outta there by security. Wasn't the last time for that on that two-day project, all over LA. Good times, though. ("Dancers Among Us", p.12) If you're interested in the story of that visit, here's a link to my blog entry form back in 2012: http://stevewyliephotography.com/blog/2012/10/jordan-matters-dancers-among-us-redux

Feb 07, 2015 at 01:27 AM
GCasey
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · studio ballet pose

WOW!

Ages ago I worked with a ballet company on a special project and learned some of the physical realities of dancing. Dancers have a lot of foot stresses and fractures. Those soft shoes don't provide much support for en pointe dancing; yet they did it anyway. They're great athletes!

Feb 07, 2015 at 06:09 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · studio ballet pose

Thanks, guys!

Steve, yeah Jordan Matter really works the dancers. I think you forgot (maybe not?), but you and I were talking a lot while Jordan was traveling the country doing these shoots. I wasn't able to help him when he came to Chicago, as I was out of town at the time but he and I exchanged a few emails. I definitely read your blog way back when, but I'll go read it again. Fun times!

GCasey, I never really thought of dancers as athletes until I started photographing them and began realizing how brutal dancing is to their bodies. It's amazing what they're able to do.

Feb 07, 2015 at 04:42 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · studio ballet pose

Great shot and great lighting!

-Tree

Feb 07, 2015 at 07:44 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · studio ballet pose

Ron,

I often admire your work, but this one is iconic. Beautifully conceived, lit, captured and God bless her for the effort it no doubt required.

So well done.

Chuck

Feb 07, 2015 at 10:25 PM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · studio ballet pose

Wow! This one is really great.

Greg

Feb 07, 2015 at 10:31 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · studio ballet pose

Thanks, guys, I really appreciate it!

Feb 08, 2015 at 10:42 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · studio ballet pose

Which camera brand did you use for that ...

I think this image absolutely displays the degree to which our MINDS are our most important tool in photography.
Whether it was your idea or hers ... I know it surely wasn't the camera's.

This stratospherically elevates the concept of keeping someone on their toes to a mind numbing level ... epic.

I'll be asking for this one in the future.
TagRB

Feb 08, 2015 at 11:04 AM
sibirdie
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · studio ballet pose

Two things amazing about this picture: 1) the way woman able to sit up on her toes and 2) the way you captured the moment.

Feb 08, 2015 at 10:19 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · studio ballet pose

Thanks, guys!

Kent, lol on the camera brand. And yeah, our creative minds are the most important tools in photography.

Feb 09, 2015 at 09:48 AM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · studio ballet pose

Love this shot even though it makes my toes hurt. I had to double-take that it wasn't a levitation shot.

Feb 09, 2015 at 10:24 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.