Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2015 · which canon lens can actually resolve 50mpx ?

anorphirith
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · which canon lens can actually resolve 50mpx ?

50mpx is good only if the lenses you mount on the camera can actually resolve it all. (or for cropping)

Canon's samples already shows the lenses are hurting to deal with the resolution (at least image 1 & 2)
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos5dsr/

A quick look here shows that most nikon lenses don't even pass the 30mpx barrier on the D800e.
http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Ratings

Which canon lens do you think will get close to actually make the 5Dr useful ?

Feb 06, 2015 at 12:17 PM
super35
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · which canon lens can actually resolve 50mpx ?

The 5DSR will improve the resolution results of every lens, but only a few will be able to get to the 40-50 megapixel range.

I predict these lenses will be the top performers on the 5DSR, in this order.

1. 300mm f/2.8L IS
2. 300mm f/2.8L IS II
3. Zeiss Otus 85mm F1.4
4. Zeiss Apo Sonnar 135 F2
5. Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4

Feb 06, 2015 at 12:37 PM
thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · which canon lens can actually resolve 50mpx ?

Additional resolution always helps is my understanding and you dont need any better resolving power than what you need with 70D, 7DII, T6i etc and marginally better than t2i onwards. Of course FF will exercise the corners of the lens that CF would not.

I think this is a superb camera for people who need additional resolution. With that said , when I compare these images on a pixel by pixel level, they are similar to 7DII but inferior to 5DIII to my eyes. This is purely subjective based on my own images and canon's images on the website for 5DIII. http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos5dmk3/

Great camera for many folks, but it does not offer enough value to replace 5DIII + 7DII combo.

Feb 06, 2015 at 12:39 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · which canon lens can actually resolve 50mpx ?

The 500/4 IS II looks pretty nice.

Feb 06, 2015 at 12:46 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · which canon lens can actually resolve 50mpx ?

Well, according to Mike Burnhill at CPS, Canon Europe, the new Version II lenses were designed for use with the 50 Mpix sensor.

http://www.fotosidan.se/cldoc/video-interview-canon-eos-5ds-and.htm

Feb 06, 2015 at 12:47 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · which canon lens can actually resolve 50mpx ?

Wrei wrote:
the new Version II lenses were designed for use with the 50 Mpix sensor.

Or is it the other way around ... isn't it better to have the sensor outresolve the glass than the glass outresolve the sensor (i.e. moire', etc.).

Feb 06, 2015 at 01:12 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · which canon lens can actually resolve 50mpx ?

Considering that more than one of their sample images are at f/11, those images are already hamstrung by diffraction. Not the best way to show off your new hi res sensor. The other thing to consider is that almost all lenses have considerable resolution falloff toward the edge of the image circle and frame, so even lenses that take advantage of the 4 micron pixel pitch in the center may not show significant improvement at the edges.

Feb 06, 2015 at 01:37 PM
PatrickSweeney
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · which canon lens can actually resolve 50mpx ?

I predict camera magazines going on a binge; testing the resolution of the new Canons with all the lenses that might measure up. And crowning one of them as king of the hill.

I'm more interested in what the lens makers will do in response.

Feb 06, 2015 at 01:39 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · which canon lens can actually resolve 50mpx ?

It depends on how much of the frame you require full resolution in, at what microcontrast you want it, and at what aperture, and for zoom lenses, focal length.

Every kit lens can resolve for 200 MP at 10% MTF in the center at the optimal focal length and aperture. I have tried them with the Pentax Q sensor with 360 MP equivalent pixel density.

Almost no lens can resolve even full 20 MP over 100% of the frame at 50% MTF at maximum aperture.
Between there, we have the whole range. Stopped down to f/5.6 to f/8 you will se increased resolution from 22 to 50 MP over 70% of the frame for many, many common lenses. The evaluation of lens performance will continue as it has, and there is no such thing as an absolute resolution limit for lenses

The sample images prove nothing about lens sharpness.

Feb 06, 2015 at 01:41 PM
takowasa
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · which canon lens can actually resolve 50mpx ?

anorphirith wrote:
50mpx is good only if the lenses you mount on the camera can actually resolve it all. (or for cropping)

Canon's samples already shows the lenses are hurting to deal with the resolution (at least image 1 & 2)
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos5dsr/

A quick look here shows that most nikon lenses don't even pass the 30mpx barrier on the D800e.
http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Ratings

Which canon lens do you think will get close to actually make the 5Dr useful ?

All of them. Take a photo with the 20 MP 6D or 22 MP 5D3 and compare to the same photo with either of the new 50 MP bodies. Some lenses will show a larger improvement than others, but all lenses will fare better on the new sensor.

Feb 06, 2015 at 01:44 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · which canon lens can actually resolve 50mpx ?

The 24-70 f2.8 mk2 looked pretty good to me in the sample images, even corners and edges. I want to see what the 11-24 does, those two will by my primary lenses. I expect the 17tse to do well.

Feb 06, 2015 at 01:50 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · which canon lens can actually resolve 50mpx ?

The 24mm and 17mm TS-E II's work very well with a PhaseOne 80MP back (using a Hartblei Cam or ALPA FPS system) so there's at least two.

Feb 06, 2015 at 02:19 PM
joeisayo
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · which canon lens can actually resolve 50mpx ?

Many will. Most likely 20-30 lenses will easily out resolve the sensor.

Feb 06, 2015 at 02:28 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · which canon lens can actually resolve 50mpx ?

Most should at least give you some improvement.

Feb 06, 2015 at 02:31 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · which canon lens can actually resolve 50mpx ?

Now DPR/DxO et al will have a camera that will be better able to measure Canon's lens' capabilities, rather than be limited by the resolution of the testing sensor We will get new (combined lens and sensor) measurements.

Edited on Feb 06, 2015 at 02:56 PM · View previous versions

Feb 06, 2015 at 02:47 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · which canon lens can actually resolve 50mpx ?

I'm guessing most lenses shopped down will resolve to the very limit of the sensor. At worst, there will be improved sharpness for all lenses, at best, some lenses will out resolve the sensor.

Feb 06, 2015 at 02:49 PM
dunderwood
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · which canon lens can actually resolve 50mpx ?

Canon's sample images always tend to be a bit soft, don't they? I don't think we'll really have a good answer till more of them find their way out into the wild.

Feb 06, 2015 at 02:50 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · which canon lens can actually resolve 50mpx ?

anorphirith wrote:
50mpx is good only if the lenses you mount on the camera can actually resolve it all.

Note exactly true.

It is certainly true that if your goal in using a higher resolution sensor is to make larger prints you'll want to use excellent lenses. (Judging from some of the sample shots that Canon released along with the new announcements, there are a number of lenses that work well with 50MP images.)

In addition, the "boundary" between being able to resolve and not being able to resolve is not a binary — it is an arbitrary (though measurable) point at which the ability to differentiate luminosity between two adjacent lines in a test image falls below an arbitrary standard. On either side of that there are still meaningful things going on in the captured image. So if you had a lens that produced (at some aperture and focal length) X lp/mm resolution, this does not mean that there would be no advantage seen in an image that contained areas in which there were subjects presenting more greater resolution challenges.

There are several other potential advantages, though again they mostly matter to people who make large, high quality prints:

1. The noise "grain" is smaller. In fact, in typical print sizes from a 50MP original, the individual pixels are so small in the print that noise is likely to be on a dimensional scale to small to see. In larger prints, say 24" x 36" and up, what noise is there will still be smaller grained.

2. There is a potential for smoother luminosity and color gradients, even in images that get pushed a bit in post by means of curves and so forth.

I don't mean to imply that a shooter who only shares jpg images online and in email or who prints no larger than 13" x 19" is going to see these things, but I don't think that the feature set of the 5DS is really targeted at that sort of user.

RustyBug wrote:
.. isn't it better to have the sensor outresolve the glass than the glass outresolve the sensor (i.e. moire', etc.).

Yup.

And the concept of "sensor out resolving the glass" (and vice versa) is a much trickier thing that many seem to acknowledge. Is it (or isn't it) important for the sensor to resolve at least the resolution provided by the best lens you use, measured at its best aperture, in the sharpest part of the image?

Peter Figen wrote:
Considering that more than one of their sample images are at f/11, those images are already hamstrung by diffraction. Not the best way to show off your new hi res sensor.

I think "hamstrung" might be overstating it a bit, but no one can argue that diffraction blur has no effect at f/11 on a full frame sensor body. You write that "more than one" of the images are at f/11 — but all one needs to do is look at the images that are not at f/11 to find out more.

Dan

Feb 06, 2015 at 03:52 PM
BokehBeauty
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · which canon lens can actually resolve 50mpx ?

Judging from the Canon sample images, their two normal and wide angle zooms cannot keep up with the resolution. Just look at the lady. The flowers and the mask are far from sharp and this with f11. The rendering of the red "cabbage flowers" to the left is right away ugly. And the flowers at the very left hand side seem to show the lack of DR even in this well controlled studio environment. At least it reminds me of my 5D Mk II.
And the image of Yokohama is little impressive considering the extremely rare weather condition where you can see from the harbor to Mont Fuji without any clouds or fog.

Feb 06, 2015 at 04:10 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · which canon lens can actually resolve 50mpx ?

BokehBeauty wrote:
Judging from the Canon sample images, their two normal and wide angle zooms cannot keep up with the resolution. Just look at the lady. The flowers and the mask are far from sharp and this with f11. The rendering of the red "cabbage flowers" to the left is right away ugly. And the flowers at the very left hand side seem to show the lack of DR even in this well controlled studio environment. At least it reminds me of my 5D Mk II.
And the image of Yokohama is little impressive considering the extremely rare weather condition where you can
...Show more

Those images have terrible JPEG artifacts- about the only thing they tell me is that the camera works, lol.

As for lenses- most (if not all) of Canon's releases in the last few years have been class-beating, particularly when compared to their most direct competitors produced by Nikon and Sony. While DxO may pan Canon's DR, they'll very likely set new records with Canon (and select Zeiss, Sigma, and Samyang) lenses on the 5DS R.

Feb 06, 2015 at 04:27 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.