Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Can't sell Manfrotto on Ebay?

JFox
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can't sell Manfrotto on Ebay?

My ballhead just got pulled for copyright violation. When I asked the Manfrotto email provided I was told it was because I wasn't a authorized reseller? Are you kidding me?

Feb 06, 2015 at 11:51 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can't sell Manfrotto on Ebay?

That's a new one on me.

Feb 06, 2015 at 11:57 AM
JFox
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can't sell Manfrotto on Ebay?

This was the item heading...

"Manfrotto 808RC4 3 way Pan/Tilt Head w/ 232 Quick Release Plate/Adapter"

My description was nothing more than saying it was used as can see by the scuffs and missing one cover off the pivot point and that it still fully functioned.

It was my own personal image, taken with my iPhone sitting on my kitchen table.

Feb 06, 2015 at 12:22 PM
bobsyeruncle

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can't sell Manfrotto on Ebay?

Exact same thing just happened to me. You can contact the eBay vero team and they will assist you in getting the "violation" removed from your account (at least they did for me). They were quite helpful and said they'd forward the issue to their legal team to follow-up with the company. Like you I believe the First Sale Doctrine (should) protect us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine

fwiw, I created this account /just/ to reply to this thread, but I see now (as my Dad has been telling me for years) that there is quite a healthy community here!

Feb 06, 2015 at 03:16 PM
plubbry
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can't sell Manfrotto on Ebay?

Try listing again?

It would appear that there are lots of Manfrotto tripods and heads that have SOLD recently on ebay.

Feb 06, 2015 at 03:21 PM
bobsyeruncle

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Can't sell Manfrotto on Ebay?

From what I can tell from talking to eBay they very much want to make contact with Manfrotto to inform them that these sorts of sales are not violations. For my part they asked me to not re-list for the time being and removed the violation from my eBay account. I suspect if it can't be worked out I'll just purchase tripods from other companies that make similar equipment that aren't using these sorts of practices.

Feb 06, 2015 at 03:26 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Can't sell Manfrotto on Ebay?

That's ridiculous. If this was common practise by all companies no one could post a picture of any gear they wanted to sell.

Feb 06, 2015 at 03:34 PM
JFox
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Can't sell Manfrotto on Ebay?

I contacted ebay as well and they removed the violation from my account as well. She didn't think anything was wrong with it. I forwarded my manfrotto response onto vero as well.

Feb 06, 2015 at 04:04 PM
bobsyeruncle

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Can't sell Manfrotto on Ebay?

Yeah, JFox, It'd be interesting to know how many of these Manfrotto sent out. I bet lots of people just say.. "oh, ok, I guess I can't sell this widget (or whatever)" b/c think they are doing something illegal.

Feb 06, 2015 at 04:39 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Can't sell Manfrotto on Ebay?

Sell it in FM B&S forum..

Feb 06, 2015 at 05:06 PM
paulkris
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Can't sell Manfrotto on Ebay?

I've been listing them as "The Company Formerly Known As Bogen". That seems to work just fine and most US buyers know what it means.

Feb 06, 2015 at 05:10 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Can't sell Manfrotto on Ebay?

File a complaint with e your state Attorney General's Office of Consumer Protection.

and write a letter to Manfrotto telling them you plan to sue them

Feb 06, 2015 at 05:10 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Can't sell Manfrotto on Ebay?

I just told a Bogen pan tilt head on eBay and nobody hassled me. I'd tell 'em to go F themselves.

Feb 06, 2015 at 05:56 PM
bobsyeruncle

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Can't sell Manfrotto on Ebay?

As a follow-up eBay reinstated my listing. Weird. So it looks like what happens is that there is some sort of back-end by which companies can de-list items they find in "violation". In this case, from what I can tell, someone on the de-listing side may have been just a tad overzealous. That is simply one person's opinion.

Feb 06, 2015 at 06:26 PM
JFox
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Can't sell Manfrotto on Ebay?

My listing has been reinstated as well.

Feb 06, 2015 at 08:11 PM
rick2906
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Can't sell Manfrotto on Ebay?

Way to go manfrotto, you can buy there gear but not sell them afterwards!! It helps them to sell more!! hahaha! That is weird!!

Feb 06, 2015 at 08:14 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Can't sell Manfrotto on Ebay?

I was admonished by Arca-Swiss for using their name (Arca-Swiss compatible) in a review of a Sunwayfoto product. Their legal department said it was a copyright violation.

I'm an authorized Takamine guitar dealer and the USA distributor trolls Ebay and Amazon looking for unauthorized dealer sales and MAP violations so I'm afraid the retail industry is getting increasingly Draconian.

Feb 06, 2015 at 09:02 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Can't sell Manfrotto on Ebay?

Gochugogi wrote:
I was admonished by Arca-Swiss for using their name (Arca-Swiss compatible) in a review of a Sunwayfoto product. Their legal department said it was a copyright violation.

I think he general term has now become ' A-S Style Clamp' . although to say something is compatable with an Arca-Swiss plate should not flag up .

as for the OP's issue .

Ebay should be a bit more proactive in their dealings with companies that report so called infringments .

at the moment it seems their response to any report is to pull the listing first and argue the toss later . if an item is genuinely listed as USED then it is 2nd HAND . so no company can claim it is being resold wrongly .

Do Ford or any other Car company ask for a listing to be pulled if you list your car on ebay when you are not part of the dealer network ?

Feb 07, 2015 at 06:08 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Can't sell Manfrotto on Ebay?

I have a universal Manfrotto plate on ebay right now, and so far no problem. That company has just made it a lot easier for me to decide future purchases as I won't be buying anything of theirs.

Kent in SD

Feb 07, 2015 at 07:59 AM
bobsyeruncle

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Can't sell Manfrotto on Ebay?

I have other Manfrotto equipment as well that I shall divest myself of in short order.

Feb 07, 2015 at 12:33 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.