New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Canon M3

pliukait
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon M3

Did this get missed?

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/news/canon_launches_the_eos_m3.do?utm_source=newsletter_february_1_15&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter

Feb 06, 2015 at 11:27 AM
donmega
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon M3

Good catch. Does anyone know if it will be available in North America? If it isn't, I'll have to get my niece to buy one for me before she leaves Japan in August...

Feb 06, 2015 at 11:31 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon M3

Each website that's talked about the M3 has mentioned it would not be released in North America and this may indeed be the case. If you go to the Canon USA website there is no listing for any M version but the new 5D's and T6's are listed with full specs.

For me it's sad if the USA doesn't get access to the M3 as I was hoping to replace my G12 with one, but I'm not interested in sending something to Japan to get things fixed. However there is a bright side, for me it means less distraction, as I look to add FF to my kit, a 6D being my target, now those M3 funds can go to a bigger sensor and some new glass

Edited on Feb 06, 2015 at 12:17 PM · View previous versions

Feb 06, 2015 at 11:51 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon M3

The M3 has an aluminum exterior as opposed to the previous two models sporting magnesium alloy.

That's too bad, as I find aluminum to be pretty soft and quite easily damaged. At least one could say that the lens claddings match the body, now...

Feb 06, 2015 at 12:13 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon M3

Is there any particular reason as to why they wouldn't want to sell to North America?

I would think an item sold in one place would be as good as an item sold in another place?

Feb 06, 2015 at 02:05 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon M3

pliukait wrote:
Did this get missed?

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/news/canon_launches_the_eos_m3.do?utm_source=newsletter_february_1_15&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter

No: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1346251/0?keyword=m3#12842935

Feb 06, 2015 at 02:10 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon M3

sirimiri wrote:
The M3 has an aluminum exterior as opposed to the previous two models sporting magnesium alloy.

That's too bad, as I find aluminum to be pretty soft and quite easily damaged. At least one could say that the lens claddings match the body, now...

One of the selling points of the M and M2 was that magnesium body. I once dropped an M pretty hard and it came out without a scratch and working fine.

Feb 06, 2015 at 02:34 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon M3

Nobody should be allowed to name a new camera an M3.

Feb 06, 2015 at 04:18 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon M3

pliukait wrote:
Did this get missed?

There is a nice 360 degree view of the camera here:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/product/cameras/eos_m3.do

I'm disappointed that the M3 is not going to be sold in N. America. It looks like a nice camera.

Feb 06, 2015 at 04:41 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon M3

pliukait wrote:
Is there any particular reason as to why they wouldn't want to sell to North America?

I would think an item sold in one place would be as good as an item sold in another place?

The price point at which the original EOS-M was released at did not sell in North America. Judging from the European price on the EOS-M3... It again would not sell well here in NA. The only reason the sales picked up on the EOS-M was the fact Canon was giving them away at cost to clear stock.

Feb 06, 2015 at 04:47 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon M3

This is a far better camera, but the competition has improved significantly also. For now, MILC is still a niche market, particularly in the US. I'm ok with canon's decision, though disappointed. I'm sure they did the math on it and decided it wasn't worth it. Anyway, I hope the new sensor is an improvement, and not just a slight resolution bump, which seems likely.

Feb 06, 2015 at 05:19 PM
nads
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon M3

chez wrote:
The price point at which the original EOS-M was released at did not sell in North America. Judging from the European price on the EOS-M3... It again would not sell well here in NA. The only reason the sales picked up on the EOS-M was the fact Canon was giving them away at cost to clear stock.

There was more to it than just clearing stock. The price drop was synchronized with the updated firmware and all of the stock from major outlets shipped with the updated firmware at the same time. There's no way Canon would go to the effort of the inventory lift to get bodies with factory updated firmware to the front of the lines if they're simply trying to clear stock from the channel.

Feb 06, 2015 at 05:44 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon M3

A little irritating that it doesn't look like the M3 will be offered in the States. Then again, without any new lenses going along with the announcement, it may not be that big of a loss (or did I miss additional M-Mount lenses hitting the market).

Feb 06, 2015 at 06:52 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.