FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Film advice for Head Shot

fstopperdown
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Film advice for Head Shot

I have a headshot to do for a client of my wife. A teenage beauty queen.

This is just a one off fun shoot, but something I might like to pursue more of in the future. It fits into a long term portrait project I have been doing.

Mostly, I shoot B+W film.

This needs to be color. Digital is not really an option because I have sold off everything since giving up weddings.

I having a hard time choosing a film....
Kodak Ektar 100
Kodak Portra 160
Kodak Portra 400
Fuji 400H

The plan is to use a delightful bank of north facing windows and a reflector.

I am keeping it simple with my antique Leica M3 and M2.

I am going to do a test run with my wife using the M3 and a 135mm f/4 Elmar and/or my 90mm Elmarit.

I have a few weeks to plan, so any advice appreciated.

Edited on Feb 05, 2015 at 09:48 PM · View previous versions

Feb 05, 2015 at 08:53 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Film advice for Head Shot

There are many excellent film photographers out there (and possibly on here). They are all confident in their abilities, and know what they want to use when.

I'm all for film photography, but if you're asking questions like this for a paying client, I would rent or borrow a digital camera.

If it's not a paying client and you don't mind experimenting a bit, then do it! It'll be fun! But when the pressure is on, you need to be confident in what you're doing.

Feb 05, 2015 at 09:34 PM
fstopperdown
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Film advice for Head Shot

I should have clarified.

It's a fun shoot for free.

Some people just insist...

Feb 05, 2015 at 09:47 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Film advice for Head Shot

What is your lighting setup going to be like?
IMO Portra 160/400 and 400h are all going to look really similar in 35mm.
Ektar 100 is going to have a little more contrast and way more vivid colors.

I think a good balance between the softness of the portras and 400h and the saturation and contrast of ektar is Fuji Superia 400. It can be shot just about any way ( I shoot it way overexposed) and it holds great color and saturation.

Feb 05, 2015 at 09:55 PM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Film advice for Head Shot

hardlyboring wrote:
I think a good balance between the softness of the portras and 400h and the saturation and contrast of ektar is Fuji Superia 400.

I agree with Doug's suggestion, Superia 400 is great.

Feb 05, 2015 at 10:50 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Film advice for Head Shot

Ektar can look really good with skin tones. Ektar is surprisingly good pushed to 400.

If it was me...I'd push the Ektar and shoot some Portra 400 incase you don't like the result so you have a backup.

Feb 05, 2015 at 11:27 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Film advice for Head Shot

fstopperdown wrote:
I should have clarified.

It's a fun shoot for free.

Some people just insist...

Got it. Carry on then!

I prefer Portra 160 - it packs the creaminess of Portra 400 but with just a bit more contrast. I have a block of Ektar 100 I've been meaning to bust out and try for portraits. I feel like it would go well with my style and be fairly unique.

I'm not a fan of the Fuji Supria stuff. It has too much grain and fade for my taste, but I've never been much for the "film look" anyway.

But yeah, for general people stuff, it's hard to beat the Portra options.

Feb 06, 2015 at 12:22 AM
swim_r
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Film advice for Head Shot

Portra 400 is always a great go to (I rate mine at 320 and meter in the shadow). Kodak ultra max is a great non pro option too.

Feb 06, 2015 at 12:57 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Film advice for Head Shot

For a simple headshot, I cant imagine not firing through at least one roll of portra, but 400h has a nice look too. I would not use Ektar unless it has something you are specifically looking for.

I might use el cheapo kodak proimage 100 and fuji 200 for this if it were me (I have waaaaay too much sitting around).

Feb 06, 2015 at 01:53 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Film advice for Head Shot

Doug is a man speaking from far more experience in this area than me, you should listen to him!

My view is that my go to's choices from that list would be 400H and Ektar. I prefer the palette of 400H to Portra, but if you get the lighting right, then Ektar is possibly my favourite colour film of all. 400H is softer and more pastel, Ektar bolder and punchier.

Feb 06, 2015 at 08:23 AM
fstopperdown
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Film advice for Head Shot

When I set aside the wedding and semi professional dream, it opened a lot of doors for me. I now own cool classic Leica system, a 4x5.

Except for a two one-off weddings, last year I only shot landscapes. Starting a portrait project this year, so when this fell into my lap I jumped at the opportunity.

Years ago (circa 2005) a photo shop owner advised me to shoot B+W portraits on film and cater to an upscale market. He said digital will saturate the market place... I laughed. Wasting five years and the many thousands in digital gear... I cried for joy when I quit.

Lately, it's been liberating not having to cater to clients, but his comments have always been a big "what if" to me...

My wife gave me the idea, and the headshots will compliment her spa/facial business and the images will adorn her walls. I would look to do a half dozen or so...

Maybe something to build upon.

I will dig thru my freezer. I know there are a couple of rolls of either Porta 400 or Fuji 400H.

I will shoot a roll of Superia 400 and test the two on my spouse.

For the last year 100% of my film has been landscapes with Fuji Acros 100 or Ilford HP5.

Once I have my at home darkroom finished, I may dabble more along these lines.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I have dabbled with these films on occasion, but the last decade has been all color has been digital.

Hopefully I will be able to show some images in the coming weeks for a critique.

Feb 06, 2015 at 11:24 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Film advice for Head Shot

Framing portraits with 135mm on a RF is a real pain, shooting with a medium format with waist level finder is so much nicer but I guess you are using the tool you like best for this project.

Your light will have more an effect on the result than the film choice especially if you scan it (is there even anywhere to wet print colour film now?) I'd stay well clear from 400 iso film in 35mm, it will be grainy and that will only get worse when scanned. I'd shoot provia or astia and leave neg film alone.

Feb 08, 2015 at 09:13 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Film advice for Head Shot

fstopperdown wrote:

Once I have my at home darkroom finished

You'll be getting an enlarger?

Feb 08, 2015 at 09:48 AM
fstopperdown
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Film advice for Head Shot

D. Diggler wrote:
You'll be getting an enlarger?

I got a Beseler as part of a purchase of an entire darkroom awhile back. $100 got me the whole Shebang. I just need to add a sink.

Going forward, I'm going to stick to shooting with my M2 and M3 primarily with a 90mm Elmarit. I will use the 135mm with a shoe mount SHOOC that gives me 1:1 though it's a bit of a clunky process.

Scanning hopefully wont be too much an issue.

Feb 08, 2015 at 07:41 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Film advice for Head Shot

fstopperdown wrote:
I got a Beseler as part of a purchase of an entire darkroom awhile back. $100 got me the whole Shebang. I just need to add a sink.

Going forward, I'm going to stick to shooting with my M2 and M3 primarily with a 90mm Elmarit. I will use the 135mm with a shoe mount SHOOC that gives me 1:1 though it's a bit of a clunky process.

Scanning hopefully wont be too much an issue.

Pakons were affordable and now the prices have gone up to around 1k... OMG
I paid less than 200$ for both of mine...
I am thinking about selling them and getting a frontier 2500 possibly.

Despite what people say about film going away it is still going semi strong for the time being.

Feb 08, 2015 at 08:50 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Film advice for Head Shot

I've never thought of Ektra as a portrait film, that doesn't mean you can't use if for such. I always found it a bit harsh (the contrast and sharpness) for portraits, especially for women.

Feb 08, 2015 at 08:51 PM
zalmyb
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Film advice for Head Shot

I'd go with p160. If you want a moody light rate it at 320 and push it a stop. p400 and 400h are good as well (400h is VERY good and VERY expensive, but depends on what look you are going for).

Ektar could be good, but it's much more finnicky.

Feb 08, 2015 at 09:09 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.