Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · G1x good for hiking & panos?

JamieW
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · G1x good for hiking & panos?

I'm looking for a high quality compact camera to hike with. I like to make larger prints, usually panos 3-4 feet long combining multiple images. But it's strenuous hiking I.e. significant altitude gain & so regular dslr & lenses are too heavy for me. Considering a canon G1x.

Appreciate thoughts & opinions. Thx.

View previous versions

Feb 05, 2015 at 04:54 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · G1x good for hiking & panos?

I really like my G1X. I've been using mine for hiking and travel for over two years and have gotten great images from it. I also us a 5D3 and the images look good next to each other. The G1X has an optically good lens and a large sensor with the same pixel pitch as the 18 MP APS C sensor. For landscape photography it has a built in level, an exposure histogram preview, and an exposure compensation knob. It also has a nice stitch assist pano mode if you are shooting jpegs. The Canon refurb site had them on sale recently; don't know if that's still going. I'm discussing the version 1 but the mk 2 is equivalent.

That said, there is also the Canon SL1 that has Canon's full 18 MP sensor (3:2 aspect ratio vs the G1X' 4:3), so a few more horizontal pixels. There is a nice 10-16, 24, and 55-250 STM lens set that is very light weight and great for hiking.

Those are the two Canons I have and would recommend for your stated use. There are also some good M4/3s mirror less systems that others will be along shortly to tout. Enjoy your search.

Edited on Feb 05, 2015 at 06:32 PM · View previous versions

Feb 05, 2015 at 06:29 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · G1x good for hiking & panos?

Great camera IQ and very light weight. As you probably know, the first version has slightly higher MP for same size of sensor (14.3 vs. 12.8). I don't see why it wouldn't be great with a nearly APS-C size sensor. 28mm equiv will make high quality portrait position stitches. Very good IS too.

Feb 05, 2015 at 06:31 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · G1x good for hiking & panos?

The version 1 G1X has a 28 mm equivalent FOV lens that always shoots a 4:3 aspect ratio image. The version 2 has a 24 mm FOV at the wide end but uses a 3:2 aspect ratio portion of the sensor. One can choose 4:3 or 3:2 but trims either the vertical or horizontal edges. The two Gs have the same sensor but the v2 lens doesn't use all of it at the same time. The v2 lens is faster and wider so its a trade off.

I will add that I've compared my G1X (v1) against my APS C cameras and even though the G1X has a narrower 4:3 aspect ratio sensor, it has the same horizontal FOV at its wide end as 18 mm (28 mm full frame equivalent) lenses on the APS C sensor. FOV is measured diagonally so, in theory, this would favor the 3:2 sensor for horizontal width. But I'm getting a real 28 mm landscape view.

I know TMI.

Feb 05, 2015 at 06:43 PM
JamieW
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · G1x good for hiking & panos?

thank you for the info!

Feb 06, 2015 at 09:08 PM
chainlink

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · G1x good for hiking & panos?

I love the G1x II. I used it on a trip to Scotland and was very impressed with the capabilities of this camera. It's very portable with a small bag. I use a Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 10 to carry the entire kit including the charger, spare cards and battery and a smaller Lowepro bag to carry just the camera (with lens hood) on my backpack for hiking or skiing. The images are as good as my 7D in most cases but you need to spend some time learning the camera...it can blow highlights if not exposed correctly. The touchscreen and focus peaking are fantastic and the lens is L quality. It's also fun to use with the 250 close-up filter! Overall I think this camera is way underrated.

Feb 06, 2015 at 10:42 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · G1x good for hiking & panos?

I like my G1X a lot, but what about an EOS M and a 11-22mm, or just the kit lens if you can stitch, very cheap now. Better IQ than the G1X.

Feb 07, 2015 at 06:17 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · G1x good for hiking & panos?

Canon has the refurbished v1 G1X for $365 here. I bought a spare when they had them for $300 before Christmas. My underwater housing cost nearly that much and my G1X is the most likely camera to get banged up since its always in my backpack for hikes and etc. Now that I have a spare, nothing will ever happen to it.

Feb 07, 2015 at 04:27 PM
JamieW
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · G1x good for hiking & panos?

Thanks Jeff. Wish I had been looking before Christmas.

dhphoto, I have been thinking about EOS M as well. Interesting idea.

thanks again to all for the input.

Feb 07, 2015 at 05:55 PM
BasilSavage

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · G1x good for hiking & panos?

Have a peek at the Lumix LX100. Amazing lens, great IQ, a very nice EVF and DSLR like manual controls. I'm finding it a great alternative to my 5D3 for family occasions, trips, hikes etc.

Feb 08, 2015 at 12:00 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · G1x good for hiking & panos?

That Lumix does look good, as do a number of other cameras, but it costs double what a nice used (or refurb) G1X does, and it's got less MP too. I know there are trade-offs in every choice, but for a budget tote-along high quality imaging camera, the G1X is about the best there is. But if the price ceiling is raised to around $700, I agree, the Lumix LX100 is a great option.

Feb 08, 2015 at 12:17 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · G1x good for hiking & panos?

I use the G1X a lot for landscape type work.....it produces great images in my opinion; and stitched pics will be even better!!

Worth keeping in mind is the OVF (not great.....but very useful for landscape work where framing and focus aren't always critical); and the swivel screen, which often comes in useful!!

It fits in my jacket pocket...another advantage for me! And with an adapter ring, will take filters and filter systems; another major benefit.

Feb 08, 2015 at 12:48 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · G1x good for hiking & panos?

the EOS-M + 18-55 is a lightweight package at only 460g (weighs less than the g1x, which is 573g)

if you can handle a higher budget and more weight, the A7r + 28-70 OSS is a solid performer and 770g. That's what I use for hiking, but I live in cali, our hikes may not count.

Feb 08, 2015 at 12:57 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · G1x good for hiking & panos?

I picked up an early M for around $200 USD to hike with. If it gets damaged, its throw away.

Feb 09, 2015 at 12:37 PM
JustinR
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · G1x good for hiking & panos?

I'm going to add my standard plug for the Sony DSC-RX100. IQ isn't quite as good as the G1X, but it's not far off and still MUCH better than most compacts. The RX100 series is much smaller than the G1X, truly pocket sized - that's why I went with the RX100.

IQ of the RX100 is very comparable to my old EOS-40D.

Feb 09, 2015 at 01:01 PM
Mongrel
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · G1x good for hiking & panos?

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Canon has the refurbished v1 G1X for $365 here. I bought a spare when they had them for $300 before Christmas. My underwater housing cost nearly that much and my G1X is the most likely camera to get banged up since its always in my backpack for hikes and etc. Now that I have a spare, nothing will ever happen to it.

Now down to $329.99!

Very tempting....

Feb 09, 2015 at 09:04 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · G1x good for hiking & panos?

Mongrel wrote:
Now down to $329.99!

Very tempting....

If that's for a new G1X that's just a steal. I'd buy two.

Feb 10, 2015 at 04:25 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.