New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Apples new Photo App first look

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Apples new Photo App first look

http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/05/apple-photos-app-os-x-yosemite/

doesn't look like any form of Aperture replacement . which for those of you that like and use Aperture can only be a bad thing .

looks better (slightly) than iPhoto , and I guess for a 'free' app that can't be a bad thing .

thing is Apple made such a big deal of the 'new' app when they launched Yosem it seems a bit of a poor offering .

Not that Im that worried as I'm an LR user . although I do use iPhoto for a few things . maybe this app will integrate a lot better with the iPad / iPhone photos app , which could make me use it for those family jpegs

Feb 05, 2015 at 03:43 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Apples new Photo App first look

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/05/apple-photos-app-os-x-yosemite/

doesn't look like any form of Aperture replacement . which for those of you that like and use Aperture can only be a bad thing .

looks better (slightly) than iPhoto , and I guess for a 'free' app that can't be a bad thing .

thing is Apple made such a big deal of the 'new' app when they launched Yosem it seems a bit of a poor offering .

Not that Im that worried as I'm an LR user . although I do use iPhoto for a few things . maybe this app will integrate a lot better with
...Show more

Extremely harsh opinion considering Photos is only a Developer Beta form at this point. At least several months away from official release.

I doubt anyone at Apple really knows (including the engineers working on it) what feature set and capabilities will be ready for the Photos app upon official release.

I remember all too well the naysayers that panned and pounded Final Cut Pro X. Indeed, it was not all everyone had hoped for upon initial release, though, today it is a very formidable NLE.

I like to reserve my assessments until I have actually used an application in it's officially released version.

Feb 05, 2015 at 04:37 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Apples new Photo App first look

After a few hours playing with it, I have to say this is going to kick ass for our family photos. All photos on every device we own. Freaking amazing!!!!

It's still really basic so it's hard to say if it will be good for pro use. Give it time and we shall see. Even if it's not pro ready, at least I got a sweet app for family photos.

Feb 05, 2015 at 08:36 PM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Apples new Photo App first look

And another review: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/02/editing-with-photos-for-os-x-apples-iphoto-and-aperture-replacement/

Feb 06, 2015 at 02:54 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Apples new Photo App first look

I suspect for the iPhone/instagram/family pix/snapshot, etc., photographer this is a nice step up from iPhoto (which admittedly I never used.) From a professional that held on to Aperture for as long as possible it is clearly a major disappointment - at least at this stage of its development. Maybe it will get better?

As much as I detest Adobe on a number of levels (starting with hostage ware, but extending back for several years), I really don't see a way out of Lr and PS6. I've refused to go with the handy-dandy $10 a month DEAL for a number of practical and philosophical reasons. On the positive side I'm using things like DXO 10 more and more and beginning to play with McPhun's stand alone apps (along with the always useful Photomatix for HDR). Pixelmator continues to improve but I haven't really moved to it.

Still, my cataloging is locked up in Lr with all the pluses and minuses associated with that love/hate bit of software. I keep thinking there is an incredible software opportunity here for some truly creative developers, but maybe the old truism that monopolies smother and prevent change are true.

Robert

Feb 06, 2015 at 12:56 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Apples new Photo App first look

LR / PS here and see nothing on any horizons that even interest me to switch. Very happy with this dual as well as the NIK suite of plug-ins.

Feb 06, 2015 at 05:09 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Apples new Photo App first look

Yes, Adobe apps presently are remotely good for constant users of it. Casual users take a similar beating as cable subscribers who seldom watch TV and then only watch a few channels out of hundreds offered.

The new Apple offering I fear will be tied to iCloud, enforcing a similar subscription policy. It's cloud offering has been excoriated and could use some $horing up by design.

Feb 06, 2015 at 06:06 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Apples new Photo App first look

Savas K wrote:
The new Apple offering I fear will be tied to iCloud, enforcing a similar subscription policy. It's cloud offering has been excoriated and could use some $horing up by design.

The iCloud feature of the Mac OS X Photos app is purely optional ... you are not required to utilize it.

Feb 06, 2015 at 10:07 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Apples new Photo App first look

SO I started the upload of 63,876 photos at 2pm today. yes I did it!!!! I have 41,012 left to upload in just 8 hours of uploading. I would say the Apple servers are running pretty well for me. I was out with some friends for dinner and opened photos on my iPhone and was able to access about 20k photos. It was pretty quick too on T-Mo LTE.

So for the home user, this is kick ass and a home run right now. For the pro user, well lets just wait for the official release.

Feb 06, 2015 at 10:20 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Apples new Photo App first look

paparazzinick wrote:
SO I started the upload of 63,876 photos at 2pm today. yes I did it!!!! I have 41,012 left to upload in just 8 hours of uploading. I would say the Apple servers are running pretty well for me. I was out with some friends for dinner and opened photos on my iPhone and was able to access about 20k photos. It was pretty quick too on T-Mo LTE.

So for the home user, this is kick ass and a home run right now. For the pro user, well lets just wait for the official release.

Questions :
Raw or JPEG ?

Do you have a large (paid for ) iCloud ?

Feb 07, 2015 at 03:11 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Apples new Photo App first look

Ian- both raw and jpg. I would say about half the photos are raw with the other half jpg and videos.

I have 500GB of space.

Feb 07, 2015 at 07:21 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Apples new Photo App first look

paparazzinick wrote:
Ian- both raw and jpg. I would say about half the photos are raw with the other half jpg and videos.

I have 500GB of space.

thanks

£7.99 per month for 500g is a bit steep by todays standards . I tried to subscribe to office 365 when they went unlimited but found things didn't work that well with large amounts of photos

Feb 07, 2015 at 08:11 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Apples new Photo App first look

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
thanks

£7.99 per month for 500g is a bit steep by todays standards . I tried to subscribe to office 365 when they went unlimited but found things didn't work that well with large amounts of photos

My account is still on the Apple employee discount for some reason. I haven't worked for them in 6 years. I'm paying $1.99.

Feb 08, 2015 at 02:18 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.