New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Pictures of Nephew

auntjessie

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pictures of Nephew

I Love taking pics of my nephew playing in the backyard... These pics can be quite far away at times. He will also be starting T-ball soon and possibly other sports. What lens do you recommend for my D600 for these shots?
Thanks in advance for any recommendations/opinions.

Feb 05, 2015 at 09:53 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pictures of Nephew

70-200mm f/4 probably

Feb 05, 2015 at 09:59 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pictures of Nephew

Depends on the budget. I'd prefer a zoom in both situations, so the 80-400 comes to mind or the 70-300 if you're looking for something more affordable.

You might be able to get by with one of the 70-200 lenses as well if he's not too far away - for daytime stuff, the F4 would probably work just fine.

Feb 05, 2015 at 10:01 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pictures of Nephew

On an FX body, a 300+ mm lens is needed. The 70-200 works great for this on DX, but is a bit short for FX. FYI- I have 6 kids ranging in 9 months to 17 years, so chasing kids with a camera is 90% of what I do.

My recommendation for the most flexible outside lens for an FX body is the new 80-400 AFS VR lens.

However, that may be outside your budget. If so, the 70-300 AFS VR is an excellent option ... it is also significantly smaller and lighter; however, you will be challenged for reach on the long distances --- primarily field sports.

Either option will work well in decent light. Towards dusk or under lights you will be challenged and have to use very high ISOs

Cheers,
Andre

Feb 05, 2015 at 11:59 AM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pictures of Nephew

I would look into a 300 2.8 VR or 200 f/2 VR

Feb 05, 2015 at 02:02 PM
danh920
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pictures of Nephew

for tball im thinking 70-300 will give you plenty of range. With plenty of light outdoors and the iso capabilities of that camera you will have no problem shooting 1/500. I shot my nieces softball tourney last summer with a 150-600 and it handled everything from the 1st/3rd base line btwn the catcher at the plate to getting right up on the outfielders.

Feb 05, 2015 at 03:40 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.