New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · CPS Repairs

bipock
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CPS Repairs

I sent some images to CPS of the issues I am having with my 7d2 Monday night. As of this morning, no response. I tried to follow up but the rep I need to speak with doesn't come in until 330.

The rep I just talked to suggested I send in not only the camera, but my 600, 1.4x and 2x, which I am a little leary of. She mentioned she had to send in her 7d2 and 800 as that lens was the only one she had trouble with on the camera.

My issue is that today is the last day I can exchange the camera. So if I send everything in and it still comes back not working, I'm kinda screwed. Of course, if it comes back and everything is perfect, then way to go CPS.

Any suggestions?

Feb 05, 2015 at 09:26 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CPS Repairs

Quite frankly, especially given the damage to my 7d2 body, however small, and the still fresh in my mind 70 200 fiasco I recently endured with them, I would hesitate to send in that expensive lens. If it works fine on other bodies then it's not the lens. I sent in my 100 400 since I had to send in the 7D2 anyway, and I wanted them calibrated together. Both were under warranty still so I pretty much figured they couldn't charge me. I've paid what I consider pretty good money to have items out of warranty calibrated together, and now they say they don't do it, they just check them together after normal calibrating. It seems you get a different story from each rep there. Also, I had a note in with my 7D2 for them to call me. They didn't. It was there 2 days and I called each day to talk about it and each time they said someone would call me. All of a sudden I get the shipped notice. No call ever. I'm not bashing them, I still think they are some of the best in customer service. Just not perfect.

I was also disappointed in the packaging they delivered my 100 400 and 7d2 back in. Which is unusual from my experience, They had packed both these items in a box that was 8 inches by 10 inches by 12 inches. Their supervisor said that was adequate for the items when I called. Well, maybe if they're not yours! The
box I shipped them in was twice that size and I still worried.

If I were you, given the fact that you can still exchange it, and how many now are having them arrive working perfectly, I would return it for a replacement. Oh, and in spite of everything, I really, really like the 7D2. I don't regret it even given the hassle.

Feb 05, 2015 at 10:17 AM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CPS Repairs

Thanks Kathy. I did exchange it. Something about having to send the camera to CPS again didn't sit well with me given it wasn't fixed the first time.

Feb 05, 2015 at 02:29 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CPS Repairs

They dont calibrate bodies to lenses. They calibrate equipment to spec.
Kathy White wrote:
Quite frankly, especially given the damage to my 7d2 body, however small, and the still fresh in my mind 70 200 fiasco I recently endured with them, I would hesitate to send in that expensive lens. If it works fine on other bodies then it's not the lens. I sent in my 100 400 since I had to send in the 7D2 anyway, and I wanted them calibrated together. Both were under warranty still so I pretty much figured they couldn't charge me. I've paid what I consider pretty good money to have items out of warranty calibrated together,
...Show more

Feb 05, 2015 at 03:49 PM
Chris B.
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · CPS Repairs

RobertLynn wrote:
They dont calibrate bodies to lenses. They calibrate equipment to spec.

When I joined CPS about 10 years ago, Canon Jamesburg did do MFA's of specific lenses and TCs to Series 1 bodies... I had my 1DIII and subsequently 1DIV calibrated to my 500 with and without a 1.4x. I guess that procedure isn't offered any more...

Feb 05, 2015 at 03:56 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · CPS Repairs

If they never did do it then they owe me about 400 dollars.

Feb 05, 2015 at 04:35 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · CPS Repairs

Kathy White wrote:
If they never did do it then they owe me about 400 dollars.

I do not know if they is something that they did at one point, and then stopped. I just remember quite a bit of brouhaha around our FM water cooler, so I telephoned my CPS representative. I also was able to speak to a tech in the Jamesburg facility (believe that or not).

I was able to glean some information from the representatives.

1: The same techs work on CPS goods, as on the other goods. While certain techs may exude more proficiency on certain goods (for example, the guy who just started out (if there is such a thing) isn't tearing apart a 600mm lens.
2: The people who unpack the goods, aren't the same people who work on the goods. Often times, the help (especially during peak seasons) are temp workers, (and this isn't me being a prick, this is their words) who "English isn't a first language."
3:Lenses and bodies are brought to spec, not together, but on their own. This is an area of confusion, because some of the work orders will say things like "Checked with Cx lens" or equally ambiguous language, that would lead you to believe that your equipment was calibrated against one another. Why would they calibrate one lens to one body, when many people who use these pieces of equipment often own more than one body, for the lens to be used against? For example, if I sent my 24-70 in to be calibrated against 1 of my 1DIVs, I'd effectively be making that lens "less than optimal" on 3 other bodies. Not very desirable. Or when you go to sell the lens, what do you say? This lens was calibrated to my body? You've eliminated your market. Or if they bring the body to the lens? Does that make it worthless for other lenses? See the problem here? It doesn't take much to see that this practice isn't practical. Simply put, lens to spec. Body to spec. Done.

This phone call took place (and I'm pretty sure I remember this, because I was highly annoyed) when I read that my 70-200 2.8IS I and one of my 1DIII were calibrated against one another. The language in the write up would've led you to believe that, but a phone call cleared that up.

NOW- this is all "let the buyer beware." Another user may have called up Canon and heard a completely different story. As with anything, there's a lot of dross on the internet, and you've got to do a little bit of sorting, to figure it out. As for me, I have nothing to gain by giving you false information. I'm only relaying what I've been told during a phone call, that took place a few years ago. The plus side for me is that I have a very, very good memory.

Feb 07, 2015 at 09:45 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.