Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2015 · The Enchantment Lakes Wilderness - backpacking the Cascade mountains' al...

sklar
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · The Enchantment Lakes Wilderness - backpacking the Cascade mountains' alpine with an RX1R

Nice! The Enchantments sure are amazing.
I got to take a quick trip there this fall, right when the snow started moving in, definitely planning on going back.

Feb 08, 2015 at 04:21 PM
cweb

p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · The Enchantment Lakes Wilderness - backpacking the Cascade mountains' alpine with an RX1R

sjms wrote:
not a really good shot but it goes back a ways. across colchuck looking at dragontail at just before dawn. 1983.

That's truly a great sight, thanks for sharing this. I'd be interested to hear some of your stories from that trip.

Feb 08, 2015 at 06:13 PM
cweb

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · The Enchantment Lakes Wilderness - backpacking the Cascade mountains' alpine with an RX1R

sklar wrote:
Nice! The Enchantments sure are amazing.
I got to take a quick trip there this fall, right when the snow started moving in, definitely planning on going back.

Sweet, did you stay up top? You can't tell from these photos, but I hiked up there in a couple feet of snow. The first two nights were snow-camping, then a warm rain came and washed it all away, leading to these photos.

Feb 08, 2015 at 06:15 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · The Enchantment Lakes Wilderness - backpacking the Cascade mountains' alpine with an RX1R

Beauties, 2, 4 and 5 are my picks

Morris

Feb 08, 2015 at 07:57 PM
cweb

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · The Enchantment Lakes Wilderness - backpacking the Cascade mountains' alpine with an RX1R

morris wrote:
Beauties, 2, 4 and 5 are my picks

Morris

Thanks for the complement Morris

Feb 09, 2015 at 06:28 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · The Enchantment Lakes Wilderness - backpacking the Cascade mountains' alpine with an RX1R

Cool shots. They definitely make me want to be up there again, minus the climb! It is almost comical how small Asgard Pass looks in photos compared to looking down in person after having climbed it. 2 cameras, 3 lenses, 2 tripods, and 4 days worth of gear/food I'll pass on that. 1 good dslr and 1-2 nice lenses is worth it though.

Those skies and lower clouds look pretty promising for spectacular lighting conditions. Did you by chance go out shooting when the light wasn't so harsh? The highlights look pretty maxed out in a couple of these, and lower light may have helped soften things out.

Feb 09, 2015 at 06:46 PM
cweb

p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · The Enchantment Lakes Wilderness - backpacking the Cascade mountains' alpine with an RX1R

Justin Grimm wrote:
Cool shots. They definitely make me want to be up there again, minus the climb! It is almost comical how small Asgard Pass looks in photos compared to looking down in person after having climbed it. 2 cameras, 3 lenses, 2 tripods, and 4 days worth of gear/food I'll pass on that. 1 good dslr and 1-2 nice lenses is worth it though.

Those skies and lower clouds look pretty promising for spectacular lighting conditions. Did you by chance go out shooting when the light wasn't so harsh? The highlights look pretty maxed out in a couple of these, and
...Show more

You said it Justin, 1 good body plus 1-2 nice lenses. I almost took my 5D3 plus 24-105 but decided to go as light as possible with the RX1R. While I would have liked more selection, I was definitely a happier camper. The only shots in full sun were 1 and 3. The others were overcast. When I first arrived, I hiked through 1-2 feet of snow toward the top of Aasgard and camped on it for 2 nights. By the 3rd night a warm rain came (warm as in 35 degrees) and the by 4th day the snow was all gone. I do have some shots of Perfection Lake and Prussik all snow covered. The lottery starts up in a week or so =)

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:28 AM
sklar
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · The Enchantment Lakes Wilderness - backpacking the Cascade mountains' alpine with an RX1R

cweb wrote:
Sweet, did you stay up top? You can't tell from these photos, but I hiked up there in a couple feet of snow. The first two nights were snow-camping, then a warm rain came and washed it all away, leading to these photos.

Stayed up at Viviane lake. Had to navigate around a bunch of gnarly ice on trail
Shots here
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1330318/0#12690589

Feb 11, 2015 at 06:43 PM
Amanda.A

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · The Enchantment Lakes Wilderness - backpacking the Cascade mountains' alpine with an RX1R

What a great set! I'm liking 2 and 3 a lot!

Feb 11, 2015 at 07:22 PM
cweb

p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · The Enchantment Lakes Wilderness - backpacking the Cascade mountains' alpine with an RX1R

sklar wrote:
Stayed up at Viviane lake. Had to navigate around a bunch of gnarly ice on trail
Shots here
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1330318/0#12690589

Nice, so you were just there a few weeks after my trip, and it still looks like almost no snow cover. Bad winter for skiing and snowboarding. That second shot, I thought you were in the water at first! The ice threw me off, cool effect. Makes me want to return before permit season.

Feb 12, 2015 at 03:10 PM
mihind24
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · The Enchantment Lakes Wilderness - backpacking the Cascade mountains' alpine with an RX1R

Absolutely beautiful!! I can just picture the solitude and peacefulness being there, brings up my own memories!

Regarding your choice of camera gear, have you thought about reorganizing your other gear, that way making weight "available" to bring your more decent camera gear? For the trip you described, I'm down to about 18 pounds total weight (including food, water, consummables) if you don't count camera gear. This includes proper gear to ride out a bad storm during the seasons pictured (non-winter). I also take about 7-8 pounds of camera gear (5Dii, 16-35, tripod, accessories), bringing the total to about 25 pounds fully packed. I used to bring 40, 50 pounds, and I toughed it out. But going lightweight has been a revelation. Even steep hikes are more enjoyable! Plus, if I feel I may want more reach, I have no qualms adding in a 70-200 because I'll still be way under what I used to carry years ago!

If you're going into the backcountry with the main purpose being photography, then I highly recommend this approach. It's an eye opening experience! This coming from a guy who used to tell other people to just train more, lose weight, and that would make up for the extra weight carried. I've done the above. Five years ago I was in the absolute best shape of my life, yet carrying 50 pounds was hard work at some points. I'm not in that great of shape now, I probably run twice a week, but carrying half that weight, I can go for farther and longer, and feel better after doing it.

Anyway, look forward to your next backpacking trip. I loved your compositions. My favorite was #2, I love how you framed the foreground with a longer focal length, which gives the background a much mightier appearance. I can't stop looking at it. That one truly makes the mountains in the background feel huge and imposing.

Apr 01, 2015 at 04:53 AM
wbrad
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · The Enchantment Lakes Wilderness - backpacking the Cascade mountains' alpine with an RX1R

These are magnificent! Well worth the effort.

Wayne

Apr 01, 2015 at 04:59 AM
Casterguy

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · The Enchantment Lakes Wilderness - backpacking the Cascade mountains' alpine with an RX1R

Outstanding shots, thanks!

Another place to visit!

Apr 01, 2015 at 05:28 AM
rafuly
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · The Enchantment Lakes Wilderness - backpacking the Cascade mountains' alpine with an RX1R

Set really very beautiful, very beautiful places.
Excellent quality of the images ..

Rafi.

Apr 01, 2015 at 02:09 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · The Enchantment Lakes Wilderness - backpacking the Cascade mountains' alpine with an RX1R

Nice set and an amazing place. Can't add much to what has already been said and all the accolades. Hope to do this sometime before age catches up.

Apr 01, 2015 at 02:24 PM
chasphoto2015
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · The Enchantment Lakes Wilderness - backpacking the Cascade mountains' alpine with an RX1R

Spectacular and would give a body part. Just to be there right now taking photos or fishing. The lake does look kind of scary in picture 3 and 4 so best to shore fish. What a awesome set of photos !!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 01, 2015 at 02:58 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · The Enchantment Lakes Wilderness - backpacking the Cascade mountains' alpine with an RX1R

Great series & kudos for packing any gear to get there.

Apr 01, 2015 at 03:24 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · The Enchantment Lakes Wilderness - backpacking the Cascade mountains' alpine with an RX1R

that fourth one is really magical

very nice shots

Apr 01, 2015 at 05:02 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · The Enchantment Lakes Wilderness - backpacking the Cascade mountains' alpine with an RX1R

Such stark Beauty! Very nice!

Apr 01, 2015 at 09:24 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · The Enchantment Lakes Wilderness - backpacking the Cascade mountains' alpine with an RX1R

I have been eyeing hiking The Enchantments for a while. Got my permit for this year - now its upto shaping myself to climb up the Asgard pass .....

Apr 01, 2015 at 11:16 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.