Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-ti as "Fun Backup camera"

joshua grasso
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-ti as "Fun Backup camera"

I know there seems to be threads about these mirrorless cameras and weddings all the time but I was thinking maybe replacing a backup dslr with one.
I have 2 5d2's as backups and really probably don't need both so I thought my extra backup cam could be a mirrorless that I can get some more use out of for more personal fun work.
Anyone thought of using one of these asa backup camera?
Also trying to decide a7 vs xt1 I keep going back and forth. Alphas are full frame and seem capable...Fuji's just seem more fun lol

Feb 04, 2015 at 12:38 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-ti as "Fun Backup camera"

I bought an XT1/35mm as bkp this last summer, now all I have is Fuji

Feb 04, 2015 at 12:43 PM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-ti as "Fun Backup camera"

I bought an XT1/35mm as bkp this last summer, now all I have is Fuji

Yeah hope I don't get hooked. Just finished my canon kit lol

Feb 04, 2015 at 12:46 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-ti as "Fun Backup camera"

you will

joshua grasso wrote:
Yeah hope I don't get hooked. Just finished my canon kit lol

Feb 04, 2015 at 12:51 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-ti as "Fun Backup camera"

I love the image quality of the Sony full frame sensors. The a7 with their stellar 35mm and 55mm option is really hard to beat.

Feb 04, 2015 at 01:54 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-ti as "Fun Backup camera"

I ended up with an x100s as a backup 4th camera while I had one of my DSLRs away for repair. For me, fixed lens was the right choice for portability for my day-to-day stuff and to keep me from buying lenses for a new system! x100s/t might be worth considering, as well as RX1 from Sony.

Feb 04, 2015 at 04:22 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-ti as "Fun Backup camera"

Leica

Feb 04, 2015 at 04:33 PM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-ti as "Fun Backup camera"

so many choices lol
fixed lens was the right choice for portability for my day-to-day stuff and to keep me from buying lenses for a new system
I was thinking this as well. I don't want to buy too many lenses. Id like just a 35 or a zoom.

Edited on Feb 04, 2015 at 05:20 PM · View previous versions

Feb 04, 2015 at 04:55 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-ti as "Fun Backup camera"

You, Bastard !!

ricardovaste wrote:
Leica

Feb 04, 2015 at 05:20 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-ti as "Fun Backup camera"

canerino wrote:
I love the image quality of the Sony full frame sensors. The a7 with their stellar 35mm and 55mm option is really hard to beat.

While I love my RX1, I never fell in love with the A7 + 35/55.

I might vote the fuji, the 56 is spectacular and the interface is much nicer.

Feb 04, 2015 at 07:56 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-ti as "Fun Backup camera"

I've been debating the same thing, but to me getting into another interchangable lens system sort of takes away the difference and fun factor from the full DSLR wedding kit. Leaning towards an X100s for its pocketability and I shoot mostly 35mm focal length anyway.

Feb 04, 2015 at 08:28 PM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-ti as "Fun Backup camera"

stevez32 wrote:
I've been debating the same thing, but to me getting into another interchangable lens system sort of takes away the difference and fun factor from the full DSLR wedding kit. Leaning towards an X100s for its pocketability and I shoot mostly 35mm focal length anyway.

I think "pocketability" is a stretch (no pun intended) with the X100. Unless you have very large coat pockets or cargo pants, that sucker ain't going in no pockets I know of.
I've been on the fence about the same set of cameras. My thinking is that if I want something compact with an interchangeable system (A7/X-T1) I could use one of the thinner 'pancake' style lenses around 35mm.

BTW, I like the fact that the Sony has great video and the A7II has built in stabilization; however I LOVE the look of the Fuji systems.

Feb 05, 2015 at 12:32 AM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-ti as "Fun Backup camera"

S-Man23 wrote:
I think "pocketability" is a stretch (no pun intended) with the X100. Unless you have very large coat pockets or cargo pants, that sucker ain't going in no pockets I know of.
I've been on the fence about the same set of cameras. My thinking is that if I want something compact with an interchangeable system (A7/X-T1) I could use one of the thinner 'pancake' style lenses around 35mm.

BTW, I like the fact that the Sony has great video and the A7II has built in stabilization; however I LOVE the look of the Fuji systems.

True, yes I meant portability (compared to a heavier XT1 or DSLR). Ideally I'd like a 2.0 pancake 23mm from Fuji, then I would probably just get a XE or XT1 and also a 56mm 1.2 to round it out. The 23mm 1.4 is great optically it seems, but relatively huge and heavy!

Feb 05, 2015 at 12:59 AM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-ti as "Fun Backup camera"

I have been contemplating the same thing.

Feb 05, 2015 at 01:03 AM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-ti as "Fun Backup camera"

however I LOVE the look of the Fuji systems.
I hate to admit looks is half the reason I wan the fuji lol. The graphite x-t1 is sexy

Feb 05, 2015 at 08:32 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-ti as "Fun Backup camera"

Joshua, whatever you get.... I wanna come play one day so I can see what I think. Sound like a deal? Maybe we could shoot each other for some work shots or something along that nature.

Feb 05, 2015 at 10:57 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-ti as "Fun Backup camera"

why not go into it solely based on the image quality and features and not care so much about how sexy the camera is?

Feb 05, 2015 at 10:58 AM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-ti as "Fun Backup camera"

why not go into it solely based on the image quality and features and not care so much about how sexy the camera is?

lol thats what i'm TRYING to do..normally don't care but the fuji really does look pretty sharp. If I do end up getting one. Sure you can try it

Feb 05, 2015 at 12:20 PM
thorne88
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-ti as "Fun Backup camera"

I just sold my A7 + 55 1.8 and bought an X100T. I didn't want to have to build a new system so I thought a fixed lens would be best for me. The Fuji is literally in a box next to me as I'm at work so I don't have any words on it.

A7, though a great little camera, was extremely boring for me to use. It felt more like a computer than it did a real camera. I don't know, pretty uninspiring.

Feb 05, 2015 at 12:25 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-ti as "Fun Backup camera"

sherijohnson wrote:

Leica

Feb 05, 2015 at 01:30 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.