New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · FM Posting Image size

Charles Loy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FM Posting Image size

I see photos in the threads that are 1610X1078.. 1400X940.. 1280X860.
Through the years the image posting size has increased, but surely there is a realistic limit. The above numbers, in my humble opinion are a bit on the large size. I have a monitor that handles these sizes, but I wager many users have to scroll side to side and up-down to see the full images. Myself, I'm an 900X600 or so kind of poster. Just saying..

Feb 04, 2015 at 07:25 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FM Posting Image size

Most of my image posts are 800px on the long side. Of course, if somebody has already posted a larger image in a particular thread, I'll occasionally go up to 1200 px. I guess that makes it an issue of escalating dimensions.

If you want to affect change, you could send a PM to Fred to request that he establishes a reasonable limit. He probably keeps track of such comments.

Feb 04, 2015 at 08:16 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FM Posting Image size

jcolwell wrote:
Most of my image posts are 800px on the long side. Of course, if somebody has already posted a larger image in a particular thread, I'll occasionally go up to 1200 px. I guess that makes it an issue of escalating dimensions.

If you want to affect change, you could send a PM to Fred to request that he establishes a reasonable limit. He probably keeps track of such comments.

If your image is too large, a size error message pops up stating so..at least years ago it did. As Jim states..the larger the more issues can be created.
I have a PS "action" that resizes all my images for web. Long side is 900 max.
Dan

Edited on Feb 04, 2015 at 09:50 AM · View previous versions

Feb 04, 2015 at 09:34 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · FM Posting Image size

Test post: 1.45 MP 1600 px image

OK. I posted a version of this image at 1.45 MP and 1600px x 1067px, assuming it would violate the filesize restriction. To my surprise, it was automatically resized to the 250 KB and 850px x 567px image that you see below.

Feb 04, 2015 at 09:43 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · FM Posting Image size

That's the way to test it Jim...Gud job!!
Dan

Now I took a 2672x3072 pixel image @ 6.6mb uploaded it and FM resized it to [email protected]

Edited on Feb 04, 2015 at 10:05 AM · View previous versions

Feb 04, 2015 at 09:51 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · FM Posting Image size

...and here's the same 1600px x 1067px image saved with more compression, to a filesize of 604 KB.

[image was successfully posted and deleted by me.]

OK. This file was accepted and displayed at its full 1600 x 1067 size. So, it appears that the previous 'filesize warning' errmsg has been replaced by a downsizing app, but the image size in terms of number of pixels is still not limited.

I could try a larger test file, but I'd rather finish shovelling off the deck, so I can get to teh BBQ.

Feb 04, 2015 at 09:53 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · FM Posting Image size

jcolwell wrote:
...and here's the same 1600px x 1067px image saved with more compression, to a filesize of 604 KB.

[image was successfully posted and deleted by me.]

OK. This file was accepted and displayed at its full 1600 x 1067 size. So, it appears that the previous 'filesize warning' errmsg has been replaced by a downsizing app, but the image size in terms of number of pixels is still not limited.

I could try a larger test file, but I'd rather finish shovelling off the deck, so I can get to teh BBQ.

Ah Ha Jim..Like your priorities!!!!!!!

Feb 04, 2015 at 10:06 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · FM Posting Image size

Danpbphoto wrote:
That's the way to test it Jim...Gud job!!
Dan

Thanks, Dan.

That's a nice photo, but I actually prefer the one I saw online earlier this week, of Jimmy the Groundhog "whispering" to the Mayor of Sun Prairie WI.

We have our own groundhog soothsayer here in Nova Scotia, Schubenacadie Sam,

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/shubenacadie-sam-predicts-6-more-weeks-of-winter-1.2939970

We're in for six more weeks of winter. We're still cleaning up from a 'Nor-easter' storm on Monday night, and it looks like we have three more lined up over the next six days.

Feb 04, 2015 at 10:07 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · FM Posting Image size

jcolwell wrote:
Thanks, Dan.

That's a nice photo, but I actually prefer the one I saw online earlier this week, of Jimmy the Groundhog "whispering" to the Mayor of Sun Prairie WI.

We have our own groundhog soothsayer here in Nova Scotia, Schubenacadie Sam,

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/shubenacadie-sam-predicts-6-more-weeks-of-winter-1.2939970

We're in for six more weeks of winter. We're still cleaning up from a 'Nor-easter' storm on Monday night, and it looks like we have three more lined up over the next six days.

Yea that is what Punxsatawney Phil said also..he was so po'd that he bit the Mayor!! These images were from a few years back. The town has about 20 of these statues in a multitude of designs around the city.
Your Sam appears more natural!!
Go get that BBQ!!!
Dan

Feb 04, 2015 at 10:10 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · FM Posting Image size

The large size photos I noticed are on the Nikon Forum, D810 image thread.
Fred will read this thread, I see no need for amyone to message him, as mentioned by jcolwell

Feb 04, 2015 at 10:17 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · FM Posting Image size

Charles Loy wrote:
The large size photos I noticed are on the Nikon Forum, D810 image thread.
Fred will read this thread, I see no need for amyone to message him, as mentioned by jcolwell

It appears Fred has coded in a "resize" format and deleted the error message I spoke of..
Dan

Feb 04, 2015 at 10:24 AM
Ray S.
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · FM Posting Image size

In terms of auto-resizing, does it matter HOW the images are posted? I store my stuff on Flickr and the easiest way to post here is just to copy and paste the BB code, rather than use the image box on the left and just post a simple URL. But if that creates problems, I can do it with the image box and URL... I posted some 1600 pixel wide images yesterday (Nikon Df thread) and they look fine on my 27" Mac and my iPad mini, but seem to screw stuff up and run off the page on my Mac laptop...

I'm new here and just trying to be a good citizen.

-Ray

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:10 PM
bf5hpjg
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · FM Posting Image size

Ray S. wrote:
In terms of auto-resizing, does it matter HOW the images are posted? I store my stuff on Flickr and the easiest way to post here is just to copy and paste the BB code, rather than use the image box on the left and just post a simple URL. But if that creates problems, I can do it with the image box and URL... I posted some 1600 pixel wide images yesterday (Nikon Df thread) and they look fine on my 27" Mac and my iPad mini, but seem to screw stuff up and run off the page on
...Show more

Welcome Ray!..
I use a PS action created by a member here many years ago, Chad Caswell, chevy454??
It resizes and sharpens the image to a very good size for FM....I recommend it..It leaves all doubt out of the equation.
Angelo

PS Dan your PP images are a hoot!!!!

Feb 16, 2015 at 05:18 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.