New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Opteka GH1 Gimbal - heads up

Colin F
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Opteka GH1 Gimbal - heads up

I recently bought the Opteka GH1 Gimbal Head as it was attractively priced compared to many others. However, the old adage "you get what you pay for" applies here. Please check out my experience here on DP Review:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3793038

Feb 03, 2015 at 03:32 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Opteka GH1 Gimbal - heads up

I have a Bieke version . bought at a super low cost via amazon .
First let me say Ive never used a Wimberly (or similar) 'proper' gimbal . but I have to say the Bieke has worked fine .
it may not be a dead smooth in operation as wimberly but its certainly not 'grabby'
I don't use it often but when I do I have no complaints about it . and it cost me less than £60 shipped .
If I could justify and afford a 'proper' version then I would . but I can't and the Bieke does the job I want from it

Feb 03, 2015 at 06:55 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Opteka GH1 Gimbal - heads up

Yes, now that I've rebuilt the pivots and fixed the end of the bolt, it works "ok". I would encourage you to at least take the lower knob/bolt completely out and inspect the end.

Feb 03, 2015 at 07:02 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Opteka GH1 Gimbal - heads up

Colin F wrote:
Yes, now that I've rebuilt the pivots and fixed the end of the bolt, it works "ok". I would encourage you to at least take the lower knob/bolt completely out and inspect the end.

I might do that . although as it works fine (for me) maybe leaving it is the best option

Feb 04, 2015 at 02:15 AM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Opteka GH1 Gimbal - heads up

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I might do that, although as it works fine (for me) maybe leaving it is the best option.

You don't have to take anything apart to inspect the end of the bolt, just unscrew it all the way and have a good look at it with a magnifying glass or loupe. Given the way it was finished on mine from the factory, and that this is critical to how well it locks the rotation, and the longevity of the race, I'd suggest that it would be wise to have a look at it.

Feb 04, 2015 at 09:36 AM
thattemer
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Opteka GH1 Gimbal - heads up

I just received the bieke version the other day. I had to completely disassemble it and remove all the sticky grease with some degreaser. And i had to take some emery cloth to the inside of the bottom pivot because it was so poorly machined and had some nicks and small gouges in it. Works nice and smooth now.

Feb 04, 2015 at 09:01 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Opteka GH1 Gimbal - heads up

thattemer wrote:
I just received the bieke version the other day. I had to completely disassemble it and remove all the sticky grease with some degreaser. And I had to take some emery cloth to the inside of the bottom pivot because it was so poorly machined and had some nicks and small gouges in it. Works nice and smooth now.

Interesting; did you have a close look at the end of the bolt, as I showed in that DPR thread? That I suggest is paramount.

Feb 04, 2015 at 09:22 PM
thattemer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Opteka GH1 Gimbal - heads up

Yes i forgot to mention that. i did have to do some work to the end of the bolt. I just used a hand file and some emery cloth.

Colin F wrote:
Interesting; did you have a close look at the end of the bolt, as I showed in that DPR thread? That I suggest is paramount.

Feb 04, 2015 at 09:30 PM
thattemer
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Opteka GH1 Gimbal - heads up

They probably just used threaded rod and glued a knob on the end and just cut it to length without crowning or smoothing the end on it.

Feb 04, 2015 at 09:41 PM
jmckayak
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Opteka GH1 Gimbal - heads up

I was at a local birding spot and met a guy who was using a cheap gimbal head with a new 600mm lens. He liked that gimbal UNTIL the plate clamp screw broke and the lens nearly dropped. He said that he caught the lens as it was dropping off the clamp. Best to double check the clamp screw while you're fixing the pivot screw.

Feb 05, 2015 at 10:30 AM
996gt2
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Opteka GH1 Gimbal - heads up

jmckayak wrote:
I was at a local birding spot and met a guy who was using a cheap gimbal head with a new 600mm lens. He liked that gimbal UNTIL the plate clamp screw broke and the lens nearly dropped. He said that he caught the lens as it was dropping off the clamp. Best to double check the clamp screw while you're fixing the pivot screw.

Wow, why would anyone use a cheap gimbal with a $10,000 lens? It seems like if one could afford to spend that much on a lens, they can spare $500 or so for a good gimbal.

Feb 08, 2015 at 01:43 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.