Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · I got pulled over

Ghost
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · I got pulled over

Black sheeps are terrible painters. Make others look bad.

I don't fret over this. My House Rules clause is part of my contract.

Wedding is about two people.

Feb 03, 2015 at 05:26 PM
fstopperdown
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · I got pulled over

I got the ... "It's God's Day" line after trying to shoot a baptism.

Poor family had assembled from across the country.

I had shot there a number of times as a second shooter.

I have seen enough (including a dope smoking wedding party having a tailgate in the church parking lot) to think he held couples accountable in his own way.

Partly squashing the photographers.

He played favorites depending upon the status of the family in the church.

Sadly, I can understand. God is supposed to be a part of the wedding, and in many cases I felt he (the preacher and God) was more a prop to many couples.

Awhile later he retired from the church.... and I got him for a beach wedding. He was happy and could care less as I was literally shooting over his shoulder clicking away... go figure.

Feb 03, 2015 at 06:40 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · I got pulled over

Ziffl3 wrote:

gloated about the fact that he will still do it in the future.
Real professionalism .... Not.

He was so proud of his shot that other photographers don't get.

Feb 04, 2015 at 07:57 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · I got pulled over

sivrajbm wrote:
I never get this I have said it before. You know you are going to the church, talk to the Priest/Minister before the wedding, Days before. It is their house you don't just show up at someone's house you don't know and do what you like...End of story....

As a Catholic, I understand..believe me I do..but the above poster makes an excellant point. When my wife and I renewed our vows, in a Catholic Church, I talked to our priest about taking pictures days, weeks before. He is a very nice guy and no problems BUT I too recommend you talk to the priest, minister, rabbi, whatever denomination is saying the ceremony BEFORE you shoot the event. If it is a "last minute" issue, then ASAP talk to the minister. Many ministers are "old fashioned" about church ceremony etiquette.
Just FYI, I found this website on this specific subject..maybe it will enlighten all of us. I am not disrespecting you or any of the other opinions presented here. I am just trying to maybe prevent this happening to anyother photographer no matter what type of religious service or otherwise..
http://digitalprotalk.blogspot.com/2010/03/keeping-faith-my-15-steps-for-shooting.html
Good luck!
Dan

Feb 04, 2015 at 09:21 AM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · I got pulled over

Ok, my point was not understood, of course you need to talk to the priest, but once again, its not about talking, is about how he did the talking.

Feb 04, 2015 at 12:35 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · I got pulled over

sgtbueno wrote:
Ok, my point was not understood, of course you need to talk to the priest, but once again, its not about talking, is about how he did the talking.

Point taken! My above post still pertains to "his" house. It is also about listening, no disrespect intended "sb". It is all about "schmoozing" the minister. Some like it others want to be a hard ass. Nature of the beast.
Just be patient with them all..it will work out....I know some wedding/event photographers who ask to return after the ceremony to shoot pics when minister is not needed.
Dan

Edited on Feb 04, 2015 at 03:21 PM · View previous versions

Feb 04, 2015 at 01:12 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · I got pulled over

Danpbphoto wrote:
As a Catholic, I understand..believe me I do..but the above poster makes an excellant point. When my wife and I renewed our vows, in a Catholic Church, I talked to our priest about taking pictures days, weeks before. He is a very nice guy and no problems BUT I too recommend you talk to the priest, minister, rabbi, whatever denomination is saying the ceremony BEFORE you shoot the event. If it is a "last minute" issue, then ASAP talk to the minister. Many ministers are "old fashioned" about church ceremony etiquette.
Just FYI, I found this website on this specific subject..maybe
...Show more

Good Article, I have more fun and make more money shooting them, than performing them...

Feb 04, 2015 at 01:59 PM
bf5hpjg
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · I got pulled over

Danpbphoto wrote:
Just FYI, I found this website on this specific subject..maybe
...Show more

Being a good listener, while maybe not hearing what you want to hear, is part of the "game". Try to work around the roadblocks set by the minister. Go outside the "nine dots" to get those images that the family will treasure. Did you speak to the family about the obstacles present after your "reading out" by the priest? They need to be aware that some shots are out of your control and hence you are not contractually liable for not obtaining that shot. Communication is of the essence!
Good Luck!
Angelo

Feb 04, 2015 at 03:42 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · I got pulled over

I didn't speak to anyone, I waited after the ceremony, I didn't wanted it to be a sour lemon on their wedding day. I got what I need and covered everything, and the bride is happy, this whole thing is not about if I got the images or not, it's about the way that he spoke to me.

Edited on Feb 05, 2015 at 10:40 AM · View previous versions

Feb 04, 2015 at 10:54 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · I got pulled over

'his house'? really? I'm not catholic and don't know of the etiquette however I find this quite surprising that a minister is considered the owner of their place of worship.

Feb 05, 2015 at 07:39 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · I got pulled over

I just wish these guys would make all this clear to the couple (ie. their paying customers) so they are clear of the impact on their wedding photography before they agree to use (and pay) the church. This pretty much never happens. There would still be the usual problem of the 'rules' magically changing on the day though...

Feb 08, 2015 at 09:03 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · I got pulled over

Beni wrote:

I find this quite surprising that a minister is considered the owner of their place of worship.

That's the way it is in the States.

Feb 08, 2015 at 10:06 AM
Njphotostudio
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · I got pulled over

All this is a leaning experience when dealing with client. Post like this help us (other photographers) to be prepare better when doing our contracts. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I am catholic. So I already know how far I can work in a Catholic Church. I have been expose to others churches while attending different events.

When I meet with clients, I make it 100 % clear about some of these officiants (priests, pastors, ministers ...) Some of those officiants are really cool about the wedding day and work well with us.

I had one contract where the pastor did not want any photos of during ceremony, but was okay with few props after ceremony was finished. All of this was discussed during the contract signing with my client and was noted.

I always go to see the officiant before the ceremony starts, so he know I will show respect to the church and find my limits within. So far, every other event I have had, I had no problems so far.

Feb 10, 2015 at 01:05 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.