Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Tethering Error LR 5.7 (Mac+Canon users)

Sean Reagan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tethering Error LR 5.7 (Mac+Canon users)

I'm new to the tethering game. Upon buying all of my cords I found that LR 5.7 does not detect my camera. Solutions...

Gear :

Canon 5D Mark I
Tripp•Lite USB 2.0 Active Extension Cable 16ft.
MacBook Pro 13inch retina (OS X Yosemite) 10.10.2
LR 5.7

Feb 02, 2015 at 09:37 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tethering Error LR 5.7 (Mac+Canon users)

have you tried it using canon's software ? if you can get it to tether thru that then you should be able to move onto LR

Feb 03, 2015 at 09:20 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tethering Error LR 5.7 (Mac+Canon users)

According to Adobe's website, the EOS 5D Mark I is no longer supported after LR 4.1
http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/tethered-camera-support-lightroom-4.html

Ian's idea is something I've used before. Canon's Digital Photo Professional (DPP) is free and works well.

Then have Lightroom watch the folder where the images are importing to pull them in automatically.

Feb 03, 2015 at 11:01 AM
Sean Reagan

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tethering Error LR 5.7 (Mac+Canon users)

Thanks for the replies! What is the actual name of the software that you're talking about Ian.Dobinson?

Feb 03, 2015 at 05:08 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tethering Error LR 5.7 (Mac+Canon users)

I seem to recall Canon stopped USB tethering support for the EOS 5D a couple years back. I could be wrong but it wouldn't be difficult to check on Canon's website.

Feb 03, 2015 at 06:36 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tethering Error LR 5.7 (Mac+Canon users)

Sean Reagan wrote:
Thanks for the replies! What is the actual name of the software that you're talking about Ian.Dobinson?

Iys the canon software that come on the disk supplied with the camera . I think there are a couple of utilities on the disk .

But as mentioned above the later versions may well have dropped some older (5D etc) from the support . but if you have the old disk or can get hold of one then its should still work (although new OS drivers could be an issue)

failing that do you have an old LR4 disk/licence ? you could install that and just run that for tethering

another alternative could be to use an eye-fi type SD card (in an adapter) and send the files over wifi . (not ideal as speeds can be an issue )

Feb 03, 2015 at 06:46 PM
Sean Reagan

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tethering Error LR 5.7 (Mac+Canon users)

I managed to get DPP for my mac, but it doesn't read my cam in LR. I bought my camera used and I didn't receive any CDs with it, or cords. So you're saying that if I get LR 4 I can tether? I might be able to get that online. Also, I don't want to get an eye-fi card because I shoot 90% of my shoots in random places; not to mention the 5D uses CF cards. Canon only offers updates on their site. I downloaded the latest up date deleted a file and got DPP to work. It's just LR failing. (I think)

Feb 03, 2015 at 10:57 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tethering Error LR 5.7 (Mac+Canon users)

Sean Reagan wrote:
I managed to get DPP for my mac, but it doesn't read my cam in LR.

if you can get the camera to tether with the canon software then you should be able to send images to a destination (folder) that Lghtroom can monitor
I bought my camera used and I didn't receive any CDs with it, or cords. So you're saying that if I get LR 4 I can tether? I might be able to get that online.
from the adobe link above it looks like the 5D tether was dropped at 4.1 so if you can get a copy of 4 it 'SHOULD' work (like I said earlier new OS driver issues could scupper thinks anyway) Also, I don't want to get an eye-fi card because I shoot 90% of my shoots in random places; not to mention the 5D uses CF cards. . I know the 5D takes CF , but you can put an SD card in an SD/CF adapter and use that . Ive done that with SD cards (including a wifi card) in my 7D for ages. Canon only offers updates on their site. I downloaded the latest up date deleted a file and got DPP to work. It's just LR failing. (I think)

did you get the 5D to tether with the latest Canon software ? I though as was mentioned above the later software had dropped the 5D

Feb 04, 2015 at 02:05 AM
david debalko
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tethering Error LR 5.7 (Mac+Canon users)

Smart shooter 3 works good for me - http://kuvacode.com
You can try the demo, I shoot Nikon but I would guess Canon would work

Feb 05, 2015 at 11:53 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tethering Error LR 5.7 (Mac+Canon users)

Original 5D not in the list of supported cameras though
http://kuvacode.com/smart-shooter/supported-cameras

Feb 05, 2015 at 12:45 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.