FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · 7D2 focus issues

Garylv
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 7D2 focus issues

lowa2 wrote:
....The problem is that it looks perfectly focused in my viewfinder, but the images are out of focus or completely missed (blurry) on the image sensor. It almost looks like the image sensor and PDAF sensors are misaligned somehow.

I've seen at least one person (there could be more) who quoted the repair ticket from Canon mentioning a misalignment like that. So it may well be the case. If so it's discouraging that Canon Canada can't find the issue. I would send it to another service center if possible, or even exchange it if you can.

There's no way for us to know but it's possible there were some final assembly issues with one or more employees (their procedures) early in the production run. And corrected shortly after. There could be any number of possibilities but I haven't read or seen anything yet to indicate it's a design problem or a defective part showing up in all the cameras.

Feb 03, 2015 at 05:08 PM
Dutch937
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 7D2 focus issues

lowa2 wrote:
I agree with most of what you said there but you have to realise that some of us vocal users with issues do actually know what they are doing. Testing conditions are critical for AF testing and there are a lot of people who have no idea what they are doing when it comes to long lenses.

I like to think that I know what I am doing. I've been shooting at 700mm f5.6 on crop for a long time. I have also been shooting 1000mm f8 on FF for a long time (all with the 500II and 500I and
...Show more

I suggest contacting this person at Canon Canada>> Andrew Seepa - 905-795-2111 Ext 3610
I had a long conversation with him regarding my disappointment in how they handled my situation. he seemed to get it, although he claims he has never had any other complaints on the 7D Mark ii. Unfortunately, i had given up on this body and let it go, so it was too late for me. I do believe he can help and will do what he can to make sure you get the proper service you deserve. There are definitely some bad copies out there and many good ones. The company needs to stand behind their product and at the same time, make sure their customers stay return customers.

Feb 03, 2015 at 05:24 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 7D2 focus issues

Garylv wrote:
I've seen at least one person (there could be more) who quoted the repair ticket from Canon mentioning a misalignment like that. So it may well be the case. If so it's discouraging that Canon Canada can't find the issue. I would send it to another service center if possible, or even exchange it if you can.

I have a hard time having full confidence in the accuracy of the descriptions of what Canon says was done at a Canon repair facility.

I've known a Canon technician for several years. He has told me that, more often than not, when a camera is sent in for focusing issues, they test the camera and find nothing wrong with it, but, because they know that the customers expect that their cameras are going to be "fixed", regardless of what was or what was not done, they will often send the camera back with one of those vague and ambiguous descriptions, such as saying that the AF sensors were aligned. He said that his favorite one is the one about "electrical adjustments were made". He further said that he is amazed at how many people seem to be pleased with the "repairs", even though nothing was done to their cameras. That says a lot about the psychological effects of a placebo. Either that, or bouncing around on a UPS or FedEx truck on the trips to and from Canon magically fixed the problem. Ever since hearing that, I've always been been curious about what was actually done or what wasn't done when people are happy after Canon has said that they made "electrical adjustments" on the AF system of their cameras.

Feb 03, 2015 at 06:12 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 7D2 focus issues

I agree with uz2work for the most part. When I first got a 5DIII I was sure there was something wrong with the AF....then bought Art Morse's guide for Canon's current auto focus system and magic happened...I learn how to use the darn thing....

Feb 03, 2015 at 06:39 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 7D2 focus issues

uz2work wrote:
Ever since hearing that, I've always been been curious about what was actually done or what wasn't done when people are happy after Canon has said that they made "electrical adjustments" on the AF system of their cameras.

Resetting all settings to factory default is probably enough adjustment for many cases.

...oh, and you forgot to mention that testing AF in diffuse, contrast-less, listless, vague Winter light is a great idea.

Feb 03, 2015 at 07:29 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 7D2 focus issues

Modern DSLR's just have too many options that confuse too many users.

Not like the old film days when it was ASA, shutter speed, and f-stop.

Feb 03, 2015 at 07:56 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 7D2 focus issues

John_T wrote:
Resetting all settings to factory default is probably enough adjustment for many cases.

Over the years, I've assisted a good number of people, both in person and via email, in trying to figure out why their AF results were not good. You would be amazed at how many times resetting all AF settings to defaults does the trick.

Actually, convincing people to reset all of the AF settings to defaults is not the hard part. The hard part is convincing them not to immediately move to some other haphazardly-done array of custom settings

Feb 03, 2015 at 07:57 PM
7echo

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 7D2 focus issues

"I have a hard time having full confidence in the accuracy of the descriptions of what Canon says was done at a Canon repair facility.

I've known a Canon technician for several years. He has told me that, more often than not, when a camera is sent in for focusing issues, they test the camera and find nothing wrong with it, but, because they know that the customers expect that their cameras are going to be "fixed", regardless of what was or what was not done, they will often send the camera back with one of those vague and ambiguous descriptions, such as saying that the AF sensors were aligned. He said that his favorite one is the one about "electrical adjustments were made". He further said that he is amazed at how many people seem to be pleased with the "repairs", even though nothing was done to their cameras. That says a lot about the psychological effects of a placebo. Either that, or bouncing around on a UPS or FedEx truck on the trips to and from Canon magically fixed the problem. Ever since hearing that, I've always been been curious about what was actually done or what wasn't done when people are happy after Canon has said that they made "electrical adjustments" on the AF system of their cameras. "

I manage an area with a lot of machines used by young and inexperienced operators. The machines often get blamed for poor work. My techs check things out and often report that 'It was a loose nut between the machine and the floor."

I will get the 7D2. Thanks for the comments everyone.

Feb 03, 2015 at 08:41 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.