Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · file size that much different from APS-C to Full Frame??

Ghostinz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · file size that much different from APS-C to Full Frame??

Someone help me out here. I have noticed that with fully formatted SD cards in both my D600 and D7100, that the file count is almost double on the D7100. I know this is just an estimate, but I thought they would be at least similar.

On both cameras, Card 1 is RAW, and Card 2 is JPEG. Using small cards, 16GB. On the D600 the Count is about 300 shots, on the D7100 the count is about 700 shots. This seems odd since they both have 24 Megapixel sensors.

Feb 01, 2015 at 04:00 PM
jbouchard
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · file size that much different from APS-C to Full Frame??

If they are both 24 mp sensors they both start out with the same amount of raw data. The first thing that comes to mind for the difference might be compression settings, like one has 14bit uncompressed and the other has 12 bit compressed, and fine vs small jpg, etc.

Edited on Feb 01, 2015 at 04:15 PM · View previous versions

Feb 01, 2015 at 04:09 PM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · file size that much different from APS-C to Full Frame??

I wouldn't think there would have been THAT much difference, but it's logical that the 600 files contain more digital information, hence bigger file sizes, since the actual sensor size is bigger. Even though they are both 24 mp the size of the sensor makes the difference.

Feb 01, 2015 at 04:12 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · file size that much different from APS-C to Full Frame??

Set both cameras to 12 bit lossless compressed and large JPG to compare. Should give about the same result.
Same amount of pixels + same level of information (12 bit lossless compressed for instance) should give the same amount of pictures on a card (of the same size).

The difference between 12 bit lossless compressed and 14 bit lossless compressed on my cameras is about 30% increase on the 14 bit files.

Feb 01, 2015 at 04:15 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · file size that much different from APS-C to Full Frame??

the solitaire wrote:
Set both cameras to 12 bit lossless compressed and large JPG to compare. Should give about the same result.
Same amount of pixels + same level of information (12 bit lossless compressed for instance) should give the same amount of pictures on a card (of the same size).

The difference between 12 bit lossless compressed and 14 bit lossless compressed on my cameras is about 30% increase on the 14 bit files.

+1
The files are about the same size on my D600 & D7100

Feb 01, 2015 at 04:27 PM
Ghostinz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · file size that much different from APS-C to Full Frame??

Ghostinz wrote:
Someone help me out here. I have noticed that with fully formatted SD cards in both my D600 and D7100, that the file count is almost double on the D7100. I know this is just an estimate, but I thought they would be at least similar.

On both cameras, Card 1 is RAW, and Card 2 is JPEG. Using small cards, 16GB. On the D600 the Count is about 300 shots, on the D7100 the count is about 700 shots. This seems odd since they both have 24 Megapixel sensors.

Well guys...laugh WITH me, not AT me!! I NEVER change my file size settings, so I NEVER even bothered to look there first!! so obvious that it never occurred to me! Its been a long week. I must have bumped the setting while shooting on Tuesday, because it was set to to JPEG only..not RAW+JPEG...haha.

FWIW...once I set that back to normal, the picture counts are about the same now! haha..

Feb 01, 2015 at 10:39 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · file size that much different from APS-C to Full Frame??

egd5 wrote:
I wouldn't think there would have been THAT much difference, but it's logical that the 600 files contain more digital information, hence bigger file sizes, since the actual sensor size is bigger. Even though they are both 24 mp the size of the sensor makes the difference.

But, the number of pixels is the same, so the info generated would be the same.

Kent in SD

Feb 02, 2015 at 09:03 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.