New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Questions to people who recently upgraded CPU

15Bit
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Questions to people who recently upgraded CPU

With SSD's nowadays you are really splitting the difference between "really damn fast" and "really really damn fast". For a desktop user the real SSD performance advantage comes from the low latency, and for all practical purposes that is the same for both SATA and M.2 connected drives. The top end performance figures you see quoted, and which make M.2 look better, are for large queue depth transfers and the sorts of workloads that are not so relevant to a Desktop PC user.

Edited on Feb 11, 2015 at 01:36 AM · View previous versions

Feb 10, 2015 at 02:26 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Questions to people who recently upgraded CPU

MadManAce wrote:
I decided to wait until M.2 replaces Sata6 as the standard interface. Then I will buy whatever 4-core Intel/Asus MB combo is relevant along with two Samsung XP941 PCIe (or equivalent) SSDs, one to run the operating system (and LR Catalog) and the other to use as a scratch disk. All media will be stored on separate drives the same as I do now.

Why wait? With the current crop of SSDs you can hit 500 MB/sec + transfer speeds. An extra 20 to 30% is not going to make a difference for pretty anything you do, unless you are running a particularly exotic application that can benefit from this boost. I bought a pair of 480GB Intel 730's to run in RAID 0 on my z97 motherboard and it makes no difference in my day to day use even though the RAID array gives me sustained reads in excess of 1,100 MB/s.

Feb 10, 2015 at 06:42 PM
redcrown
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Questions to people who recently upgraded CPU

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I'd ask to draw your attention to these threads on other forums.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3795077#forum-post-55278770
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=97727.0

Because it looks like there are some people with good hardware knowledge in this thread and I'm getting nowhere with those other threads. I'm desperate for someone to duplicate my tests to confirm or deny an issue.

Summary: I think I've discovered a problem with Adobe Camera Raw processing speed on a new I7-5820 system. I think it may be related to the use of AVX/AVX2 which was added in the latest version 8.7 release of ACR.

Feb 12, 2015 at 03:42 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.