FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Cranes and Eagles

Chris_88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cranes and Eagles

Here are a few shots taken during a recent trip to Northern Japan. I apologize if these pictures aren't up to the high standards of many posters here, I'm primarily a landscape shooter who has only recently discovered the joys of birding. This was my third outing. These were taken with a 70-400G2 and a Sony a77ii. Unfortunately, I often found myself lacking sufficient reach. Any comments (re technique, PP or longer lenses) would be appreciated.

Cranes in flight formation (may be the shutter speed should have been slightly higher in this one)

Taking in the morning sun (I really would have loved to have 100-200mm more reach here)

Landing

Steller's Sea Eagle

Another Steller's Sea Eagle (this one is unfortunately kinda noisy, but I liked the composition with the eagle being surrounded by crows)

Jan 31, 2015 at 02:29 AM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cranes and Eagles

Nice shots of 2 species we rarely see here. I'd like to see them larger. They are only 20% of my screen on my ancient 24" iMac.

Jan 31, 2015 at 08:13 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cranes and Eagles

A nice set Chris. 4 is my pick, but try to not cut off body parts ~ Ron

Jan 31, 2015 at 09:03 AM
Shiva dancing
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cranes and Eagles

Delightful set - happy to hear that you are enjoying bird photography - it is addictive.

Jan 31, 2015 at 09:20 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cranes and Eagles

You did a very nice job. The second is a very pretty environmental portrait

Morris

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:46 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cranes and Eagles

Fine shots Chris. It sounds like your are hooked now. Join the club
David

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:52 PM
Chris_88
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cranes and Eagles

Thanks everyone for your kind comments and encouragement.

It's indeed addictive. The trouble is that this addiction is correlated to GAS . Currently, I'm looking into ways to get more reach: I'll probably rent one of those big white's for a day to see how I can handle the weight and mass. Ideally, I'd like to have something that offers more reach than my current 70-400G (i.e. 600mm on APSC), but is handholdable for brief periods of time. Currently I'm thinking about the setups below. Even if I sell off a lot of gear, I'm not sure whether I could afford say, a 500mm II (may be if it's used). Out of the combinations below, what would think is the best compromise between reach, image quality, AF and weight?

D810 (in 1.2 or crop mode) and 150-600: Crop mode is not ideal, but I like the D810's high ISO performance.
a77ii and 300G2 + 2x TC: AF would be slow, but that lens is excellent, close to the Canon equivalent.
7D2 and 400 DO I and 1.4x TC: The size and range would be great, but opinion on this lens seems to be divided. It would be great, if the version II would be slightly more affordable.
7D2 and 300mm II + 2x TC: From the pictures I've seen, the quality is fine, but AF probably is slow.
7D2 and 500 I +1.4x TC: Here the question is whether my back will hold up and whether I can use this one without a gimbal, for instance using a solid monopod.

Here are a few more pictures from the same trip:

Bring it on...

Unfortunately, that tree branch got in the way, but I really liked that eagles' facial expression.

Take off

Jan 31, 2015 at 07:46 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.