New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Minolta Hood Suggestions

lonleyppl

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Minolta Hood Suggestions

I have a Minolta MC Rokkor-PG 58/1.2 and recently acquired a Minolta MC Rokkor-HG 35/2.8.

Since they're both MC lenses with the older coatings, I'm a bit concerned about flare (this has been problematic with the 58, and the 35 isn't in my possession yet), and was looking at lens hoods. I've pretty much given up on getting the original hoods, as the "common" 35/2.8 has a $25 hood, and the 58/1.2 hoods go for >$100.

Most of the aftermarket options seem to be of the screw-in metal variety (some with vents, some not), with prices ranging from $5-20 or so. Any recommendations that won't vignette with the 35, or should I just go with a no-name brand from Amazon? I'm not against having different hoods for each lens.

Edited on Feb 08, 2015 at 01:35 PM · View previous versions

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:32 PM
Cruzan80

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Minolta Hood Suggestions

The 58 hood is only about $15. Search D57KB (this is the one that attaches outside, instead of threaded). The 35 takes a D54KC (if it is the 52mm threaded version), if the 49mm threaded, KEH has one for cheap (screw-in). They should both be under $20 each, unless you are looking for mint boxed OEM stock. Trying to find the screw-in threaded hoods are when they get expensive, because people don't know the other options.

For what it is worth, I haven't had a ton of issues with my 58/1.2 flaring too badly.

The 58 will also take a D55NA or NC (the NA is technically for the 1.4).

http://minolta.eazypix.de/shades/lensshades.html

Feb 05, 2015 at 11:03 PM
lonleyppl

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Minolta Hood Suggestions

Thank you! I hadn't looked too fully, but guess I had just come across an extremely over-priced one at first, turning me off of looking for an OEM hood. I just ordered a hood for the 58 and will likely do the same when I pick the 35 up!

Feb 08, 2015 at 01:39 PM
Cruzan80

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Minolta Hood Suggestions

Yeah, that is the problem with things like Ebay. People will list things for extraordinary prices, hoping to get someone who HAS TO HAVE IT NOW. I always check the completed and sold listings to see what the pricing should run on a normal or lucky bid.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:43 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.