New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Lenses for new Fuji X-T1

Parkertinsley
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lenses for new Fuji X-T1

I just purchased a new Fujifilm X-T1 and need some lenses. I have roughly a $1000 budget but could go a little over if need be, and I prefer to buy lenses used. I was wondering what lenses fuji shooters recommend and why. Thanks in advance to all who reply!

Jan 30, 2015 at 08:18 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lenses for new Fuji X-T1

The biggest question you ask yourself is what focal length you prefer to shoot at, which you didn't identify in your post. All of the Fuji lenses are good to excellent so you can't really go wrong. Find out what focal length you shoot at, without that piece of information, it's silly for us to recommend a lens. We could all tell you how wonderful the 14 f/2.8 is but it'd be pointless if you're more of a portrait shooter or if we tell you to get the fantastic 56 f/1.2 but you like shooting wide landscapes.

My picks though would be the 18-55 and the 35 f/1.4 to start, then fill out the rest of the lineup based on your needs. Luckily there aren't that many lenses to choose from, so your decision should be relatively easy.

Jan 30, 2015 at 09:21 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lenses for new Fuji X-T1

My fav has been the 18mm. Other lenses I also like are the 35mm, 60mm, and 55-200mm.

Jan 30, 2015 at 09:26 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lenses for new Fuji X-T1

Question is way too general. "I have someplace to go and I need a car, what do people recommend?"

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:03 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lenses for new Fuji X-T1

galenapass wrote:
Question is way too general. "I have someplace to go and I need a car, what do people recommend?"

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:22 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lenses for new Fuji X-T1

Curious what made you choose to buy the XT-1, which is a fine camera of course, if you have no knowledge of Fuji's lenses system ?

Generally one buys a camera body after looking at the availible glass options, and determines if that mount has the focal lengths, at the speed, size and cost, one prefers, and if so, they buy a body to use that glass.

You seemingly went out and bought a $1300 high end Fuji camera body and are now hoping that Fuji has some glass that will meet your needs and budget ?

For that matter, what are your needs ?

You like used glass, and have $1000.....

So yeah.... should I tell you to go get a 56/1.2 which you can get for under $1000 and call it a day because its a great portrait lens ?

Or Should I tell you to get a 10-24/4 because its a great ultra wide zoom and I'm going to just randomly guess you actually are a landscape shooter ?

Or maybe you wanted to shoot wildlife and actually need a long zoom and portraits and wide angle landscapes would be totally incorrect advice...

Point being, budget is one useful bit of information, but you need to give us more to go on, what stuff do you shoot, do you care how big/heavy glass is, are you only interested in native AF glass or do you want to consider something like a speedbooster and some older MF options ?

Your post basically leaves us here with more questions than actual answers we can provide you.

Jan 31, 2015 at 01:07 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lenses for new Fuji X-T1

What focal lengths and apertures do you use?

Zooms or primes or both?

What do you shoot?

Answer these questions, then find the lenses that match. Fuji doesn't make a bum lens for the mount. The primes are all very sharp. The 18mm is the least strong optically-- mainly in the corners-- but actually fine, and a uniquely small, fast, moderate-wide photojournalistic tool.

Jan 31, 2015 at 03:25 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lenses for new Fuji X-T1

14, 23 & 56

The original 18/35/60 lenses are all very good but they're not as refined as far as the AF motors go. I find them jittery and annoying, although they're great optics.

Manual focusing is wonderful on this body. I've been using adapted voigtlander and zeiss rangefinder lenses as well and it's very nice

Jan 31, 2015 at 09:24 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.