New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2015 · Where's the EOS-M Leaks?

nads
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Where's the EOS-M Leaks?

I know everybody is excited for the 5D and 11-24 leaks... but where is my EOS-M news?

I'm not far from abandoning DSLR altogether with a decent EOS-M and just a couple more lenses.

Jan 30, 2015 at 05:56 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Where's the EOS-M Leaks?

I'm thinking that it'll come after the 750D; hopefully, it'll come with a 24MP (hopefully AA-less) DPAF-equipped Exmor, tuned for lower-ISOs.

And hopefully, the AF will be A6000+ speed with functional tracking capability, and the body will move to a G7 X-style control setup.

Also, I want that rumored EF-M 70-400

Jan 30, 2015 at 06:54 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Where's the EOS-M Leaks?

I'm surprised the new Rebel line with 20MP CMOS and W-Fi wasn't leaked. I wouldn't mind a SL1s.

Jan 30, 2015 at 07:13 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Where's the EOS-M Leaks?

nads wrote:
I know everybody is excited for the 5D and 11-24 leaks... but where is my EOS-M news?

I'm not far from abandoning DSLR altogether with a decent EOS-M and just a couple more lenses.

There are so many mirrorless systems out there...I wouldn't wait for Canon to slug one out. Fuji, Sony and Olympus have great systems available today.

Jan 30, 2015 at 08:50 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Where's the EOS-M Leaks?

I'm hoping Canon keeps supporting the M, it's a great little camera with some decent lenses and I love the ability to use my slr lenses on it. If they would just put the 7d2 sensor in it with it's dual pixel live view focusing and have a electronic viewfinder option, it would sell very well at the right price. Hopefully we'll get an update and one that they actually sell to N. America!

Jan 30, 2015 at 09:14 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Where's the EOS-M Leaks?

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/canon-eos-m3-to-be-announced-next-week-friday

Jan 30, 2015 at 09:27 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Where's the EOS-M Leaks?

chez wrote:
There are so many mirrorless systems out there...I wouldn't wait for Canon to slug one out. Fuji, Sony and Olympus have great systems available today.

Canon seems uniquely interested in keeping their mirrorless lineup inexpensive, compact and high-quality; try getting the equivalent of the 22/2 in another mount for ~US$200. The Sony's MSRP is five times that.

Jan 30, 2015 at 09:33 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Where's the EOS-M Leaks?

johnctharp wrote:
Canon seems uniquely interested in keeping their mirrorless lineup inexpensive, compact and high-quality; try getting the equivalent of the 22/2 in another mount for ~US$200. The Sony's MSRP is five times that.

Well yes but lets not forget that Canon initially released the EOS M kit at $800 which was outrageous. It was much later that the prices came down to current levels where it is indeed a great bargain.

I am holding on to my 22mm f2 in the hope that canon will eventually release a more responsive body with better AF (and hopefully somewhat improved sensor) while maintaining whats good about the EOS M.

Jan 30, 2015 at 09:57 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Where's the EOS-M Leaks?

johnctharp wrote:

Ummm...didn't the EOS-M come out at $800 and sold nothing...then Canon put it onto a fire sale just to clear out the dead ended inventory?

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:29 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Where's the EOS-M Leaks?

Yeah, it was a dog. The low prices were the clearance sale.

EBH

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:33 PM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Where's the EOS-M Leaks?

Ithe It didn't sell we'll in the US. It was the #2 selling mirrorless camera in Japan in 2013, with about the10% of the market.

I have owned 7 or 8 mirrorless cameras. I have a Sony A6000.

I would definitely buy a Canon EOS M withers a 7DII sensor if it had EVF at the right price. Mostly because I want good quality native lenses with fast autofocus.

The Canon 18-55 and 22 mm are great lenses for under $100 each. Even better, Canon EF and EF-S lenses focus almost as quickly on the EOS M via the $75 adapter as they do on DSLR bodies.

Sony E mount zoom lenses are either fairly crappy or way overpriced. I use the 16-50 for point and shoot stuff. The only other one I would be willing to pay for is the 70-200.

I am using my Canon 17-40, 24-70, 70-200 4.0 and 70-200 2.8 II on the A6000 when I need good glass. I would love to be able to use thise with good autofocus on the M, along with the EF-M lenses.

There is definitely an opportunity for a great M camera. Canon should have released an M with the 70D sensor 1.5 years ago. They would have bern ahead of the A6000.

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:38 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Where's the EOS-M Leaks?

It's all about the lenses, really; the current M's are just half-assed Rebels. The 11-22 is fricken' sharp.

Jan 31, 2015 at 01:23 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Where's the EOS-M Leaks?

johnctharp wrote:
It's all about the lenses, really; the current M's are just half-assed Rebels. The 11-22 is fricken' sharp.

Love that: "M's are half-arse Rebels"! I suppose the missing left cheek is the VF...

Jan 31, 2015 at 03:27 AM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Where's the EOS-M Leaks?

The lack of leaks could be indicative of the absolute lack of interest..... I predict another flop.

Until mirrorless bodies sport EVFs indistinguishable from OVFs, can do 12fps+, and have AF that can keep up with BIF/running athletes/200mph race cars, mirrorless will be nothing more than a niche format for landscape and some portrait shooters.

Too much camera for rank amateurs (the masses that make up 90% of the camera market) and too little for most pros.

Time will eventually change this and the mirror-equipped dSLR will go the way of film... but not yet... not for many years, IMHO.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:33 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Where's the EOS-M Leaks?

I like my EOSm so well that I am thinking of keeping it as my backup and selling the 5d3 when I upgrade to a 5DR.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:40 AM
nads
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Where's the EOS-M Leaks?

chez wrote:

I'm not losing out on life by not jumping to one of the other mirrorless systems that are further evolved. Every mirrorless system is a currently compromise and I find the EOS-M system to be the best compromise for me. Be it size, price or even accuracy of AF (tried multiple E-M10 and 17mm combos and none could nail focus on the eyes of my kids like the EOS-M does in face detect mode), all fall short somewhere.

The biggest issues with the EOS-M (AF speed and overall processing speed) just happen to be areas where the company has a proven track record of market leadership in other formats.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:46 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Where's the EOS-M Leaks?

pKai wrote:
Time will eventually change this and the mirror-equipped dSLR will go the way of film... but not yet... not for many years, IMHO.

Why do you say this? Mirrorless has come a very long way in the last 5 years. The next 5 years will be amazing as long as the likes of Sony keep pushing the limits. They already have mirrorless cameras that have great AF, great low light abilities and even great viewfinders. Give them another few years and we'll see a camera just as capable as today's behemoth DSLR's.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:53 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Where's the EOS-M Leaks?

johnctharp wrote:

Canon's mirrorless approach wasn't bad especially regarding the price - just that they didn't make it to FF yet.

Canon would have a big winner if they released a new EOS-M camera with the novel 50MP FF sensor in parallel to the new rumored 5D series.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:01 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Where's the EOS-M Leaks?

johnctharp wrote:
...hopefully, the AF will be A6000+ speed with functional tracking capability...

I was very surprised recently when a friend who is a very fine landscape photographer and sometimes wildlife photographer (the latter is how he started out) showed up to photograph migratory birds carrying only a A6000 with some big Sony zoom.

I haven't seen what he came up with yet.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:29 AM
nads
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Where's the EOS-M Leaks?

retrofocus wrote:
[
Canon's mirrorless approach wasn't bad especially regarding the price - just that they didn't make it to FF yet.

Canon would have a big winner if they released a new EOS-M camera with the novel 50MP FF sensor in parallel to the new rumored 5D series.

I'm not sure that would amount to a winner.

Winner of what? Great camera in a really specific niche?

Canon's only reason to push further into the mirrorless market is that we are getting to the point where reviews and recommendations are going to start pushing entry level business away from the entry level DSLR. Canon has no reason to make a move until a market shift is affecting the business in a meaningful way.

Dropping a 50MP FF mirrorless would cut into 5D sales, require significant investment in manufacturing the body as well as a host of optics... for what? They aren't losing meaningful market share to competitors making such a product.

I think we are at the point where the market shift is happening at the crop sensor and consumer / semi-pro end. We're seeing it in online and published review sentiment. We are also seeing the market shift in aggregated data of sites like flickr. I don't think we're anywhere near the point of a market shift to mirrorless for FF users.

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:32 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.