Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
       12              30       31       end

Archive 2015 · Canon 5DS 50MP full frame DSLR specs leaked!

sirimiri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · Canon 5DS 50MP full frame DSLR specs leaked!

shirozina wrote:
What reasons are behind the avoidance of the Metabones adapter?

1. It's a *serious* bit of coin.
2. You need to have an Allen wrench at hand, if you ever want to remove the tripod mount. Other manufacturers simply provide a knurled, threaded connector.
3. After having bought and returned one Metabones adapter, and having read about others' experiences with them, I would rather not use an adapter that requires such effort to mount or dismount lenses. You can tell me that the lens mounts aren't harmed, etc. But when I see the chrome plating diminish and then flange brass after only a few times, I get nervous.

Don't get me wrong, those behind Metabones also did the conversion work on my Contax 645 NAM-1, and did an excellent job. But I think there are further refinements to be realized, for their existing EF to FE adapter and I will wait to see what happens.

Jan 31, 2015 at 05:55 AM
KiboOst
• • •
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · Canon 5DS 50MP full frame DSLR specs leaked!

Anyway, am I the only one thinking strange that a new body is exactly the same as the old 5D Mark III ? Canon has never revamped an old body, I was even surprised to see so much difference in exterior body design between 7D and 7DII. The 5Ds photo seems identical to a 5DMarkIII with a photoshoped logo, isn't it ? Exact same design, buttons, etc ...

Also, one thing I love on A7R is the HDMI live-view direct output to fullHD screen. In studio, connecting a monitor to it is a real plus for precision work.

Jan 31, 2015 at 06:00 AM
ClausC
• •
p.11 #3 · p.11 #3 · Canon 5DS 50MP full frame DSLR specs leaked!

I don't think you should trust the pictures, they are probably just photoshopped to add some zest to the rumnours.

Claus

Jan 31, 2015 at 07:04 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.11 #4 · p.11 #4 · Canon 5DS 50MP full frame DSLR specs leaked!

jcolwell wrote:
Don't be snitchin on your stitchin.

bitchin' ;-)

takowasa wrote:
However, as I said, if this comes at the expense of frame rate and high ISO noise, there may be many more photographers that are upset by Canon's choice (or the industry's choice, as the case may be) to increase the pixel count rather than increase the frame rate and high ISO noise, if both options are not produced.

I think your frame of reference might be a bit too narrow.

Since Canon and others began producing high quality DSLR cameras, they have always offered a choice between the poles you described. It was easiest to see in the older versions of the 1-Series DSLR bodies where the "D" model optimized speed over sensor resolution and the "Ds" model emphasized sensor resolution over speed. You can even see something similar at other levels of the Canon product line, though it isn't quite so clearly delineated by model identification. For example, a person who wants a less expensive camera focused on speed of operation can opt for a 7D/7DII, while a person looking for the image quality potential of a high MP full frame sensor can choose between a 6D and a 5DIII, with the latter pushing a bit more toward the speedier models.

In the current case, it seems pretty clear that this rumored camera is designed (as were previous cameras in its category) mainly to appeal to those who have a desire for high photo site density rather than operational speed. (Though, frankly, it is likely to work quite fast enough for the vast majority of users.) For those who need more speed, Canon still makes a 1Dx and a 7DII, and there is a rumor that the 5DIV will perhaps focus less on MP and more on speed and higher ISOs.

In the end, Canon makes cameras that work well for almost everyone who wants a quality DSLR, but no individual camera is going to be able to satisfy everyone.

sirimiri wrote:
A lot of building management for existing development, and new development are turning to these intense LEDs which are pretty much mandated by energy code nowadays and the contrast range is "different" than it used to be. Of course, so is the CRI

As a person who is concerned about energy production and consumption issues, I'm glad to see the move to far more efficient outdoor lighting. We've been moving to LEDs in my home, and I like them a lot.

However... as a night photographer I'm not so happy about the visual result. For me, one of the attractions of urban night photography has always been the wildly colorful effects of all the different kinds of lighting: gaudy red/yellow from sodium vapor, warm light from tungsten, blue/green from fluorescent, "pure" from the full moon, and more. There is a place in the Bay Area where I regularly do night photography and have done so for over a decade. A few years back I went there and found that they are installing efficient LED lighting... which makes night shots look pretty much like daytime shots in terms of color balance!

Dan

Edited on Jan 31, 2015 at 11:16 AM · View previous versions

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:13 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #5 · p.11 #5 · Canon 5DS 50MP full frame DSLR specs leaked!

I just hope the sensor isn't a Canon design... those would be awfully large files to have to bracket and blend two or three shots just to get the same DR as the current Nikons and Pentax 645Z offer.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:23 AM
bhollis
• •
p.11 #6 · p.11 #6 · Canon 5DS 50MP full frame DSLR specs leaked!

KiboOst wrote:
Anyway, am I the only one thinking strange that a new body is exactly the same as the old 5D Mark III ? Canon has never revamped an old body, I was even surprised to see so much difference in exterior body design between 7D and 7DII. The 5Ds photo seems identical to a 5DMarkIII with a photoshoped logo, isn't it ? Exact same design, buttons, etc ...

Seems so, except for this--whatever it is--on the left side of the camera between the lens release button and the plastic port cover. Maybe they added a ridge to improve grip? Or maybe just sloppy photoshopping?

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:32 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.11 #7 · p.11 #7 · Canon 5DS 50MP full frame DSLR specs leaked!

I strongly doubt we are going to find Canon has collaborated with Sony or any other sensor manufacturer. I'm not against it, just seems terribly unlikely, based on their past industry leadership and independence.

I have managed my expectations to hope for up to 1 EV of extra DR, and small improvement of noise at all ISO (especially regards lifting shadow areas).

Personally, having used the D800e for a bit now, I don't really find I am using any different LR settings to bring out more DR. When I do, the images looks flat. I'm sure there would be times I'd want the extended DR, particularly to salvage a miscalculated exposure, but Canon's existing range is a lower priority to me -- I can continue to get by with the occasional exposure blending when needed. (I doubt I could eliminate this completely even with the wider Sony latitude -- thinking of night building interiors balanced against the dark exteriors.)

No free lunch here. . . move along!

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:36 AM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.11 #8 · p.11 #8 · Canon 5DS 50MP full frame DSLR specs leaked!

I was thinking the other day about what Canon should call their next 5 series camera, and "5DS" came to mind as the most appropriate, before Fred even posted this thread. The whole "mark" numbering thing was getting unwieldy.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:46 AM
Jim Servies
• • •
p.11 #9 · p.11 #9 · Canon 5DS 50MP full frame DSLR specs leaked!

gdanmitchell wrote:
50MP on full frame is not the same as 50MP on MF, though it has the potential to be very good.

The potential system resolution of a camera/lens system with a larger sensor is higher. (A lens with a particular level of resolving power will resolve a greater number of line pairs over the larger width of the larger sensor.) There are potential advantages of having larger photo sites. There are differences in how lenses function on the different size systems, particularly regarding DOF.

If MF is "better" in this regard, why doesn't everyone use it? Cost is obviously a serious issue,
...Show more

That was exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you for such a helpful answer!

Bulk and weight was something I really didn't consider either. Although I'm not sure hiking with a Pentax versus my 1Dx / Lenses would be much different? The lighter weight of a 5Dxx would be nice.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:02 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.11 #10 · p.11 #10 · Canon 5DS 50MP full frame DSLR specs leaked!

Gunzorro wrote:
I strongly doubt we are going to find Canon has collaborated with Sony or any other sensor manufacturer. I'm not against it, just seems terribly unlikely, based on their past industry leadership and independence.

I have managed my expectations to hope for up to 1 EV of extra DR, and small improvement of noise at all ISO (especially regards lifting shadow areas).

Personally, having used the D800e for a bit now, I don't really find I am using any different LR settings to bring out more DR. When I do, the images looks flat. I'm sure there would be times I'd
...Show more

Applying global shadow adjustments will cause flat-looking images depending on the content and image processor used. For LR/ACR, try increasing the global exposure instead and then using the highlight slider to pull back in the highlights increased by the global exposure adjustment. You can also explore local exposure adjustments.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:16 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.11 #11 · p.11 #11 · Canon 5DS 50MP full frame DSLR specs leaked!

Jim Servies wrote:
That was exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you for such a helpful answer!

Bulk and weight was something I really didn't consider either. Although I'm not sure hiking with a Pentax versus my 1Dx / Lenses would be much different? The lighter weight of a 5Dxx would be nice.

Glad that helped.

Most folks I know who do back-country photography (and I do such photography) don't use 1-series bodies. Most use a 5DII/5DIII, D800/D810, or A7R. There is no image quality advantage from the larger and heavier FF bodies for this kind of work, and no one wants to add unnecessarily to the existing burden of lenses, tripod, and batteries.

I do know some folks who shoot film and digital MF in the backcountry, and the weight/bulk is the price they pay. They tend to use pack train support for getting all of the gear to their locations. (I know two who hike and shoot MF BW film. A couple years back I encountered them on the trail in the Sierra as we shot in the same area for a few days. My photography load was perhaps a bit less than 15 pounds. Each of them carried 38 pounds of camera gear! Yikes!)

Dan

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:20 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.11 #12 · p.11 #12 · Canon 5DS 50MP full frame DSLR specs leaked!

snapsy wrote:
Applying global shadow adjustments will cause flat-looking images depending on the content and image processor used. For LR/ACR, try increasing the global exposure instead and then using the highlight slider to pull back in the highlights increased by the global exposure adjustment. You can also explore local exposure adjustments.

Exactly, localize your adjustments.

The beauty of having images with more dynamic range, you can choose to use it or not, depending on the image. If your image just does not have the dynamic range from the get go...you are SOL if you want to extract more range.

It's better to have and not always use than not have and sometimes need.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:24 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.11 #13 · p.11 #13 · Canon 5DS 50MP full frame DSLR specs leaked!

Focus Locus wrote:
I was thinking the other day about what Canon should call their next 5 series camera, and "5DS" came to mind as the most appropriate, before Fred even posted this thread. The whole "mark" numbering thing was getting unwieldy.

Wouldn't that eventually lead us to 5DS II, III, IV regardless? The Rebel line had XT, XTi, XSi. Not sure what is more unweidly...

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:31 AM
Jim Servies
• • •
p.11 #14 · p.11 #14 · Canon 5DS 50MP full frame DSLR specs leaked!

rscheffler wrote:
I'd hope there's at least two!

There will still be a difference, but it will be relatively subtle. Maybe to get an idea, consider the differences between 24MP APS-C and FF. It would be much more significant if most MF sensors were actually true MF in terms of the old film formats. Most are approximately double the size of 24x36mm FF in one direction... i.e. the Sony 50MP in the 645Z and new Hassy back is 33x44mm. Still, it's a fair amount more real estate that will give you bigger pixels and get you closer to the 'MF look' of greater
...Show more

Thank you for the great information Ron. So glad I asked the question as I'm learning a lot. Appreciate your feedback!

So with the 645 systems are people using older Pentax lenses because that is all that's available or has Pentax brought newer lens designs to market? Is it safe to say those shooting the Pentax are using Pentax lenses exclusively or do they also use Alt lenses? To keep the conversation relevant to the OP, I'm just curious since there's so many great lens offerings from Canon. And, if the differences are not substantial I would think many would stay / choose Canon for costs, weight, etc. as you mentioned.

From what I have seen on the MF threads there are certain instances where I can tell MF delivers in a big way in terms of detail, DR, etc. and others not so much. Now, that could partially be due to post-processing, photographer experience or a number of other reasons. Bottom line, I'm sure it will depend on the type of client and their needs as to the system one chooses.

Thanks again!

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:39 AM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.11 #15 · p.11 #15 · Canon 5DS 50MP full frame DSLR specs leaked!

Whelp, it's all about what base ISO does for DR and color accuracy at this point. I'm hoping it's clear from the announcement that we should expect Exmor quality. If so, I'm going to preorder assuming the body is less than $3800. If not, then I'll wait to see what things look like.

I love the portability of the A7R. But the A7rII is probably close to 600g. And then I won't need metabones which saves weight. Plus I'm sure the 61 point AF is the 1Dx AF which would be fantastic. If the crop modes have higher fps, I would have one body for all.

I'm guessing April availability.

Chris

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:53 AM
Jim Servies
• • •
p.11 #16 · p.11 #16 · Canon 5DS 50MP full frame DSLR specs leaked!

gdanmitchell wrote:
Glad that helped.

Most folks I know who do back-country photography (and I do such photography) don't use 1-series bodies. Most use a 5DII/5DIII, D800/D810, or A7R. There is no image quality advantage from the larger and heavier FF bodies for this kind of work, and no one wants to add unnecessarily to the existing burden of lenses, tripod, and batteries.

I do know some folks who shoot film and digital MF in the backcountry, and the weight/bulk is the price they pay. They tend to use pack train support for getting all of the gear to their locations. (I know
...Show more

38lbs... double Yikes! I lugged a 1Dx and a few lenses, accessoires to Haiti a few times in a Kata backpack (awesome backpack) while walking numerous miles in the heat. Not the best choice on my end. You would think after the first trip I would have learned but three additional trips later that year I was carrying the same set up. Obviously, I'm not that bright. At the time I just didn't have it in the budget for a lighter second camera.

With two small kids running around, some sport shooting and a love for landscape work I decided on the 1Dx. I don't regret the purchase decision at all and still may keep it depending on budget. However, with my ever increasing desire to shoot landscapes / cityscapes, etc. the new Canon seems perfect for my type of shooting. I'll probably sell the 1Dx and purchase a 7DII to chase the kids around, sports and pick up a a new 5DsR for landscapes, commercial work, etc. At least that's the plan with the limited information we have.

Thanks again Dan!

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:02 PM
StarNut
• • • •
p.11 #17 · p.11 #17 · Canon 5DS 50MP full frame DSLR specs leaked!

jcolwell wrote:
Many people who want "more pixels" don't actually sell photos. Does that mean that they shouldn't have more pixels?

I want more MP because I can actually use them for photos that I can sell. Is that OK?

IOW, if you don't want more MP, that's fine. "Want", "need", "can have", can't have"; what does it matter? If you don't want it, don't buy it.

As I've said several times on this poor, tortured thread, I really am glad that Canon is giving those folks who want more pixels what they want.

And I'm really hoping that the rumors of a better 20+mp camera are correct, since I most certainly do not want more pixels. The price of more pixels--much higher price to get equal IQ, DR, frame rate and high ISO usability, or worse IQ, DR, frame rate and/or high ISO usability--is not at all attractive to me. I have never felt the need or desire for more pixels, but I regularly feel the need for more DR, higher frame rate, and better high ISO ability.

Mark

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:16 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.11 #18 · p.11 #18 · Canon 5DS 50MP full frame DSLR specs leaked!

I read some serious obtuse comments, but the 5D3 isn't a successor to the 5d2 is up there on the "did you eat lead paint for fun?" My god, the 5D3 is definitely a successor.

I do not agree that you're going to get the same results underexposing a photo in camera, and pushing it in post, than you would by just using the higher expanded iso in camera.

The normal range of 100-6400 isn't alarming- it probably expands to 25600 (h1 and h2, or some variants with like 6400, 8000, 10000, etc).

Seems pretty cool- probably not for me (I don't know if I want a step backwards in fps) but still pretty cool. Hopefully it works out the way you guys want and you're able to make some really nice images.

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:45 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.11 #19 · p.11 #19 · Canon 5DS 50MP full frame DSLR specs leaked!

snapsy wrote:

What I've been finding doing some A-B comparing and general shooting, dealing mostly "straight outta the can" RAW with the same sharpening applied (70, 0.7, 35) to Canon 1Ds3 and D800e, without CA or lens profile or other exposure/contrast corrections. I find the Nikon images flatter at low to moderate ISO (100-800), needing added clarity (+10) and boosting of white (+10) and blacks (-5) to get close to the Canon output. Occasionally, I'll boost Highlights a little, where shooting style for Canon is to overexpose, then pull down highlights a little). Not a lot of adjustment to make them similar or the way I like, but noticeable. When raising shadows, even higher levels of contrast enhancement are needed, sometimes jockeying global contrast a few clicks.

On the positive side: the 36MP sensor has very satisfying tonal transitions for almost all colors. Blue sky is quite a bit better -- previously a terrible noisy color/tone for Nikon to deal with.

Edited on Jan 31, 2015 at 01:02 PM · View previous versions

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:47 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.11 #20 · p.11 #20 · Canon 5DS 50MP full frame DSLR specs leaked!

Gunzorro wrote:
What I've been finding doing some A-B comparing and general shooting, dealing mostly "straight outta the can" RAW with the same sharpening applied (70, 0.7, 35) to Canon 1Ds3 and D800e, without CA or lens profile or other exposure/contrast corrections. I find the Nikon images flatter at low to moderate ISO (100-800), needing added clarity and boosting of white and blacks to get close to the Canon output. Not a lot, but noticeable. When raising shadows, even higher levels of contrast enhancement are needed, sometimes jockeying global contrast a few clicks.

On the positive side: the 36MP sensor has very satisfying
...Show more

That's likely just a default raw processing difference built into the camera profiles. At the bayer level all images are flat in raw space, and also very dark (the tones are compressed). Converting to viewable JPEG (or preview in ACR/LR) involves applying a default tone curve, which again varies based on camera.

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:56 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.