New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2015 · I'm considering a 5D Classic..here's Why

lukeiam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I'm considering a 5D Classic..here's Why

My first camera was a Lumix L1 where I adapted old Konica lenses to the 4/3 mount. I took photos all the time -- loved it and they were pretty good -- and was blissfully unaware of the various technological enhancements going on in the camera world. I had internet access, of course, but I just didn't care...

Fast-forward 5-6 years later and I spend more time futzing with gear, researching, than taking photos! I'm astounded by it; I feel like I'm in a creative lock-step. Mind you, this sort of started a year or so ago when I dove into the mirrorless world. I had the OMD, then grabbed a Fuji, now I'm in Sony land (and I've probably rounded the 3 twice now)..They're all terrific cameras, but they just didn't inspire (the Fuji the most, for sure). Poking around on the forum I know I'm far from the only person who's cycled through models.

I read an interesting article recently about the Ricoh GR and the X100s. In it, the writer talked about how the aesthetic appeal of the Ricoh inspired him more to shoot more, despite knowing the on-paper specs of the Fuji were superior. Years ago I would have dismissed this as vanity, but now as I pick up my A6000 and can't help but to think "this feels like consumer electronics garbage" I think I understand. I mean, I get that the Sony has a terrific sensor with awesome DR/IQ, but I just don't like using it.

So, lately I've been thinking: why not just go backwards like I did with the L1 (it was 6-7 years old at the time and was more a niche camera, if anything)? My skills aren't superior to a, say, 5Dc, and I know better cameras don't really make you a better photographer (unless you've hit the threshold of the camera's abilities). What I loved most about the L1 was its awesome build quality, it was great to touch, pick up...a pleasure to use. But now I've developed more a flavor for cameras so it might be tough. Eg, a 4/3s sensor wouldn't do it for me as I like more DoF control, though I don't shoot at high ISO. Again, things the 5Dc are good at..

I'm rambling about this here because I wonder if anyone can relate. And to ask whether I'm making any flippin' sense. I think my logic now is to start earlier and work forward...use that 2006 camera that should have all I need for what I do (portraits, street shots, candids) and when/if I grow beyond it, I can look for more. But trying to keep up and match myself to all the "modern" bodies has left me vanquished and uninterested in the photographic process...Hrmph! Thanks for reading.

Jan 29, 2015 at 03:51 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I'm considering a 5D Classic..here's Why

Any time is a good time to buy a 5D (or a 6D).

Jan 29, 2015 at 03:53 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I'm considering a 5D Classic..here's Why

jcolwell wrote:
Any time is a good time to buy a 5D (or a 6D).

I concur with Jim 110%. I loved my 5D. Wonderful landscape body and my butterfly pics were exceptionaly sharp and clean. Fine body..get it!
Dan

Jan 29, 2015 at 03:57 PM
lukeiam
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I'm considering a 5D Classic..here's Why

Thanks!

I had a 5D2 once..Loved the output, colors were nice. Barring the 10 MP+ upgrade, how does the 5D compare with IQ and DR?

Jan 29, 2015 at 04:01 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I'm considering a 5D Classic..here's Why

Why not get a 5D? If you don't need the latest and greatest....

Don't get me wrong, there are huge advances in the user interface- including the LCD display on the back of the camera, as time marches on in Canon-land.

But, at low ISO and a good exposure, there seems to be little practical or quantifiable difference in image output across similar models.

I have a 1D from 2001 and it can produce very good 4.2mp images- I have printed some at 13x19 without issue. If you want to blow up the upper 1/4 of the image to fit a billboard, probably not the best choice of camera at 4.2mp.

Find a cared for example and have fun.

Jan 29, 2015 at 04:15 PM
lukeiam
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I'm considering a 5D Classic..here's Why

Great, thanks for the advice. My only concern with the 5D I'm seeing is the reported mirror issues. Seems they're commonplace. As I understand it, it's a recall issue so would Canon still fix it I wonder?

Jan 29, 2015 at 04:28 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I'm considering a 5D Classic..here's Why

There have been recent postings here that state that Canon is still performing the mirror fix, free of charge. Don't take my word for it, though.

The 5D also lacks a "self cleaning" sensor.

Jan 29, 2015 at 04:36 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I'm considering a 5D Classic..here's Why

I'm enjoying my 1st 1D, a 1DMk2N, and really like the look of 'bigger' pixels and have debated getting a 5D because it's FF sensor has the same size pixels as the 1DMk2N; 1.3x 8MP sensor vs the FF 12MP sensor and at about $500 if you don't need liveview, sensor dust cleaning and the other goodies...why not grab a 5D while the still work.

Just verify what version of windows or mac is required for it's software...my 1DMk2N requires XP

Jan 29, 2015 at 04:43 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I'm considering a 5D Classic..here's Why

You're preaching to the choir here - lots of 5D admirers on this forum, myself included. I still shoot a pair of 5Ds that are my car trunk cameras with me at all times, one with the 24-105 and the other 70-200 f/4 non-IS.

Jan 29, 2015 at 04:48 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I'm considering a 5D Classic..here's Why

Yeah, the software can be an issue if you use the camera tethered or want to change custom functions. If the 5D uses a USB, you *should* be ok. My 1D requires FireWire, which won't work on anything but XP or equally vintage Apple (pretty sure, not an Apple person)- and it requires the original software disc... and adapter cabes don't work either.

Obviously, you can take the card out and read it in a card reader. I think the 1D is the only Canon digital camera that has a funky raw file structure (.TIF <not even really a proper TIFF file> vs .CR2).

Edited on Jan 29, 2015 at 05:23 PM · View previous versions

Jan 29, 2015 at 04:51 PM
lukeiam
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I'm considering a 5D Classic..here's Why

Great, lots of feedback!

Yeah, I only use a card reader (no tether) so I can't imagine I'd have any trouble with sticking a CF card into my iMac with Lightroom 5 for RAW use?

Jan 29, 2015 at 04:52 PM
lukeiam
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I'm considering a 5D Classic..here's Why

Also, my favored Canon lenses are the 40 f2.8, 50 1.4, and 100 f2. No issues with any of these on the 5D? Thanks!

Jan 29, 2015 at 05:06 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I'm considering a 5D Classic..here's Why

I would get a Canon refurbished 6D instead of the 5D v1

6D has better focus self cleaning sensor, better resolution, wifi, GPS, flash control in the camera menu, etc. etc.

Jan 29, 2015 at 05:09 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I'm considering a 5D Classic..here's Why

danski0224 wrote:
Why not get a 5D? If you don't need the latest and greatest....

Don't get me wrong, there are huge advances in the user interface- including the LCD display on the back of the camera, as time marches on in Canon-land.

But, at low ISO and a good exposure, there seems to be little practical or quantifiable difference in image output across similar models.

I have a 1D from 2001 and it can produce very good 4.2mp images- I have printed some at 13x19 without issue. If you want to blow up the upper 1/4 of the image to fit a billboard, probably
...Show more

^^^^^ correct!!! I sold my 1DsMK2 years ago...Worse decision I ever made..well 1 of many....anyway..I bought another slightly used and still have it and it is special.. The 5D is the same.
Dan

Jan 29, 2015 at 05:18 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I'm considering a 5D Classic..here's Why

Isn't the 6D, even refurb, 3x the cost of a 5D?

As far as lenses go, you should be able to mount any Canon EF lens (1987 to present) onto the 5D without issue. Possible exceptions would be in the new/refreshed supertelephoto line.

Of course, you can use adapters and stick other stuff onto the 5D too

Jan 29, 2015 at 05:22 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I'm considering a 5D Classic..here's Why

Danpbphoto wrote:
^^^^^ correct!!! I sold my 1DsMK2 years ago...Worse decision I ever made..well 1 of many....anyway..I bought another slightly used and still have it and it is special.. The 5D is the same.
Dan

I may keep an eye out for one of those myself and enjoy it until it conks out.

The prices should drop some more once the latest and greatest come out

Jan 29, 2015 at 05:32 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I'm considering a 5D Classic..here's Why

... Buy it ... Shoot it ... Love it ...

Jefferson ...

Jan 29, 2015 at 05:41 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I'm considering a 5D Classic..here's Why

I think that your mistake may be in looking for "inspiration" in cameras, whether OMD, Fuji, Canon, Sony, Ricoh or now an old digital camera.

Pick one. Stick to it and mostly forget about gear. Convert that focus into one on making photographs. Promise yourself you won't even think about a new camera for at least a year.

I had a 5D. It was a fine camera in its day. But it is also no miracle cure.

Dan

crashwins wrote:
My first camera was a Lumix L1 where I adapted old Konica lenses to the 4/3 mount. I took photos all the time -- loved it and they were pretty good -- and was blissfully unaware of the various technological enhancements going on in the camera world. I had internet access, of course, but I just didn't care...

Fast-forward 5-6 years later and I spend more time futzing with gear, researching, than taking photos! I'm astounded by it; I feel like I'm in a creative lock-step. Mind you, this sort of started a year or so ago when I dove into
...Show more

Jan 29, 2015 at 05:51 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I'm considering a 5D Classic..here's Why

If the 5D is a first move into "full frame", it could provide inspiration- or at least a different view.

For the cost of entry, assuming the OP has the mentioned lenses, why not?

Jan 29, 2015 at 06:10 PM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I'm considering a 5D Classic..here's Why

5D is dust magnet. No anti-dust features seen in 5D2 and 5D3. Recommend
6D for low light photography of stationary subjects.

Adorama has sale for $1449 including printer and 6D.

Jan 29, 2015 at 06:14 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.