New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Opinions?t: IQ of Projected 5D Mark IV line

johnvanr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Opinions?t: IQ of Projected 5D Mark IV line

I find it funny how people are already worried about the new sensor in the rumored Canon. I'm more worried about the kind of camera Sony will put around its rumored 50-something-mp sensor. My bet is that Canon will get more right as a package than Sony will.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:27 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Opinions?t: IQ of Projected 5D Mark IV line

By the way, it completely escaped my notice that that OP referred to a "Mark IV" line. To be clear, the 50MP camera about which rumors took off this week is not called a "Mark IV" by anyone. There are some rumors that a "5DIV" might also be introduced after the 50MP camera comes out, and the (largely unsubstantiated and very preliminary) rumors about that later "IV" version suggest that it might have a lower MP sensor, higher ISO settings, and faster operation.

But we're heading deep into speculation here. The main point: the 50MP camera is NOT a 5DIV.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:45 AM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Opinions?t: IQ of Projected 5D Mark IV line

NCAndy wrote:
9000 x 6000 would be 54mp in a 3x2 format so something a little less than that.

thank you! that's not too absurd - could be cool in studio settings. prob ~100mb RAW files.

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:40 PM
Alistair1
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Opinions?t: IQ of Projected 5D Mark IV line

nonverbal wrote:
What is your opinion?

Based on projected technical spec reports of what will be essentially the coming 5D Mark IV line, and assuming I shoot RAW and print about 16 X 20…can I expect any significant IQ change?

If it is a Sony sensor you are going to see at least two more stops of DR at low ISO (below 1000). Above that no difference in DR.

Your wide angle lenses, especially zooms are going to struggle and you probably will not see a big jump in resolution using those.

If you have great primes like Zeiss Otus 50mm, 85mm or 135mm APO Sonnar you will probably be amazed.

Other primes and good longer zooms will be somewhere between "meh" and "wow" depending upon lens quality.

That is my experience anyway based on Nex7 (same approx pixel density) and D800e (lower pixel density but still stresses wide angle lenses at the edges/corners).

Anyways, time will tell!

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:51 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Opinions?t: IQ of Projected 5D Mark IV line

I'm hoping the 200-400/4 will hold up well enough to 50MP even with the 1.4x.
I think most of the big teles will be fine.

EBH

Feb 01, 2015 at 12:04 AM
markd61
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Opinions?t: IQ of Projected 5D Mark IV line

I am betting that the camera will have specs and display improvements in the lab but 8x10 prints will be no better than today's camera. In all likelihood large prints of random subjects from both cameras would find most of us unable to choose which camera made which image.

If you live in the world of 1600% magnification then you will probably see a difference but then you should also get a life.

Feb 01, 2015 at 12:53 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Opinions?t: IQ of Projected 5D Mark IV line

At 8x10 you know a Rebel is sufficient with a decent lens. However, I doubt that people are buying this body to print 8x10s.

EBH

Feb 01, 2015 at 12:59 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.