FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Stranded In A Winter Wonderland

Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stranded In A Winter Wonderland

It has been 2 months since I've taken a photo. Finally yesterday I couldn't take it any more and decided to go for a drive since there was some great hoar frost on the frees. I decided to take a drive out to this old car and stop by a favourite OLD HOUSE of mine on the way. Well, I was shocked to see the house is GONE. No trace of it. This was rather heartbreaking as I still had photo ideas I wanted to achieve with it. I photographed it last fall and my guess is shortly after they must have taken it down or it burned. Which is too bad. Anyway, I headed on to my car and was hoping it would still be here. Thank goodness it is! I have photographed this car numerous times under many conditions but hoar frost is not one of them. The light was pretty incredible too with the dark fast moving clouds in the back. Unfortunately it was very windy and so it made it difficult to shoot. I had to sacrifice some DOF to achieve usable shutters speeds. Mulit image panorama shot in portrait with Lee 0.6 GND.

Click photo to view on black or click here for a larger view

Thanks for looking!

Edited on Jan 29, 2015 at 12:52 AM · View previous versions

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:20 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stranded In A Winter Wonderland

Love the old cars you find Scott! Liking the cold feeling of this one. Might make a cool shot with the snow and a warm sunset

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:23 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stranded In A Winter Wonderland

I like the bright snow with the moody clouds.

David

Jan 29, 2015 at 08:16 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stranded In A Winter Wonderland

Klaus Priebe wrote:
Love the old cars you find Scott! Liking the cold feeling of this one. Might make a cool shot with the snow and a warm sunset

Klaus states most of my sentiment Scott! I love the image as it is! Just a pure pleasure to view. Contains all the prereqs for a winner. Moody, rustic,dramatic..environment compliments the subject, positioned in frame exceptionally well..just outstanding my friend!!
Dan

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:24 AM
JR Photo
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stranded In A Winter Wonderland

Good one glade you got out. sorry about buildings disappearing. I lot a old stone school and church. They looked medieval. Now very flat farm ground. That is what is happening.

I love your work! J. R.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:36 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Stranded In A Winter Wonderland

That is a car with a charm. Really liking how you worked on this.
Harsha

Jan 29, 2015 at 01:32 PM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Stranded In A Winter Wonderland

Neat image Scott. The conditions set it off beautifully.

Phil

Jan 29, 2015 at 01:40 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Stranded In A Winter Wonderland

Hey Scott,

That is a cool looking scene, the soft clouds add a nice touch too.

So did you get a new camera or is this with the old one?

Jim

Jan 29, 2015 at 01:57 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Stranded In A Winter Wonderland

Very nice wintery scene Scott. I always stop to explore the old cars.

I know the feeling you had when the house was gone. There have been several places I've visited here over the years, or in Colorado when I lived there, that are just gone. Or, like a favorite old Mormon barn I used to really like, the rancher decided to put a shiny new aluminum Quonset hut type barn right in front of it.

Jan 29, 2015 at 08:50 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Stranded In A Winter Wonderland

Thank you all very much!

JimFox wrote:
Hey Scott,

That is a cool looking scene, the soft clouds add a nice touch too.

So did you get a new camera or is this with the old one?

Jim

Thank you Jim. Nope, still old crappy gear. Getting a few things in order at my end so hopefully not much longer til new gear!
---------------------------------------------

ckcarr wrote:
Very nice wintery scene Scott. I always stop to explore the old cars.

I know the feeling you had when the house was gone. There have been several places I've visited here over the years, or in Colorado when I lived there, that are just gone. Or, like a favorite old Mormon barn I used to really like, the rancher decided to put a shiny new aluminum Quonset hut type barn right in front of it.

Thanks Craig. What was that farmer thinking? I see this scenario a lot. An amazing barn, house or something but the view or photo opp is ruined due to something modern in its way.

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:01 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Stranded In A Winter Wonderland

Nice media to include here Scott and I like the warmth brought in by the yellow 'eye' of the patina monster

Take care
Karl

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:50 PM
chakoo
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Stranded In A Winter Wonderland

Really nice. Subdued colors goes well with the overall image.
When you approach a shot like this, do you shoot with the final aspect ratio in mind? I think this is 2:1 aspect ratio. Also do you use any panorama heads or normal ballhead? How do you deal with parallax error?

Sorry for so many questions. Panoramas really impress me, thinking of adding pano head to my kit.

Jan 30, 2015 at 04:20 PM
bktools
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Stranded In A Winter Wonderland

Good one, Scott!

Bob

Jan 30, 2015 at 04:47 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Stranded In A Winter Wonderland

Great shot Scott. I think I might like to see this in a high contrast B+W as well.

Jan 30, 2015 at 05:08 PM
naturesmoments
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Stranded In A Winter Wonderland

Outstanding shot Scott!!

Jan 30, 2015 at 05:51 PM
triggermike
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Stranded In A Winter Wonderland

Another great piece Scott!
I wish I had all those rusty cars you find!!!
Mike

Jan 30, 2015 at 07:45 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Stranded In A Winter Wonderland

Scott - really like your series of this car! Nice work!

John

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:21 PM
Ton Hung
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Stranded In A Winter Wonderland

very nice colors

Jan 31, 2015 at 02:46 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Stranded In A Winter Wonderland

Thank you all very much!

I am working to get permission to go on a property that has some old gems in the back of the property. I am not 100% sure what is there. Hope to find out soon.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:30 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Stranded In A Winter Wonderland

chakoo wrote:
Really nice. Subdued colors goes well with the overall image.
When you approach a shot like this, do you shoot with the final aspect ratio in mind? I think this is 2:1 aspect ratio. Also do you use any panorama heads or normal ballhead? How do you deal with parallax error?

Sorry for so many questions. Panoramas really impress me, thinking of adding pano head to my kit.

Thank you Kishore. Sorry, I didn't have time to reply earlier

I will often either pan left/right with my camera to get a feel for the overall panorama. This is 2:1 ratio and is pretty much how I preconceived the image before taking it. For panoramas there are a couple things that will make your life so much more enjoyable making panoramas. A nodal rail and a levelling base. The rail being the most important to deal with parallax issues. You want your camera to pivot at the POV which is often the front element of your lens. The rail allows you to push you camera back so it pivots at the front element. Also, getting your tripod dead level is super important or you could have major challenges in post when stitching. This is where the levelling base can save a lot of time but is not necessary. Now that I have one I wouldn't go back to not using one. While shooting I try to overlap my images about 40-50% so stitching softer has enough to work with. I also shoot a frame or 2 extra wider than I need just to make sure to challenges when stitching. Avoid tilting up/down too much. This can create more challenges when stitching. A little lilt will work. I use PTGui for stitching and it has worked great for me.

Hope that helps.

Jan 31, 2015 at 07:53 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.