Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · What motivates you to shoot landscapes?

james milligan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What motivates you to shoot landscapes?

Photographing landscapes is an extension of my love of the out of doors. I am retried and now have the time and means to travel to places of interest. Since most of the travel is with my wife, photography does take a backseat . Although ,I must admit she has become very good with her iPhone and she gets the part about "the quality of light".So why do I photograph the world I love,-it gives me pleasure.

When you no longer look at an image as a sale but simply enjoy the world around you I think you have found your inner peace.

I will spend the next week with a group of photographers in Death Valley and the Valley of Fire recording what I see and what appeals to my eye. Moreover, I will enjoy being there.

Jan 30, 2015 at 09:47 AM
barrywinnipeg

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What motivates you to shoot landscapes?

I shoot landscapes for myself and my wife.

We were there, it was beautiful, or interesting, or scary & I want to remember that.

Plus I want my friends to say "You have a really good camera Barry"

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:08 PM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What motivates you to shoot landscapes?

Hi, it's the OP again. By luck I stumbled upon this show by my awesome local public television station:

Darkroom to Digital: An Oregon Art Beat Special
http://www.opb.org/television/video/cove-oregon-art-beat-darkroom-digital-oregon-art-beat-special/

If you aren’t familiar with Oregon you might find the beginning to be a bit slow. But it gets better and better. By 28:10 it is at the heart of why photography is still so relevant today. Ken Burns: “This photograph matters.” I highly recommend watching the whole show. As an avid photographer and Oregonian since 1992, it touched me like few shows do.

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:22 PM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What motivates you to shoot landscapes?

matthewsaville wrote:
So, that is my advice to anyone who is feeling down about landscape photography: Forget about creating eye-candy. Just use your eyes to actually enjoy a scene, and use your legs and lungs to get you there. Even if you spend the entire weekend huddled in a tent while it rains, it'll still beat sitting in an office.

http://photos.matthewsaville.com/New-Images/i-2bNfgcq/0/XL/mt-whitney-consultation-lake-sunrise-photographer-XL.jpg

Very nice post, Mathew. That image is wonderful, and it wouldn't be nearly as good without the photographer in it. But you know that already...

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:27 PM
andrew perkins
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What motivates you to shoot landscapes?

What an interesting thread here, really enjoy the responses.

I shoot landscapes because it's the only thing that keeps me sane while sitting at a desk 40hrs a week. To be able to look forward to and plan the next outing/trip or to simply process photos and relive that experience keeps me going. If someone else likes what I've created, awesome! If not, oh well, it doesn't take anything from the experience in getting to that point

Jan 30, 2015 at 02:07 PM
nburwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What motivates you to shoot landscapes?

andrew perkins wrote:
I shoot landscapes because it's the only thing that keeps me sane while sitting at a desk 40hrs a week. To be able to look forward to and plan the next outing/trip or to simply process photos and relive that experience keeps me going. If someone else likes what I've created, awesome! If not, oh well, it doesn't take anything from the experience in getting to that point

I am in the exact same position as you, Andrew. I don't shoot for anyone but myself. I'm not a professional photographer by any stretch of the means. I love to travel and bringing my camera is one of the ways I get to forever capture the places that I'm lucky enough to visit. Traveling is my way to escape from the stresses of my desk job.

-Nick

Jan 30, 2015 at 03:26 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What motivates you to shoot landscapes?

I shoot landscapes for personal enjoyment. I love getting outside and capture a beautiful scene. I love documenting the beautiful places I have been. What I don't like, is travelling just to take photos. I have found it very empty to plan a trip around taking photos. I like 500px though. Ya, there are some overdone photoshopped crap that don't deserve their accolades, but for the most part, I really enjoy looking at the great photography from around the world. Much like I enjoy checking out many photos here on FM.

Jan 30, 2015 at 06:00 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What motivates you to shoot landscapes?

I do it for Facebook likes.....

Seriously though, I love the thrill of witnessing truly special moments of weather and light, and then finally bringing those memories home in the form of a print. After spending days at a location, hours of strenuous hiking, or days without showering, nothing beats catching those natural moments that few people will ever experience. If not for photography, there is a huge chance I would have never visited a lot of the places I have been, and I probably wouldn't even know many of them existed. I will continue to let photography be my excuse to wake up well before sunrise, to hike up a mountain, to toughen out the cold, and to go on spontaneous last minute trips to truly amazing location.

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:33 PM
jeacaj

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What motivates you to shoot landscapes?

I love what I am reading here. Landscape is bringing me out of my 40 to 50hrs of computer work. With my wife, we like to go out and to find some retired places in the nature. We are fortunate to live in an area where we have a National Parc and also some beautiful domains in the nature. I am taking picture of what we like and I put them on my site to show to people how nice is our area. It's not stunning pictures like I see on 500px but they remind me the emotion of the moment. I don't post here because I don't have the quality of pictures that I see on this forum but I like what people are saying and to look at the pictures from places where I'll probably never go.

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:45 PM
jord217
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · What motivates you to shoot landscapes?

This is a great thread! My job is working as a ballistic and aerial photographer and I also shoot around 10-15 weddings a year. Landscape photography is my therapy to keep me sane. Not too much wiggle room when it comes to artistic creativity while working with the military My wife and I love to travel so being able to capture some nice moments along the way is a nice bonus. Like many others that have posted in this thread, it gives me motivation to explore and seek out awesome places that I otherwise may have never even known about. I've also made life long friendships with people I've met up with along the way. Can't ask for much more than that.

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:23 PM
roberto1979
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · What motivates you to shoot landscapes?

Maybe it's because I'm only 35 years old, or because my business and family keeps me way to occupied (or I'm just not intelligent enough to contemplate my place in the world), but articles like the one posted drive me crazy. I just don't understand this guy's existential crisis. People that get too involved with what everyone else is doing are IMO just wasting their life. Everyone these days thinks they need to define their exact place in the universe rather than just living in the moment.

4 years ago I took a shot at Jasper National Park that I absolutely loved. The only thing that would have made it better is if I had shot a multi shot pano so I could make a massive print of it. Since that time I have been back to that exact location probably 7-8 times. I've tried going at a similar time of day, in a similar time of year, and every time the conditions are always totally different. For me, that's what I love about landscape photography. You can go to the same place over and over, and never see the same thing twice. Each experience is totally unique. Making the effort to enjoy the nuances of each trip is what does it for me.

Jan 31, 2015 at 09:56 AM
DejanS
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · What motivates you to shoot landscapes?

1) expressing my creativity.
2) getting out there | nature.
3) publically depicting my ever evolving vision of Earth as seen from my eyes as one who works as a geologist, environmentalist, upstream oil & gas sector, and a professional photographer.
4) monetary gains...seeking millions upon billions of dollars in sales ;-)

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:28 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · What motivates you to shoot landscapes?

I love exploring. The sight of a trail going off in to the horizon, or going up a mountain, is a big draw.... I wonder where that goes! Going with a camera gives me another way to explore. Going back to the same place a lot of times gives me a great way to explore all the detail and all the changing conditions of that place. Like I've said before, I love having a national park nearby that I can return to on a regular basis.

It's good for the soul. Any time I'm out photographing (or fly fishing), that's all I'm thinking about. It's the joy/fun of being in "camera mode" or "fly fishing mode." I'm not thinking about anything else.

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:36 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · What motivates you to shoot landscapes?

To paraphrase Victor Laslo as he was speaking to Rick….

"We might as well question why we breathe.
If we stop breathing, we'll die.
If we stop celebrating the natural beauty that surrounds us, our soul will die"

Jan 31, 2015 at 06:43 PM
Zeph
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · What motivates you to shoot landscapes?

Forget all that mumbo-jumbo about bettering one's life, we collect photographs so we can remember where we've been...

Feb 01, 2015 at 10:40 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · What motivates you to shoot landscapes?

Zeph wrote:
Forget all that mumbo-jumbo about bettering one's life, we collect photographs so we can remember where we've been...

Yea, that too!

Feb 01, 2015 at 11:17 PM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.